Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Currency

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    Nails won't be currency and there's a simple explanation, you don't use money in crafting. We may use it as a base value, and build currency system around it.
    We'll some day run out of scavenged nails and have to craft them, and their value will most probably change.

I'm guessing $, beer tabs, bottle caps. It's the most obvious choice.
    I was saying that nails would be a form of currency because they are actually worth something and used in alot of things.it doesnt even have to be nails. Just something thats used alot and is valued by players. Different currencies would be worth more or less depending on how many tribes pick them. You might even find areas were they dont use it at all. . it will be really player driven because we actually get to choose whether to use it or not. most games its forced on you. And the option to allow tribes to pick there own currency is pretty cool. Devs definately did a good job here. They made it different and dynamic.

Blackice is right, money wont be used, resources will. Money has no value in game, and trying to force a value isnt going to work. Unless theres vendor NPCs (I hope not) that only accept $ and caps as currency, commonly used resources are going to be the main currency, because its something someone always needs.

I know what you meant. Nails are example, it could be anything, but currency can't be a craftable item or item used in crafting. At first we'll barter for things we need until we'll know rarity/value of things. And yes, we'll set this value based on simple items like nails, we'll say "ok, this is worth 10 nails and this 50". Then we'll have to choose non craftable items and say "this will be worth 1 nail, this 10 and that 50" also based on rarity.

Scenario 1
    If we use nails as a currency economy will be very unstable amount of nails in the market will vary changeing it's value. People would collect nails to pay with them -> less nails in market, boosts it's value, people will manipulate the value of nails for their advantage and it'll be hard to control it.

Scenario 2
    With scavenged non craftable item as currency it easier to control it's value, quantity of money would only raise, which would cause inflation, but thats natural and will be hard only on new players. We can set simple quests for new players to let them get thier first money and it'll be easier for them already.
    We can control value of money(tribes I mean). We can buy currency of the market(taxes, selling supplies) and boost it's value or we can release money on market(higher quest rewards, sallaries for tribe jobs) and lower it's value.

I hope you understand my point of view better now.

The only way we would see a currency being used is if...
    1. A large number of tribes in an area agree to use it, or spread through the world there are powerful/large tribes that agree to and use it.
    2. It is pegged to an item, or in simpler terms, there are ways to convert that currency unto an item in towns that use the currency. For example, as blackice said, perhaps nails. Every 10 Drokian BottleCaps or whatever are worth 1 nail.

You will never see a more modern style of currency because no one is going to have enough faith in it to accept it as a medium for trade.

I understand your concerns that usable items wont last long, but that doesnt mean they CANT be used. The Japanese used rice as currency for hundreds of years. And the Mesopatamians used grain. Its a system that works, and being able to manipulate is part of how an economy works... 1 person cant make a difference, but a lot of people can. After we run out of nails (we'll NEVER run out of nails) we just move onto something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Illmaculate View Post
    My tribe and my allies will go lock down all the, say, quartz in the game with our various tribes. We now have all the quartz. Want some? Too bad, it's a safe zone.
    Exactly... Gamekiller

Barter system will work and currency won't change it, it will be used in most trades between tribes, but it won't be practical in tribe's internal market and there will be one unless
    it's small tribe and everything is shared.

Tribes that will trade often, will set the same currency or exchange system for members. There will be currency market on tribal level to make things easier for members.

Nails and screws will have different values in different regions based on rarity that's why lowest set value and base value in barter trades will be probably grass which is common in all areas, but it can't be used as currency.

I think the example of lowest base value using grass is an abstract economic creation. I can't see anyone trading for grass, unless their access to it is greatly limited, which would then defeat your stipulation put on it that everyone has it.

I would think dirt would be a better example only because people can carry more than 4 units on them and I could see people trading large amounts. Also, I could see some tribes not wanting to mess up their land with big holes.

Regardless, even money in our society isn't just money. It's (supposedly) backed by gold reserves. Gold is rare and is useful in crafting...and it's shiny (doesn't tarnish easily if at all).

As for currency in game, I really don't see way the form of it can't change. Nails could be used, since currenly they can only be found, but once mines come in it would change to something else.

Currenly, I think saw or saw blades are top form of currency because of their usefulness and rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    Barter system will work and currency won't change it, it will be used in most trades between tribes, but it won't be practical in tribe's internal market and there will be one unless
    it's small tribe and everything is shared.

Tribes that will trade often, will set the same currency or exchange system for members. There will be currency market on tribal level to make things easier for members.

Nails and screws will have different values in different regions based on rarity that's why lowest set value and base value in barter trades will be probably grass which is common in all areas, but it can't be used as currency.
    Stop saying it CANT be used because it makes you look uneducated. If you and your tribe dont want to use nails/screws/bolts/rods for currency, then dont, but dont preach about how the most common and valuable items in game cant be used as currency.

In history we have seen resources used as currency. I refer back to Japan and Mesopotamia. And after that gold coins were used, now we use paper which represents gold. So if it has value, and is accepted in trade, then that is the defintion of currency.

I said that grass cannot be used as a currency, that's obvious, but it can be used as a based value to compare prices in different regions.

If you want to choose craft items as currency do it, it'll be easier for us to manipulate value of items.