Quote Originally Posted by shyndaar View Post
First off, in games like this, Hardcaps are the dumbest thing ever because you can eventually reach a point where you cant go up anymore. Whats the point of that?

Second, if i wanna pick a few skills i enjoy and level them up a lot, i dont want to lose a substantial amount of those skills because i wanted to do something else. Say it takes a month of solid grinding to get to 100 in a skill. Then i want to grind something else to 100 for the next month. Then after that, i split my time across a few skills to get them to the 50s. So two full months after reaching 100 in the first skill, id hope its at least over 90 when i decide i want to do that some more.

Its one thing to grind a skill because its useful (like healing or something) and its another to grind it just to have it at 100. In either case i dont see a point of a level system. So you can add points to something to raise it faster? This is the sort of game where if time is really that much of an issue, you shouldnt be playing.
I don't think skill points are intended to help you level other skills, they're more for maintaining your current ones. So say if I had a 90 skill in using axes and my clan needs me to help terraform so I stop using my axes for a week and non stop terraform. Well my axes skill degraded since I didn't use it down to 84. So I use the points I got from terraforming to raise it back to 90.

It's to keep you from having to constantly grind a single skill while at the same time not allowing you to master all skills.
Skill degredation is not currently in the Beta so we're not yet seeing it's effects but when it's enabled you will.