Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not criticizing your navigation skills Will, but wouldn't the person running from the bear have gotten home faster if he simply run NE?

Heh, yes he would, but we all know that running from bear in a straight line is a suicide :P

rofl, yes, yes he would have. But Charles is a newb, so didn't want him getting lost.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    Heh, yes he would, but we all know that running from bear in a straight line is a suicide :P
    That's a simple fix, just bring along a newbie who runs slower than you do.

This will be useful up until release when the coordinates are removed from the UI. Unless he's decided not to do that but that would surprise me.

Chunk, dont scare people...
    You know full well...to remove cords when there's no compass available in game would kill it.
    Jook would never FUBAR the new players that much, that 101 how to lose payin clients.

From what I've heard, he's decided to leave them in until they have a suitable alternative.

I think the coordinates are going to have to stay unless they plan to let players post permanent sign posts in the world and mark it in other ways as was done in the real world long ago.

There are many ways we used to get around, from paths, roads, signs, compasses, maps (yes, maps existed before air travel), reading wood signs etc. It would be hard to put all those mechanics into the game and without them it will be almost unnavigatable.

Before I found the above map it was really annoying having no map to navigate by, and I agree, it would be much more useful if it had major points of interest on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleran View Post
    I think the coordinates are going to have to stay unless they plan to let players post permanent sign posts in the world and mark it in other ways as was done in the real world long ago.

There are many ways we used to get around, from paths, roads, signs, compasses, maps (yes, maps existed before air travel), reading wood signs etc. It would be hard to put all those mechanics into the game and without them it will be almost unnavigatable.

Before I found the above map it was really annoying having no map to navigate by, and I agree, it would be much more useful if it had major points of interest on it.
    Signs from what I hear, are in the works. Also hearing the compass I posted is being considered, and that they like the "trading" maps idea, cartography skill, but we'll see.

Coordinates aren't too hard with some practice. While waiting for this wipe I went on a trek from 702 to 976 to learn to better use coordinates. I do really want signs though.