Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think having characters able to max any skill they want, but only being able to have the benefits from a few "active" skills at any one time is the best option. And make skills branch out into specalizations and sub-specializations so players can better differientiate themselves from one another.

As far as crafting. Have lots of crafting skills with branches and sub-branches and make it take a while to max any one particular branch, but have useful items through the leveling curve so crafters can actually sell their items.

I think some of you have misunderstood what is being said here. There is not a skill decay, there is a stat decay. So you can have 100 weapon skill in something, and it will never decay. The stat it effects (strength, endurance, agility) will decay if you do not perform tasks that make use of the stats. For example, picking up a log would involve strength, running in bursts and distances would involve agility, and a result of combat and other strenuous tasks would result in fortitude increases.

With this system, if you perform abilities only respective to one stat, only expect that one stat to be high.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
    I think some of you have misunderstood what is being said here. There is not a skill decay, there is a stat decay. So you can have 100 weapon skill in something, and it will never decay. The stat it effects (strength, endurance, agility) will decay if you do not perform tasks that make use of the stats. For example, picking up a log would involve strength, running in bursts and distances would involve agility, and a result of combat and other strenuous tasks would result in fortitude increases.

With this system, if you perform abilities only respective to one stat, only expect that one stat to be high.
    Im not concerned with stat decay at all. You'll find, that most things you do in game will involve 2 stats, so as long as you are doing stuff that you normally do, the stats you want to be maxed, will be maxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    I think that if someone wants to spend enough time grinding skills, they should be aloud to master many skills. But it needs to be made hard, and made to be a lot of work, so that it would turn most people off. As long as skill gain is "macro-proof", we dont want another Darkfall.

It shouldnt matter if combat and craft skills are in the same points pool, just so long as there is plenty of room to move. What I mean is, we dont want the point restriction of MO when we only have 1 character.
    I do not agree with that. I think i shoudlnt be possible to master many skills with spending enough time on grinding. Moreover combat and craft skills shold be in the same pool. If everyone can do everything there wouldnt be much need for specialized crafters. I think, that you should have to choose, if you want to be a fighter or a crafter.

I can't agree with you Gandhi, combat should be in separate pools. Crafters should be able to defend them selves and their tribe as well as fighters after all it's open PVP and you won't be able to avoid all the fights.

Besides someone who focuses on crafts won't be able to gain as much combat skills as someone who focuses on fighting, also combat requires player skill as well as in game skills.

Decay divided Grind Times Time Equals Diversity

There will be a soft cap on all skills, But even if your someone that can't play forty plus hours a week, I'm sure that we are going to be able to max out a few skills. Combat, Crafting, Fishing, What ever.

I like it, it adds realism to the game. Skill and stat decay makes perfect sense, whats the point in just maxing something out because you can, then not using it for ages only to find your still a master at it etc. If your using something on a regular basis i doubt it will even be noticed.

One example of benefits outside of the game is when a player leaves and then returns, they then have a goal to reach again, rather than returning with all those skills that they raised before hand still in place.

Hmm, Im not sure skills and stats will decay while logged out. Other games Ive played with skill and stat decay, they only decayed while you were in game, and not using them, if you were logged out, they wouldnt be effected.

I would like some clarification from Jooky there if we could.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    I can't agree with you Gandhi, combat should be in separate pools. Crafters should be able to defend them selves and their tribe as well as fighters after all it's open PVP and you won't be able to avoid all the fights.

Besides someone who focuses on crafts won't be able to gain as much combat skills as someone who focuses on fighting, also combat requires player skill as well as in game skills.
    They can defend themselves if they choose to spend their skill points in that manner. It's a choice. A skill-based system should allow people to use most skills on a very basic level, anyway. You'd have them, but just wouldn't be very good unless points were invested.

Trade-offs give games depth with regard to interdependency, which affects the entire scope of things and creates a lot of metagame situations (a good thing). Without any of that, you may as well cut out all character development and just give us maxed characters from the start.

Spending skill points from leveling will be less relevant than skill gain form using skills(I guess). With softcap where it's harder to get next point with every point gain limiting to one pool with 3 skill groups is forcing classes into classless sytem. As I said someone how devotes themself to carfting won't be as good at fighting as hunter/bountyhunter or smothing like that. There's plenty of skills in these 3 gropus to focus on, no need to limit people to one skill/skill group.