View Poll Results: What should be done with the Leveling system?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing

41 64.06%
  • Fix it

13 20.31%
  • Remove it totally

10 15.63%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by lp0okmnji9 View Post
    So far I don't see a big problem with it. It's not as bad as all have thought it to be I beleve the decay is very slow. I stay logged in even when I sleep and my skills I really cant say have went down at all thats in a 24 hr time frame now.

The system works and is fine the way it is if you ask me.
    you're not seeing the skill decay yet, as "Skill" decay isnt in...see quote of Xsyon that follows

What was implemented is a stat gain and decay system (strength, agility, intelligence etc.). Your stats shift based on skills that you use (not necessarily skills that you gain skill in).

Skill decay will work in a similar fashion, but it will take into account skills gained using skill points when you level up. If some skills are not gaining fast enough, these will be balanced out.

Both stat and skill decay are minor and meant to create balance instead of having everyone trying to grind to max everything out.

I like the system the way it, myself. I like the soft cap, and I would really hate to see a hard cap. Too restrictive!

I like what's been said about the way the stat and skill system are supposed to work. Considering that we haven't seen the system in full yet, shouldn't we wait for that instead of already trying to get changes.

I agree lets give it some time to see how it pans out , Ultima Online tried skill decay in the early days but it was to hard to ballance and it meant you had to do specific things each time you logged in to stop decay for them skills for that day, The devs have most likely learnt from this system im sure, It would of been good in UO to be able to issue points like is planned in this game. I dont see a problem with the system. If you wanna waste your level points on skills you dont use be my guest but remember that the ones you want to raise will decay at high levels if you dont prop them up. UO also implemented a hard cap eventualy and gave you up arrow,down arrow and lock for each skill and a 700 point cap to distribute how you want across all skills, You dont wanna travel down that path it becomes a bad case of "Template Clone Wars" been there done that. #Lets just see how this works before getting all upset it is to early to worry about it just yet

My 2 cents

A) This isn't grind-fest where you absolutely must level all skills. That's a Darkfall flaw people seem to bring with them. The system of decay is reflective of what skills you actually do and don't use and it makes sense. Like it or not, this game is "realistic" why else would they use accurate maps of real regions?

B) Not everyone should be able to learn every skill. Having a global skill cap works much better than a group cap. Hunting, logging, fishing, scavenging, should all fall under that cap in order to maximize character diversity... also makes those skills potentially profitable for the characters.

Fallout 3 has some nice cheats that let you max out all skills, stats and perks. It's fun at first but gets old, fast. No game should intentionally make that into a valid feature.

I think you are correct. The system should work more like SWG. A tier system. Assign and remove accordingly. You build your toon to fit your needs.

edit: I'm refering to lp0okmnji9 in post #8

Quote Originally Posted by shyndaar View Post
    First off, in games like this, Hardcaps are the dumbest thing ever because you can eventually reach a point where you cant go up anymore. Whats the point of that?

Second, if i wanna pick a few skills i enjoy and level them up a lot, i dont want to lose a substantial amount of those skills because i wanted to do something else. Say it takes a month of solid grinding to get to 100 in a skill. Then i want to grind something else to 100 for the next month. Then after that, i split my time across a few skills to get them to the 50s. So two full months after reaching 100 in the first skill, id hope its at least over 90 when i decide i want to do that some more.

Its one thing to grind a skill because its useful (like healing or something) and its another to grind it just to have it at 100. In either case i dont see a point of a level system. So you can add points to something to raise it faster? This is the sort of game where if time is really that much of an issue, you shouldnt be playing.
    So because I have a job and a life I shouldn't be able to play Xsyon? You're so hardcore with all your free time. I am so envious of your rich and fulfilling life.