View Poll Results: Would you like a map system similar to this?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 93.55%
  • No

8 6.45%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by trenixdecease View Post
    Very good idea, it's like a MMORPG map that needs to be occasionally updated and it could also be used as a craft. Wonder who gets the ability to craft the map though, I'm guessing the architect? Would definitely balance the game out, being that architects rarely scout. I'm also hoping that maps wouldn't take inventory space, maybe having it be part of the GUI or after using a crafted map your GUI map gets updated and the map disappears? That way, everyone will be able to update their map by scouting, but only architects could share their maps since they're the only ones that could craft them. Hope that makes sense...
    I like the idea, but frankly, I think everyone should be able to craft a map. Otherwise, loner players or small tribes may not be able to do it, and everyone should be able to craft one. Now, when it comes to placing specific types of markers based on a "Cartography" level, I love that idea. Of course, how you gain levels in something like Cartography, I'm not sure and I'm not sure if it's even necessary. The map system I'm suggesting is meant to be a simple craftable, tradeable, and updateable guide. It isn't really meant to be a full-fledged profession or craft.

Thanks for the feedback though everyone. I'm sure this could be refined and perfected, but I really do think the navigation and mapping should be done like this, as it complements the game's design much more than a simplistic GUI map that is already filled in or just gets filled in once.

I would honestly like to see something like this put into game.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    Awesome idea. I'd like to add some things.

If you'd be able to mark things like hunting grounds and junk piles, you should be able to choose if you want them on duplicate.

Maps should be simple, "skechy", with marked visible navigation points.

Maybe when using navigation tool, like sextant, it would show your position on the map.
    No, to easy , i you should only be able to duplicate the map as it is, if you wana sell empty maps then you just gota keep up two maps of your own, one whit note for yourself and tribe people, one empty one for sale and duplication.

And writing on a map should be permanent. non removal notes.

Great idea.

A simple version would be everyone has their own map that can be accessed by equipping it. When you have the mapping skill you can read other peoples maps and this adds to your own.

Similar to map trading in Civilization.

Until a map gets created the X/Y/Z system works fine for me.

Thumbs up

Map's bad idea altogether. Map's always lead to parsers and then easy tracking of others. No map is better cause it lets you rely on your own memory. I've played in one area solo for a bit before the last wipe testing things searching around and got to know the area pritty well. then moved to a tribe 3 sections away. I went exploreing again and wound up in my old area and right off the bat knew where I was cause I maped it in my head. So I knew where and how to get back to the tribe.

It's not hard to remember areas and learn them as you explore. Mabe in the future of xsyon when the world exspands more mabe then a map system would be nice. But right now i don't feel we need one at all. The land mass is huge but not to big someone can't learn the terrain. If you travel much at all an explore you wouldn't have a issue either. But right now i don't see a use for a map in the beginning. I personally don't like the idea people don't have to use there brain at least 3% of the 10% they can.

With maps no need to use brain. IMO that is when the game starts turning toward the other mmo's out and well I'm personally sick of all the other mmo's and is the reason I'm here. Right now I feel Developer time can be spent in better area's in the game than adding a map system at this time. I'm in no way downing a map system. Just right now i personally feel a map isn't called for cause as big as the area is now it's not that hard to draw in to your own brain. This is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lp0okmnji9 View Post
    Map's bad idea altogether. Map's always lead to parsers and then easy tracking of others. No map is better cause it lets you rely on your own memory. I've played in one area solo for a bit before the last wipe testing things searching around and got to know the area pritty well. then moved to a tribe 3 sections away. I went exploreing again and wound up in my old area and right off the bat knew where I was cause I maped it in my head. So I knew where and how to get back to the tribe.

It's not hard to remember areas and learn them as you explore. Mabe in the future of xsyon when the world exspands more mabe then a map system would be nice. But right now i don't feel we need one at all. The land mass is huge but not to big someone can't learn the terrain. If you travel much at all an explore you wouldn't have a issue either. But right now i don't see a use for a map in the beginning. I personally don't like the idea people don't have to use there brain at least 3% of the 10% they can.

With maps no need to use brain. IMO that is when the game starts turning toward the other mmo's out and well I'm personally sick of all the other mmo's and is the reason I'm here. Right now I feel Developer time can be spent in better area's in the game than adding a map system at this time. I'm in no way downing a map system. Just right now i personally feel a map isn't called for cause as big as the area is now it's not that hard to draw in to your own brain. This is just my opinion.
    I'm not sure if you read my idea because a lot of the problems you have with a map system are the same ones I have. The map system I'm talking about isn't exactly easy. In fact, we could even make it so you don't see a marker on your map for your position. That way you'd have to use land marks and your surroundings to determine your position.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaldren View Post
    I like the idea, but frankly, I think everyone should be able to craft a map. Otherwise, loner players or small tribes may not be able to do it, and everyone should be able to craft one. Now, when it comes to placing specific types of markers based on a "Cartography" level, I love that idea. Of course, how you gain levels in something like Cartography, I'm not sure and I'm not sure if it's even necessary. The map system I'm suggesting is meant to be a simple craftable, tradeable, and updateable guide. It isn't really meant to be a full-fledged profession or craft.
    I guess you're right, making a map doesn't take a expert. Map making based on landmarks, is actually a survival technique. By doing so, you can hand over a map to a group of people and have them get to a location and back without wasting time explaining, discovering, or memorizing the place before they continue with the task. For example, where to get berries, where to get water, where to fish, and even where to hunt. For a game such as this, it is even more valuable to do so being that your scouts might not always be logged on.

This sounds like a great idea.Would give players another reason to stray outside their comfort zone.

I like this idea a lot. I'm actually a little worried about finding people to trade with if there's no map system at all.