View Poll Results: Would you like a map system similar to this?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 93.55%
  • No

8 6.45%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    everything in this thread is cool but again it sounds like a pain in the butt to code.

Really its sorta like if you opened up windows paint and made the map while playing the game there. and then saved it to a file on your computer which would be shared with others.

I think something like this would have to wait until Reading and Writing was in place, to be honest i already know my area base on geography.

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    everything in this thread is cool but again it sounds like a pain in the butt to code.

Really its sorta like if you opened up windows paint and made the map while playing the game there. and then saved it to a file on your computer which would be shared with others.

I think something like this would have to wait until Reading and Writing was in place, to be honest i already know my area base on geography.
    I didn't worry about whether this would be tough for the developers to implement. I'd rather shoot for the stars and get something slightly less cool. Especially when the alternative could be something terrible or nothing at all.

Go big or go home.

Start out large then condense. Don't start out condensed.

Maps Feature

Before I get scalped on this one... I don't mean radar, mini map, or constant map of region at all times. I am thinking logically and realistically. The feature could take some time and be a lower priority to implement after primary and important things are added.

I believe it could be nice to be able to create a map of a zone. In order to use the full zone you must first manually travel it, in order to draw it up, then you would need to make annotations of important key points you wish to remember or convey.

Additionally maps should be trade able, to other players, to give possible resource locations, territory boundaries, trade routes, battle plans and such and therefore should be lootable.

You can give it as a higher end recipe, and require x amount of perception.

Maps however will not remain up to date with new structures, terrain change, etc. Requiring users/cartagraphers to update maps often.

These maps could provide a trade skill for those who enjoy exploring, to then sell their information and knowledge to other players as a valuable service.

This also opens up other abilities for spies to give out true or false information, or fake battle plans to throw off an enemy.

I believe a realistic implementation, as well as allowing the maps to decay with x amounts of use would be a fun bells and whistle type feature, that also gives a certain functionality.

Guides could also give maps of spawns to areas of interest to help avoid a newbie wandering in the wrong direction and ending up in an empty uninhabited area feeling no one lives or breaths in the world.

Like I said potentially something after primary features are added.

I do like the creating maps idea.

Maybe the map fades after some weeks and needs to be updated by an explorer :P

ddt, noted that this idea has been listed before some where within the forum.

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...highlight=maps

may need to have this thread merged with that one, as theirs is well laid out in the OP. could just throw my post in as a reply.

But yes I see significant uses for both guides and... regular users with a map feature.

yet another trade skill to be implemented into the game!!! yay Lets see how long we can level this one!!