Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re:How do we know this isnt a scam?

I will wait for a trial or a test version. I don't buy any mmorpg, before I tested it since AoC ^^

Screenshots may look great and vidoes awesome, but the playing of a game can be totally different.

Gimpel wrote:
    I will wait for a trial or a test version. I don't buy any mmorpg, before I tested it since AoC ^^

Screenshots may look great and vidoes awesome, but the playing of a game can be totally different.
    You would think I would have learned this lesson by now....so many game I preordered and hardly played when they gone retail.

Xsyon wrote:
    In a few weeks we'll be resetting the world and launching it from the main server for more beta and pre-order players to explore. I'm sure those players will be posting here to tell you more about the game experience.
    Will we have to pre-order to be in beta?

lildeath16 wrote:
    Xsyon wrote:
    In a few weeks we'll be resetting the world and launching it from the main server for more beta and pre-order players to explore. I'm sure those players will be posting here to tell you more about the game experience.
    Will we have to pre-order to be in beta?
    Yes. It is a beta/pre-release

I'm actually pretty happy about the concept of not having the site and forums up until the game is almost ready.

After following Darkfall for 8 years only to have it fail I've realized community hype can suck.

If I understand things correctly, pre-ordering gets you into Prelude and (room permitting) a bit of closed beta before that. But Prelude itself is for all intents and purposes an open beta of the game.

Now to be honest I am normally vehemently opposed to paying for beta access. However, Xsyon is a rather different beast. Free open betas cost a lot of money for an MMO. That's something that would only be practical with a major publisher. However, publishers tend to like games that are sure-fire hits. Innovate too much and they start seeing lots of risk, which leads them to look for other companies to invest in. Xsyon's feature list is extremely innovative, which probably scared the pants off the publishers.

So it really comes down to a Catch-22 in this case. Someone has to be willing to put up the money necessary to break the mold -- something that is desperately needed in the MMO world today! So Xsyon has forced me to change my stance a bit: I vehemently oppose paying to beta test a so-called AAA title, but if it's a small company that is truly trying to innovate I'm right there with you.

If the game flops, well it's only $40. That's still cheaper than most games today. If it's a success, I'm getting two free months of play plus the game itself. That's a good deal.

aurickle wrote:
    If I understand things correctly, pre-ordering gets you into Prelude and (room permitting) a bit of closed beta before that. But Prelude itself is for all intents and purposes an open beta of the game.
    No, Prelude is the beginning chapter of Xsyon. It will be the time where people come together to form tribes, build towns and explore the world before all the other events start to occur. It is a time where you will not have to worry too much about what might happen to you or your village while you are away.

aurickle wrote:
    Now to be honest I am normally vehemently opposed to paying for beta access.
    You are not paying for beta access. You are, however, pre-ordering for the game which comes with 2 free months, and a free in game item of your choosing.

Because you are pre-ordering, as thanks, we are allowing pre-orders into the server early, first come first serve basis.

Thanks for the clarification. Both ways, I still think it's a bargain!

Being that there is no NDA, are there any beta testers that can attest to all these features. Like many I'm tempted to preorder.

Kush wrote:
    Being that there is no NDA, are there any beta testers that can attest to all these features. Like many I'm tempted to preorder.
    Currently, no, all testing is done in house. There should be some going in around mid march though.