Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Prelude=simple version of game with basic features

Can you clarify the way the Prelude works for people who are unfamiliar with the game? Are there a limited number of pre-orders? Is the release limited to a certain number of players? If so, what are the post-release expansion plans?

The Prelude is basically a simple version of what I originally designed many years ago. A lot of features are in a simple form, intended to get better with time as we grow the company and the game. It serves as a base for players to construct a virtual world that can then expand to support a lot of unique features I have planned. For those, you will have to stay tuned!
    I'm interested in this game, looks great. But when I read this over at http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01...syon-question/, it seems Prelude would simply be the beta state of the game which we pay for until they release more or all of the features this game should have?

What am I missing, it seems there's alot of happy players with this game and I'm very tempted to try it, but having a simple version of the game with basic features for the next 6 months or whatever until they flesh the game out seems kind of pointless paying for it right now ?

Cheers.

When we choose to invest our emotions and time, and ultimately money into these indie type, tiny dev team style sandbox games, we basically accept that we will be playing a perpetual beta. For many of us that is worth it. They can't just go on developing forever, with no funds. There comes a time when they must either launch or risk closing it all down. Having played what is in the game right now, it's easily worth it for me. To play in a world like this, as it stands right now, is better than any mmorpg that I have played since I started playing them with M59 in 1996, and I have played pretty much all of them. It just comes down to what you want. Different strokes for different folks and all that For me, anything added from this point forward is just gravy on an already delicious entree.

If you watch Saintbobs vids, and some other recent ones on youtube and you think "I don't know if this is worth my $40 right now", then it probably won't be. But ultimately, it sounds like a trial server will emerge, so people can evaluate it first hand

what is intresting is that even in its 'basic' stage its more complext then most MMOs. That said its good to always be safe with developers and play the game you like as it is currently and not invest to much hope into what is 'promised'.

Game is fun and i have my hopes high that the Dev's follow the route that they started ( hardcore rules, realistic world...sandbox). If Archery becomes similar to darkfall ( without the jumping ofc) i will switch to this game here since it has most sandbox features than any other game.

Thanks for the replies, was hoping for more input about this especially with over 150 views.

I look at Wurm Online because it seems to offer so much more which is missing from or not added to Xsyon yet. Such as cooking, building farms and growing crops, breeding animals and even building defense structures to ward off predator or player invasions. Does anyone know who has played Wurm know which of the two games have better crafting mechanics? Or did you once play Wurm but chose to head into Xsyon instead?

Cheers.

Thats a really good question!

I also wonder if anyone played Wurm on wild server alot can compare the two games.
    To me wurm seems better, altho very outdated but atleast you got stuff to do in that game.

In Xyson it feels like you build basic tent/house, terraform a bit, put up some walls, scavange, craft a bit. Thats all there is to it for 6 months?? I mean all the functions are very basic, its not exactly a new crafting style. Pick some stuff from a scrappile, use a tool and voila you crafted some shit. You cant even mine ffs (I want to be able to dig a tunnel underground), cant farm, cant tame animals. Shitloads of features missing... I mean what about furniture, decorations etc. Can you even lock doors (well theres not even fucking gates in the game...), and you cant drop shit on the ground, wtf is up with that (well exception for some items)?. Theres like nothing to manage.. World looks the same pretty much everywhere.

It doesnt seem or feel like a sandbox to me, feels VERY limited by options.

Sure the devs are promising it will come more features but 6 months wait? Wont everyone be bored to death? I mean theres ALOT of fixing that needs to be done, shitloads of features to be added.. Wouldbt be suprised if it took atleast a year to get half the stuff to work..
    I dont really see the deph of the game.

I am very interested in Xyson and will likely support it by purchasing. The feature list is incredible, the community seems nice. I don't know if I'll like the game, but there are so few others like it that I have to at least give it a try.

As for the state of the game at release, I really don't mind that it is a more basic version that will hopefully expand and improve. I just hope there is enough to do and see for a while. These games promote player made content, and so I'll assume that the community who remains faithful will be in there doing something for fun while the game grows.

