View Poll Results: What should be done with the Leveling system?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing

41 64.06%
  • Fix it

13 20.31%
  • Remove it totally

10 15.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shyndaar View Post
    First off, in games like this, Hardcaps are the dumbest thing ever because you can eventually reach a point where you cant go up anymore. Whats the point of that?

Second, if i wanna pick a few skills i enjoy and level them up a lot, i dont want to lose a substantial amount of those skills because i wanted to do something else. Say it takes a month of solid grinding to get to 100 in a skill. Then i want to grind something else to 100 for the next month. Then after that, i split my time across a few skills to get them to the 50s. So two full months after reaching 100 in the first skill, id hope its at least over 90 when i decide i want to do that some more.

Its one thing to grind a skill because its useful (like healing or something) and its another to grind it just to have it at 100. In either case i dont see a point of a level system. So you can add points to something to raise it faster? This is the sort of game where if time is really that much of an issue, you shouldnt be playing.
    I don't think skill points are intended to help you level other skills, they're more for maintaining your current ones. So say if I had a 90 skill in using axes and my clan needs me to help terraform so I stop using my axes for a week and non stop terraform. Well my axes skill degraded since I didn't use it down to 84. So I use the points I got from terraforming to raise it back to 90.

It's to keep you from having to constantly grind a single skill while at the same time not allowing you to master all skills.
    Skill degredation is not currently in the Beta so we're not yet seeing it's effects but when it's enabled you will.

Dont skills level up like 0-10 its 1 for 1. 11-20 is 2 to 1 etc? If thats the case theres no way leveling would help skill decay. Even if from 90 - 100 its 5 for 1, youd put 5 into a skill and then itd decay long before you level again.

There are much better ways to prevent players from being the same thing than with skill decay.

Dont skills level up like 0-10 its 1 for 1. 11-20 is 2 to 1 etc? If thats the case theres no way leveling would help skill decay. Even if from 90 - 100 its 5 for 1, youd put 5 into a skill and then itd decay long before you level again.

I'm not sure exactly how it works but I'm sure the dev's have done the math.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    There are much better ways to prevent players from being the same thing than with skill decay.
    Don't keep us all in suspense, why don't you name a few?

My suggestion is this: The leveling system, as it is, makes no sense.

The game emphasizes skills, but every time you level up you can raise skills that you might never have actually used. With this system, you could, potentially, max out a skill you never actually use. To me, this is silly and makes no sense.

I propose instead, that you should get a few points (or maybe just one) per level that affects your big stats (str, dex, etc).
    You can only add skill points up to 90. That is high, but not max, You also have to think about the decay on that skill.

Well now skill decay has been out for a day, so who knows how it works? Anyone? I dont have the skill levels to check mine are all still way too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimps View Post
    Don't keep us all in suspense, why don't you name a few?

Personally, I'd prefer a game with a skill system that lets players train whichever skills they like, but they can only have so many active skills affecting their character at anyone time. To change skills to would have to go to their home area. To hinder players from being the ultimate crafter, there should be a lot of craft skills and players would gain skill points based on their skill level in that craft and the recipes "level" such that a crafter would gain very little, if any, skill points at a high level using less advanced recipes. The learning rate of new skills could also be a function of total skills. But I don't think a skill decay is a good idea.
    I took this from the 1st page.

It's like in Eve-online, when you go out in an interceptor class ship with missles, then only certain skills that you have trained will help. Your skills in laser turrets isn't going to affect you. Your skill in battleships isn't going to give you any bonuses. You may have them, but they don't do anything for you at that time.

This system isn't practical in a game like Xsyon, because you can change your weapons and equipment on the fly. So instead of doing it like how Eve does it, Xsyon could have a point system that allows you to "equip" skills when you are at a totem or some other type of specific place. This way a person can train and level all the skills they want, take their character however they want, and not have to worry about a skill decay because they are limited in some other fashion.

This system isn't practical in a game like Xsyon, because you can change your weapons and equipment on the fly. So instead of doing it like how Eve does it, Xsyon could have a point system that allows you to "equip" skills when you are at a totem or some other type of specific place. This way a person can train and level all the skills they want, take their character however they want, and not have to worry about a skill decay because they are limited in some other fashion.
    Not a bad thought. As long as its not as dumb and completely asinine like Eve's system is. Could put Xsyon's "doing everything gives you XP" system to use and that, like you said, you just have XP or points that you assign around.

That's not exactly what I meant. What I meant is that of all the skills you have availible, you have a set number of points to "equip" the skills to your character while at some arbitrary place. Let's say we have six allocation "points." I want to be a melee support/control character today. I go to wherever and I'd equip my skills. I decide that for this role I want to take "Swordsmanship" so I can use swords, "Finese" so I can attack quickly and use less stamina at the cost of damage, "Dodge" so I can use less stamina to dodge/move quicker, "Basic Medicine I" so I can heal a little bit of damage or a basic status from a teammate, and "Use Toxin I" and "Use Toxin 2" so I can use a nice variety of different status effects. While I'm out killing things, I'd be gaining skill points in these areas. I'd get the bonuses from them, but not from any other skills I have. So if my sword breaks and I switch to an axe, then I might be able to put a toxin onto the axe, but I wouldn't get any of my Axe usage skills. (Yes, I'm aware most of the skills I used aren't in game).

So far I don't see a big problem with it. It's not as bad as all have thought it to be I beleve the decay is very slow. I stay logged in even when I sleep and my skills I really cant say have went down at all thats in a 24 hr time frame now.

The system works and is fine the way it is if you ask me.