I don't see what's so wrong with having a map. Even though I have a good sense of direction, I never leave to go to a new place without looking it up on a map first, and some of my relatives still keep maps in their vehicles. The reasons for having maps in-game are the same reason why it's a good idea to have a map in-real life. If you get lost, you're screwed.

Now, I can understand not having a map that automatically guides you to where you need to go like most games have, but to totally forego an in-game map makes little sense to me. What I think might be cool is that you could have a map and then mark notations on it. Perhaps have it as a discrete object and if it gets too cluttered with notations then you might want to acquire a new one. That's just a thought, but like I said, I think there should be an in-game map of some type or another. Why bother to make it so tedious and have everyone alt-tabbing to look at an online map? Because that is all that's going to happen and people will bitch and moan all over gaming sites about it.