Xsyon Citizen

Feature (Hunting)

Today, I actually got the time and the chance to do hunting, so I wanted to give feed back from what I got out of it. Please feel free to comment on all similar experience or different.

Hunting:
    Creature(s): Mule Deer
    Difficulty: Very Easy
    Terrain Type Found: Mountain Tops near a Waterfall
    Quantity: Four(4)
    Adult(s): Three(3)
    Youth: One(1)

Experience:
    So I will give my experience in two parts; Like(s), and Dislike(s). At the end of each I will leave a comment.

Like(s)
    +Animations
    +AI
    +Damage(Taken my me)
    +Pack Concept
    +Skinning & Boning
    +Decapitation

Comment:

First of the fact that I even found one at this time of year in the game was awesome. I rather like how the Animations worked on each of the creatures, along with some of the AI of which I liked, and disliked. AI, this one I liked only to an extent, the (Pack control, and protection, and then the Fleeing.) The Damage I took from them, I felt was fair, maybe they could have done a little more, I mean they are twice(2x) my size but, I understand. The obtained loot was cool too, yet I expected more out of the Decapitation; though it was still cool to have a head in my inventory.

Dislike(s):
    +Too Easy to Kill
    +AI Tracking (Path-Finding)

Comment:

Truth is they were way to easy to kill, more health would be better, and possibly a damage increase to their target. The AI Tracking vs the environment was a bit off. The creature simply kept trying to run up a mountain that was too steppe, though I know this is hard to correct.

Overall:
    Considering this is my first time killing anything(Being Honest), I would have to say it is an impressive system, and creature. Obviously there are tweaks that need to be done, and we are still in beta, but I would easily say this feature has potential in it's future.

Note
    This is completely based off my opinion, I do not claim this to be a fact for a majority nor a minority, just simply my opinion as an individual.

Re:Feature (Hunting)

I've never been hunting so my opinion is just on how I assume deers would react, but the usual reaction would be for the does to run away? Not mob the player en mass. As for the stallions I'd guess the usual reaction would be to run unless cornered. Does seem a little weird walking down a road to get mobbed by racoons and deer. (Or has the apocolyptic event made the creatures agressive?)

also not keen that you can get 20+ bones and only 1 bit of leather for each creature.

HOME Page http://www.xsyon.com/home said:
    Modern technology has consumed itself. War has ravaged the planet, opening a rift to another reality. The survivors of the grisly destruction rise from the ashes of ruin to encounter a world that has changed. A world that once existed only in the realm of mythology, legend and imagination has become concrete and very real. You have forgotten the past and are welcomed by a new primitive future.
    A rift to another reality is what it said, So I am thinking that we have not seen any of the wild stuff yet. But I always like to try ans remind myself of that one part when things don't seem just right. This is not the world that always was. It looks, And feel a lot like it, But that earth is not our world. So maybe in this new world, So racoons and deer charge forward, When they should be fleeing, That may be the way of this world.

Xsyon Citizen

Yeah, the Path-finding seemed shocked, and I do agree every deer I have met runs in fear unless your have head lights on it then they just stand there. However I have seen some bucks in my life that are very aggressive, but will run.

But I believe they might improve on it in the upcoming weeks. But I could be wrong.

Xsyon Citizen

Actually as for as the 20 bones and 1 bit of leather... I agree with you on that, I do thing you should get at least 5 peices, the 20 + bones makes sense but not the lack of leather.

Cavious wrote:
    Actually as for as the 20 bones and 1 bit of leather... I agree with you on that, I do thing you should get at least 5 peices, the 20 + bones makes sense but not the lack of leather.
    It could be that he just wanted to provide plenty of bones for the bonecrafters since they went so long without a good source of them and never had a chance to test recipes until hunting was turned on.

Personally I'd like the see the number of bones recovered reduced a little, hide and fur replace leather, and leather and fur removed from the junk pile resources. Maybe make it so you can scavenge leather once in a while in the junk piles but gathering it as a resource is kind of silly. Also, you shouldn't get leather directly from a kill. Hopefully you will have to craft leather eventually from an animal's hide.

And I assume meat will be something we can obtain from kills once cooking is in.

Currently all animals are running with aggressiveness maxed out. This will be changed.

Would be nice if there were more critters about. Also, would be awesome if when they died the walking sound would stop when they hit the ground. It is very annoying to hear a deer or coyote running around when it is dead.

Edit: Also would be nice to be able to drag a critters body out of the water. I killed a coyote in the middle of the river but could not harvest because I had to swim. Either restrict them from swimming in the rivers,(which would be a shame because the animal swimming animations are very nice.) or add the ability to drag or harvest while swimming.

Also, would be awesome if when they died the walking sound would stop when they hit the ground. It is very annoying to hear a deer or coyote running around when it is dead
    Yes, this has been fixed and will be ready in our next update.

I accidentally punched a coyote to death because I forgot that my knife was in my other hand.
    Pros-
    I punched a coyote to death
    Cons-
    Coyotes can be punched to death

I enjoy the hunting, even if it does fill my inventory up with heads.