Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    -----not another thread about pvp

Gotta keep it fresh

I'm far from opposed to PvP but I don't want this game to be based completely on PvP. I want some raids and some danger but not at the expense of crafting and the teamwork that goes into surviving in this world.

PVP will be looked into/tweaked after release.

Jooky is currently aware that there is a bug with the damage calculations but currently does not have the time to hunt it down since he is busy with getting quests etc in before release.

He will be looking into a Mount and Blade style combat to see if it would be possible to implement something similar in Xsyon.

Combat and Conflicts is the last method of politics. During Prelude we will hopefully see several power houses which control certain areas but are in high need of other ressources. With breaking items we are in a constant need of ressources. So sooner or later everyone has to ask himself how to gain the extra ressources that my neighbour has. It can be done by trading, setting up trade routes/spots. But mostly you will need to defend or get other players ressources by killing him ingame. And these killing parts has to be made fair and the player interaction with the keyboard and his hand/eye coordination should determine the outcome of every combat. Ofc Stats play also a role but they shouldn't give a unfair, unbeatable adventage over others.

The Combat basics are good atm on the papper but its a fast spamfest. If the time between attacks is abit slowed but the ability to block fast is still given it should be really well balanced. Ranged Combat with Free Aim is kinda easy to implement the trick is to balance ranged and close combat. If you really want M&B Combat you need also the same camera position as M&B and that means close 3th Person Perspective....close 3th person will also add alot immersion to your character i think and how you see the world as world and not as editior

Also important is that full fighters ( high stats in combat abilites) can't be good crafters and really good crafters can't be good fighters, that means booth need each other. The PVPer need the better items to get an edge over his opponent and the crafter need the PvPer to buy his items or for protection while crafting ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by naughty View Post
    it needs more work. to be honest the combatsystem is horrible and a real sandbox mmo needs beside of crafting, exploring and socializing open pvp with a nice combatsystem.
    for the people who hates open pvp in xsyon: why dont you play minecraft?

i need the thrill in a sandboxgame to be killed everytime everywhere, its the spice in xsyon. sure, after release eveybody needs first to build up his village/kingdom, but after that i wish to have territorial conflicts, politics between villages and tribes, thats the longterm motivation to play this game.

the animations need a little bit more love too, for example it looks really weird when u sprint.

i hope the devs dont forget the pvper in xysion, a good sandbox needs it.

cya ingame
    I'd have to ask, for the person who wants open PVP in Xsyon, why aren't you playing Darkfall?

Sandbox style games are not synonomous with unrestricted, open world PVP, in fact, EVE, one of the more successful sandbox style games has very controlled pvp in fact, with many rules, and provide players with the ability to avoid PVP completely if that is their desire.

Xsyon should consider doing the same, as nothing kills a good game than unrestricted PVP that does not punish the lawless in a manner that deters them from chosing that lifestyle, much as in the real world.

And no, you can't rely the players to enforce the law themselves, there never are enough incentives/advantages/rewards for doing so, the game gets too skewed to the lawless.

Just look at a country such as Eithopia if you want to see a real world example warlords endlessly batteling each other with no real controlling moral and social order. Certainly not a society we should strive for in real life or our game worlds.

But if players fight each other and it they have nearly no outcome on the fight because its a random clickfest they will get bored too. You need a reason to craft all these items. The thing in Darkfall is that the best fighters are also theb est crafters, there are only 2-3 known crafter that don't PVP so you don't really need the crafter type of player. This game here has path you can choose and all these path's should have there pro/cons and all should make fun. Means each part of crafting should be fun and worth exploring but alos the combat types archery and meele should be fun and well made so if you like these type of playstyle you can schoose it. The griefing and meaningless PVP will not happen here i guess because of the algiment system, after there baskets got lootet twice evil tribes will think about there aligment. Also evil PvPers leaves room for good PVPers which will be the first conflict in Xsyon iguess. All these fights have to be supplied by crafters.

and yes EVE has also safe zones but that only works because the big alliance fight over ressources everytime....

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleran View Post
    I'd have to ask, for the person who wants open PVP in Xsyon, why aren't you playing Darkfall?

Sandbox style games are not synonomous with unrestricted, open world PVP, in fact, EVE, one of the more successful sandbox style games has very controlled pvp in fact, with many rules, and provide players with the ability to avoid PVP completely if that is their desire.

Xsyon should consider doing the same, as nothing kills a good game than unrestricted PVP that does not punish the lawless in a manner that deters them from chosing that lifestyle, much as in the real world.

And no, you can't rely the players to enforce the law themselves, there never are enough incentives/advantages/rewards for doing so, the game gets too skewed to the lawless.

Just look at a country such as Eithopia if you want to see a real world example warlords endlessly batteling each other with no real controlling moral and social order. Certainly not a society we should strive for in real life or our game worlds.
    you cant compare xsyon with darkfall. darkfall is not a sandbox mmo in my opinion. its more like a big seemless quake-arena. crafting is very boring and simple, all cities and hamlets ingame are premade, you have no sand in the box to build your own kingdom.

you cant compare xsyon with darkfall. darkfall is not a sandbox mmo in my opinion. its more like a big seemless quake-arena. crafting is very boring and simple, all cities and hamlets ingame are premade, you have no sand in the box to build your own kingdom.
    crafting in DF is the same as in Xsyon, only how you get ressources and the amount is different. but true after playing Xsyon but its right DF is not a real sandbox

Well of course its simplified, DF is a combat game at its core, which is what the more PVP centric player seems to want, while the more PVE oriented player generally favors building activites such as found in Xsyon.

You really can't have it all you know, either a game is designed to be a full out death match which caters to a certain type of player or it favors those more of the carebear mind sets. The two player groups really can't co-exist peacefully IMO unless you put in very rigid controls such as CCP did with EVE.