I might be one of them . . .

Well it seems like I've already done everything by just playing for a day. Sure I've not build all types of buildings, havent found all recipies etc. But building is all same. You place a predone building, stuff it with random materials and create.

Same with crafting, pick stuff from scrappile, or ground etc hit crafting. Fishing, just rightclick the fishing skill, terraforming just click the dig, raise etc. Combat just spamclick mouse. Foraging and scavangering, click skill.

Theres just not much to do. Exploration sucks, hunting sucks, everything looks the same. It doesnt feel complex at all.
    However it does feel grindy with the random crafting-receipts. Just do the cheapest and fastest craft over and over and over again.

And you cant build anywhere you like, cant even dig at random. Must have a tribe where you want to terraform/build etc. Doesnt feel like freedom at all..

I want to like the game, its like wurm but better engine, altho that seems to be its only strong point. I guess I've made up my mind, I'll check back on the game in a month or two.

Or you could try to convince me why I should stick around at day 1..

Actually, http://twitter.com/SalemTheGame seems better.

Quote Originally Posted by gudn2k View Post
    Well it seems like I've already done everything by just playing for a day. Sure I've not build all types of buildings, havent found all recipies etc. But building is all same. You place a predone building, stuff it with random materials and create.

Same with crafting, pick stuff from scrappile, or ground etc hit crafting. Fishing, just rightclick the fishing skill, terraforming just click the dig, raise etc. Combat just spamclick mouse. Foraging and scavangering, click skill.

Theres just not much to do. Exploration sucks, hunting sucks, everything looks the same. It doesnt feel complex at all.
    However it does feel grindy with the random crafting-receipts. Just do the cheapest and fastest craft over and over and over again.

And you cant build anywhere you like, cant even dig at random. Must have a tribe where you want to terraform/build etc. Doesnt feel like freedom at all..

I want to like the game, its like wurm but better engine, altho that seems to be its only strong point. I guess I've made up my mind, I'll check back on the game in a month or two.

Or you could try to convince me why I should stick around at day 1..

Actually, http://twitter.com/SalemTheGame seems better.
    I think you are rushing things, and also not grasping the point of the game. This game isn't about grinding up your skills so you can make the best recipes. Its about building a world. Especially in Prelude.

You are also making it sound as if all buildings are just a recipe. Only very simple structures like tents are a single recipe. Nearly every other type of building is made up of various walls and other geometry, which are independently placed and combined to create basically any sort of building you want. The possibilities are endless so you most certainly did not "do everything" yet, not by a longshot. You may not enjoy designing and building a structure but it most certainly is NOT selecting a pre-done building then just stuffing it with materials. Its selecting pre-done PARTS, that are combined to make more impressive structures. This is the aspect of building that creative types are going to enjoy.

I challenge you to present a better and more feasible system for building than using tilesets. Should we all learn CAD and 3D modeling?

As for your other points, they are fair in a lot of ways. I won't address them all, but I will make one point. I know EVERY sandbox says this, but this is more true for Xsyon than any other recent MMOs: the content is player created, not developer made. This is not a game for those who seek to consume content, this is a game for those looking to create it, ESPECIALLY during the Prelude.

PS: The world is empty as it was recently wiped. Your 1 day experience did not come at a very good time. I encourage you to give the game a chance after the 18th. Also note you do not need a tribe to build, not sure where you came up with that. Single players can place homesteads. Furthermore you can build what you want without one (provided it isn't in someone elses homestead or tribal area), it just won't be protected in any way. As for terraforming I can't really say as this isn't a feature I've spent any time with.

If that's your mentality of the game, then you'll never find it fun no matter how many bells or whistles they add, the game isn't about seeing who has a bigger tent or a longer weapon, it's about building a good community.

People nowadays are so spoiled by the current mmorpgs holding your hands and guiding you a long rails the entire experience, in Xsyon you actually have to work as a community to accomplish something worth noting and mentioning!