Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Why have an in-game map if no one knows how to make one? It's been suggested by myself, and a couple others now to make a "cartography" skill later on in the development of game, to allow the player to "make maps." Better maps, with increased size and detail could be made as the skill got higher. Then the maps could be traded in game, and who knows, maybe by "reading" hte map it would fill in some sot of player map generator deal, similar to in game maps of other games, but you'd have to "buy" it in sections and wouldn't have the map in an area till you bought it. Now that's something I'd like to see.

Maps aren't sandbox, now player generated and tradable maps, that's sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by willbonney View Post
    Why have an in-game map if no one knows how to make one? It's been suggested by myself, and a couple others now to make a "cartography" skill later on in the development of game, to allow the player to "make maps." Better maps, with increased size and detail could be made as the skill got higher. Then the maps could be traded in game, and who knows, maybe by "reading" hte map it would fill in some sot of player map generator deal, similar to in game maps of other games, but you'd have to "buy" it in sections and wouldn't have the map in an area till you bought it. Now that's something I'd like to see.

yeah that idea is perfect for a sandbox game, they do need to put somthing in hopefully they have already decided to add the skill in

Great guide

Very helpful thanks Will

Quote Originally Posted by willbonney View Post

I would agree but acording to the lore this is the real world after some event. maps exist in the real world so it makes sense that one might be available to the citizens of this world. Now if it was a findable resource (salvage) but you don't start with, or if you have to develope a skill somehow to know your location on the map, or something along those lines, that would be a good balance between the game being user friendly and keeping the chalange.