Safe Area exploit?

Scenario: I'm a solo player, and I love to grief people. I run around in the wilderness and I see somebody collecting something/farming mobs/crafting/whatever. I get kind of close to this person and start a tribe, then proceed and attack that person and he can't fight back because it's my safe area. After I'm done, I disband the tribe and go look for next target. If this makes me go evil, then I will just use an alt and keep deleting him once he turns evil and give the loot to my main.

Scenario 2: "Good" griefers do this to "Evil" players w/out any penalty or risk.

Am I over thinking this?

Yes i also think that when you attack someone on your tribe area he should be able to fight back

Yes, you're over thinking it.

Scenario 1 cant be done, because if you are in your safe zone and attack another player, you can then be attacked in your own safe zone. If this isnt working now, it should be reported as a bug, cos that is how it is reportedly supposed to happen.

Scenario 2 is how things will work as normal. Evil players can always be attacked, anywhere, even in their tribe zones, by good players. Not sure about neutral players.

Not to mention you can only have one character, thus you will be evil. Thus no protection in the first place.

I believe it will require more than one player to start a tribe in the Prelude and beyond. So you would need to be a nomadic tribe to pull this off. Anyone out in the wilderness that sees 5 guys approaching them would be wise to run away as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Venciera View Post
    I believe it will require more than one player to start a tribe in the Prelude and beyond. So you would need to be a nomadic tribe to pull this off. Anyone out in the wilderness that sees 5 guys approaching them would be wise to run away as quickly as possible.
    Why run? If not evil, you'll just spawn right where you died.

Stay ungeared... Annoy the hell out of people even if they kill you.

Wow, people really arent up to date with the intended mechanics.

It is confirmed that 1 man tribes are in, full stop. Come Prelude, there WILL be 1 man tribes, nothing more to say.

Spawning will be done at your totem, this is supposed to be in by release, and I seriously hope it is, otherwise thats gonna seriously suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post

It is confirmed that 1 man tribes are in, full stop. Come Prelude, there WILL be 1 man tribes, nothing more to say.

Spawning will be done at your totem, this is supposed to be in by release, and I seriously hope it is, otherwise thats gonna seriously suck.
    You can't blame people for not being up to date. The information is scattered over hundreds of random posts and some info is simply outdated. But I'm glad to hear that if you attack somebody in your tribal zone then you can be attacked as well, big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post

Oh boy Kin, read todays patchnotes. Totems will require 10 members to place come prelude.

Just to help everyone understand how this afternoons ideas have moved so fast for few to keep up.... here is a brief run down....

Xsyon wrote
    What's going in before the final wipe?

As much as possible! At the moment we are focused on:
    - Crafting revisions.
    - Tribe placement corrections.
    - Differences between Tribes and Homesteads (single player totems).
    - Revised and safe starting locations.
    - Unstuck command.
    - Terraforming exploit fixes.

For the first few days after the final wipe, only Tribes of 10 members will be able to place totems. I may lower this number, based on current tribe sizes after I examine the database.

After a few days, solo players will be able to claim Homesteads.
    This announcement met with heavy resistance and lots of questions and some feedback and ideas which lead to these postings;

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    So reduce the size of the homestead... simple solution!!

That is what I am setting up.

The plan to let tribes place totems first is to prevent griefing. Another potential solution is to now allow players to place a totem, then disband, then place, disband etc. which is too easy for solo players to do. If I can implement this then solo players will be able to start tribes the same day as tribes.
    Also your idea in option 1 or 2 will not work as if everything goes right there will be timers on placing 1 man or small tribal totems so they only be placed / disbanded once every 24 to 36 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    You could always put a timer on "homestead" totem placement, once placed it CAN'T be disbanded for 24 - 36 hours, people would think about totem placement before just throwing one down anywhere.

Yes, this is what I'd like to do, if I can. The announced solution is to prepare everyone in case I don't have time. There are many things that need to be dealt with right now.

The main issue is not simply a solo totem claiming a lot of land. With the reduced land claim that should be ok. The main issue is other griefing tactics that have come to my attention.
    Hope this helps shed some light on the happenings of the solo totem and griefing ideas that have been brought up lately. Xsyon is working on ways for solo / small tribes to be able to place totems on the same day as the larger tribes and stop all the griefing tactics that seem to be the choice style of play for some.