Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Skill degrade concerns

- Stat gain and decay system. This is a gradual gain and decay based on what skills you use. The system is designed to adjust your stats over time and has limits to prevent advantages from grinding.
    I have concerns about this. I have never had a gain in hunting or any combat skill, in spite of killing and harvesting many many creatures. I'd hate that because I'm not constantly fighting, or just a non-crafting PKer, what skills I do manage to gain in those areas, will be dwindled because I am busy helping my tribe do constructive things around the camp.

I completely agree with Deacon.

I have never once gained a single combat skill for killing an animal or person. The skill would decay faster than any of us could maintain or improve it.

What was implemented is a stat gain and decay system (strength, agility, intelligence etc.). Your stats shift based on skills that you use (not necessarily skills that you gain skill in).

Skill decay will work in a similar fashion, but it will take into account skills gained using skill points when you level up. If some skills are not gaining fast enough, these will be balanced out.

Both stat and skill decay are minor and meant to create balance instead of having everyone trying to grind to max everything out.

Skill decay isn't really that bad of a thing as long as the time in which said skill will decay without use is moderate... Any other game i've played with skill decay, you never really notice a decrease unless yougo AWOL for a week or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    What was implemented is a stat gain and decay system (strength, agility, intelligence etc.). Your stats shift based on skills that you use (not necessarily skills that you gain skill in).

Skill decay will work in a similar fashion, but it will take into account skills gained using skill points when you level up. If some skills are not gaining fast enough, these will be balanced out.

Both stat and skill decay are minor and meant to create balance instead of having everyone trying to grind to max everything out.

Any chance of the formula you are going to use?

Ok, I feel the need to post on this update.

I fail to see the logic behind how this is going to offer a solution to the grind involved in the game. In fact, I would go ahead and say that in my opinion, it is going to make it worse. It's already a meticulous grind as it is, but forcing us to have a constant battle with the decay system isn't making what is there any better. The bottom line is that if we strive to be useful in any aspect of this game, we are going to have to spend hours grinding. Having the stat decay system in is just going to make us spend more time on stuff we don't want to do in the first place. I mean, who wants to sit here and make grass baskets and bricks all day? I'm not going to judge you if you do, however, I doubt many of the people in this community would actually like to do something so monotonous.

I just don't see how this update "fixes" grinding, because after approaching it from all logical viewpoints I've come to the conclusion that it does not.

Unless you meant that it forces people to work together, as people would only have the availability to be proficient in one aspect of the game at a time. This is, however, not what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post

That means, it will be not a grind-game like Darkfall, in which you were able to max almost every skill out with sepending enough time for grinding?

Because in Darkfall, the developers also promised a kind of soft cap to prevent the game of becoming a grind-ame. But that didnt work.

I would hate to see Xsyon turning into a grind-game. In my opinion the best thing would be a hard skill-cap like in UO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
    That means, it will be not a grind-game like Darkfall, in which you were able to max almost every skill out with sepending enough time for grinding?

Because in Darkfall, the developers also promised a kind of soft cap to prevent the game of becoming a grind-ame. But that didnt work.

I would hate it, so see Xsyon turning into a grind-game. In my opinion the best thing would be a hard skill-cap like in UO.
    It didn't work, because they never finished the mechanic of soft cap/skill decay. It was never turned on. The skill management commands were ingame via /help (not working, obviously), but I'm quite certain that once they noticed how fast everyone was macroing and exploiting their way far past the soft cap curve in those first few months, they were like: "Oops. Now what?"

The commands were taken out of /help about 4 months after launch.

Skill decay needs to come with a soft cap. Once at the soft cap, any skill points earned over it should decay in a quick fashion. This basically acts as a hard cap. Or... Just put in a hard cap to make it simple.

Whatever happens, all points should count towards the cap. I have no idea if anything has changed with combat versus crafting skills, but every skill should be taken out of the same pool of points. It worked very well for Pre-NGE SWG. Players were either combat focused, crafting focused, or any style in between. There was rarely ever an "OMG I can't be a master of everything" post in those forums.

I think that if someone wants to spend enough time grinding skills, they should be aloud to master many skills. But it needs to be made hard, and made to be a lot of work, so that it would turn most people off. As long as skill gain is "macro-proof", we dont want another Darkfall.

It shouldnt matter if combat and craft skills are in the same points pool, just so long as there is plenty of room to move. What I mean is, we dont want the point restriction of MO when we only have 1 character.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    I think that if someone wants to spend enough time grinding skills, they should be aloud to master many skills. But it needs to be made hard, and made to be a lot of work, so that it would turn most people off. As long as skill gain is "macro-proof", we dont want another Darkfall.

It shouldnt matter if combat and craft skills are in the same points pool, just so long as there is plenty of room to move. What I mean is, we dont want the point restriction of MO when we only have 1 character.
    Absolutely agree.