Xsyon Citizen

First Steps and First Impressions.

Before you read the text below, please bare in mind its my oppinions on the game, and what ive played so far... im fully aware its in the beta stages, and no game is polished or a finished product in the Beta phase...

Ok, so my first Steps into Xsyon and I have to admit I was taken away with the Terrain, and the detail it held. Amazing is all I can say!
    Ground Textures look great, realistic and life like, same goes for the Trees.

And to be honest my first few steps, were not really steps, they were more chop chop chop, I really couldn't resist getting my Axe out and chopping down a tree or 2, and i was not let down by the graphics of the tree falling... TIMBER!!!!!

Moving on to the 2nd most visual aspect of the game the UI....
    I've got to admit i've seen better UI's but this UI is clean, crisp and does exactly what its ment to do, however... there are a few points of the UI that I didn't like and ill note everything I dont like/get along with in a list down below.

After this the Character, the toon... the avatar... walking, turning, strafing, running all look good, Sprinting and Jumping however need a bit of work.
    Sprinting looks like some funny animation from the ministry of silly walks, its really over the top. Jumping isnt really jumping at this stage... jumping in game at the moment is more like you're toon elevating in the air, then moving forward, its not very fluid.
    Swimming however is fine, not noticed anything with it thats worth mentioning.

I've not tried all of the actions but Scavenging, Gathering and wood cutting along with the crafting side of it all look to be really good animations, for example woodcutting, when cutting down a tree, you actually look as though your hitting the tree, and then it falls... which just finishes it off nicely (I would like to see some sort of damage animation on the tree, so when you chop at it, a little bit of the tree gets chopped away).
    Gathering looks great, bending down to the ground to pick which resource your gathering, no problems there, same as scavenging.

But thats about as good as MY experience gets with this so far...(Granted i've not played it long).

Problems i've encounted so far:

- Huge amounts of Lag (for a game thats due to be released in around 1months time, you would think this would be atleast be reduced by now).
    - No Tooltips on hardly anything to give players an idea on what anything is, or does. For example... Scavenging: collecting Metal scraps puts into your carried items that is put on your back, you can see this by the scraps of metal actually on your back, but then what do you do with it? well you have to right click on the scrap metal in your carried items box and select sort, this then puts the metal into your inventory.
    Now im not a total noob to mmo's I have quite a long history of mmo and mmorpg experience, but even I had to ask other people how to sort it, there is nothing implemented yet to show players what they need to do in order to make use of scraps.
    This isnt just for scavenging its for everything ingame at the moment. we need more Descriptions on items.
    - Because of the lag its impossible to use the Bins/Baskets that tribes are using to store items in, we keep getting the message, this is already in use, i'm assuming this will be sorted once the lag is corrected.
    - Resting or sleeping, is slightly bugged in animation, when your turn your camera to look around you while you are resting, your whole body moves round aswell... slightly wierd.
    - One of the most annoying is the fact we cant break stacks of items up yet which is slightly annoying, as you can easily become encumbered by 1 stack of an item.
    -When picking up logs then placing them, its just blind guessing where you will actually put the log on the floor, it goes infront, but it would be nice to have a system that you can place log where you want exactly, then once you have the right place, you're toon goes over and does an animation to put it there.

Things I'd like to see added.

-I'd really like to see chat bubbles added to the game, i know some people dont like chat bubbles, but i know alot of people do so there should be an option in options to turn it on or off.
    -I know quests will be added shortly, so im going to assume that a Quest tutorial will be made to show people the most basic and advanced actions players will need to know.
    -I'd really like to see a map system implimented, perhaps not a full working map, perhaps a map that players in a tribe can help create together, for example when a player explores an area they can travel back with that infomation of the area, and add it to a tribe map for example.
    So players only have a map for the areas they have explored. (not sure how that would work but i like the idea)

Thats it for now.

Please dont assume im ranting im not, this is just my oppinion on the game so far as much as ive played.
    I know its in the Beta stages, but im really hoping this game will get a major overhaul and a much needed polish before its release in 1 month, because $40 to buy the game and then $15 per month subscription is a hell of alot of money.

Other than what ive stated above, the game as mega huge potential to be the best Sandbox MMO ever created, and im really looking forward to the release to see if anything gets altered.

please feel free to give your oppinions aswell.

Thanks

Very good read however, would like to note a few things:

There is a download to the manual in the announcements section and your account manager. And, tool tips are to come, you wouldn't of known that though unless you dug around in the forums deep enough.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtus View Post
    Very good read however, would like to note a few things:

There is a download to the manual in the announcements section and your account manager. And, tool tips are to come, you wouldn't of known that though unless you dug around in the forums deep enough.
    Yup i agree about the Manual, but i'm going to be honest here, now i've read the Manual, and its good it explains alot of features, so I would advise everyone to have a quick skim through to get to grips with the features, however... How many people can say they have read the manual to a game fully.

Speaking from experience, im soooo excited about getting a new release or game, that all im reading on the Manual is where to find the CD key.
    I guess all im saying is i hope this game is very user friendly, especially for those who are new to Sandbox mmo's and mmo in general.

However i would like to make a really important point... so far whilst watching the forums before purchasing the game, and then finally getting into the game, the community has and is outstanding... I can honestly say i've not found a community like it, always talking always offering help, i've not once seen a bad word or any sarcasm.

Keep up the great work Community

Its common for new players to come in as suggest we need to have a map but honestly give it a few days/weeks and you'll be fine. As you get to know your local area and surroundings its actually not too difficult to navigate. As for lag i dont really get any, (in the UK) and certainly havent found it problematic. Glad to see you giving it a go though and supposedly many of your enquires should be sorted for launch, like the tool tips.

oh and yes from me for chat bubbles asap!

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by bruisie159 View Post
    Its common for new players to come in as suggest we need to have a map but honestly give it a few days/weeks and you'll be fine. As you get to know your local area and surroundings its actually not too difficult to navigate. As for lag i dont really get any, (in the UK) and certainly havent found it problematic. Glad to see you giving it a go though and supposedly many of your enquires should be sorted for launch, like the tool tips.

Yeah I dont mean a map that shows the world, i mean the ability to actually create maps, so that a player/tribe can have there own map, with there own places of interest, that is created by players going out exploring, and bringing back there discoveries to share with the tribe and add it to the map. I dont know how that would work, but since this game is trying to be realistic as possible, we need to remember that map making/reading is still something that toons of this era can do.

Im from the Uk too, Sheffield to be precise, and im pinging at about 300ms the other night i was on 600... it varies

Xsyon Citizen
    I was very worried about the ping i get (from Sweden) so i asked about it and Jordi answered as below, doesn't mean that much to me since i'm not that familiar with server technology but i think i understand that the ping shown in game is not calculated in the same way as you see in most other games, or am i getting it wrong?

Regarding the ping, this measures ping + activity in the slowest server thread, so what it shows is higher than your actual ping and time critical commands are run through a faster server thread. This will improve as we continue optimizing things, but for now it’s primarily a measure that helps us gauge the servers processes and not just the player’s direct ping rate.

I’m glad you’re enjoying Xsyon so far! I hope I’ve answered your questions satisfactorily.

Jordi Grau Davis
    Notorious Games

I agree with almost everything this guy said. And chat bubbles would be very awsome +rpg