View Poll Results: What should be done with the Leveling system?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing

41 64.06%
  • Fix it

13 20.31%
  • Remove it totally

10 15.63%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fix the leveling system.

My suggestion is this: The leveling system, as it is, makes no sense.

The game emphasizes skills, but every time you level up you can raise skills that you might never have actually used. With this system, you could, potentially, max out a skill you never actually use. To me, this is silly and makes no sense.

I propose instead, that you should get a few points (or maybe just one) per level that affects your big stats (str, dex, etc).

If you do not use that skill then you will loose those points that you place into it. The skill decay is not yet implemented.

Xsyon Citizen
    Also as I understand it the skill points you can assign after leveling are meant to be reflective of what your character is doing in the downtime when your not playing. So it doesn't make no sense, just little.

Thats what i dont like about skill decay. I can do something until i perfect it and max it and then do something else and then im penalized for not mindlessly doing one skill for eternity. I hope skill decay is painfully slow. Id rather just do a skill and max it out and move on to something new and go back when i have to without having to relearn it. Sure, thats realistic, but i dont want realistic, i want fun. I invested enough time going from 0 to 100, that i shouldnt have to invest too much more time in that skill every time i want to use it after a break from it.

You shouldn't be able to max out every skill and thats why there is skill decay. The other option would be to set hard cap for skills and letting you master lets say 2,5 skills.
    But then you couldn't respec that easily and be forced to do what you've learnt for eternity or reroll your character. I think skill decay is a good idea.

Skill decay is to prevent people from ever "maxing" a skill and forgetting about it.

If I'm not mistaken skill decay is faster the higher the skill level and the more total skil points you have. The leveling system is designed so that by performing actions using other skills gives you just enough to counteract the skill decay on your main skills.

Sort of like an upkeep for your main skills. But not enough to allow you to be high skill in everything. The Dev's are taking the view that you should be able to be a jack of all trades but a master of none if you want or you could specialize and be really good at one thing.

It's great in my opinion since other games have tried the "you can max out everything" approach and found out that it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by shyndaar View Post
    My suggestion is this: The leveling system, as it is, makes no sense.

The game emphasizes skills, but every time you level up you can raise skills that you might never have actually used. With this system, you could, potentially, max out a skill you never actually use. To me, this is silly and makes no sense.

I propose instead, that you should get a few points (or maybe just one) per level that affects your big stats (str, dex, etc).
    You can only add skill points up to 90. That is high, but not max, You also have to think about the decay on that skill.

Well now skill decay has been out for a day, so who knows how it works? Anyone? I dont have the skill levels to check mine are all still way too low.

So far I don't see a big problem with it. It's not as bad as all have thought it to be I beleve the decay is very slow. I stay logged in even when I sleep and my skills I really cant say have went down at all thats in a 24 hr time frame now.

The system works and is fine the way it is if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by lp0okmnji9 View Post
    So far I don't see a big problem with it. It's not as bad as all have thought it to be I beleve the decay is very slow. I stay logged in even when I sleep and my skills I really cant say have went down at all thats in a 24 hr time frame now.

The system works and is fine the way it is if you ask me.
    you're not seeing the skill decay yet, as "Skill" decay isnt in...see quote of Xsyon that follows

What was implemented is a stat gain and decay system (strength, agility, intelligence etc.). Your stats shift based on skills that you use (not necessarily skills that you gain skill in).

Skill decay will work in a similar fashion, but it will take into account skills gained using skill points when you level up. If some skills are not gaining fast enough, these will be balanced out.

Both stat and skill decay are minor and meant to create balance instead of having everyone trying to grind to max everything out.