Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homesteads

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    They simply need to make a tribes allotment the size of the tribe, rather than the maximum size of the tribe, which it is now. As tribes expand, they should need to negotiate or war to expand further, if tribes are blocking them, or move.
    now this is more like it! simple and can only add to the social/war aspect of the game.

I agree with most people, 10 members (mind you, online at the same time) to found a tribe is too many. Should be reduced to 4 or 5.

5 is a good number.

Regardless I doubt they all have to be online. You will more than likely just need 5-10 members on current roster. Then online or offline it will not matter - the code will just check for a Boolean from the roster number.

Coding to check for 5-10 members online at once is overkill, I really doubt it's like that. But I could be wrong, heck you never know with these guys. hehe

Just trying to understand this as it will effect me come Prelude launch on the 18th. RIght now I'm solo because friends have other commitments. As this is stated, because I am solo, I should not even bother to log in to play until at least the 20th? If I log in prior to that date I am pretty much just a gank target since I can't do anything but run around. I can go along with that for the good of the game, not entirely happy a select group of players are being selectively left out of the game for 2 days, but if it makes it better in the long run ok.

Second thing is the reduced land on homesteads, well how much reduced is it? Is it going to be the 'unused' portion of the land removed or is it going to be a smaller usable area? I dont mind having the unused removed since I'll never see it anyway solo or with myself and 3 friends later on, but if the current footprint is significantly reduced I might have an issue there. I mean currently I can build 4-5 buildings a week solo on my plot, if my footprint is too small, I'll be fully built up in 3 weeks and left with nothing to do.

Lastly, how will the conversion from Homestead to Tribal take place if you reduce the footprint on them? If I start solo now, and in a month my 3 friends join me, and in the next month they make and invite 12 other friends to join us, what happens to my homestead? Does my then 20 man tribe live on my tiny homestead plot because I was forced to start in a small spot? Seems counterproductive for building a tribe later if you are going to have to abandon all your work just so you can get a bigger plot once you grow.

Oh and my thoughts on the griefing reason behind this, its an exploit and should be handled as exactly that. If someone is abusing a game mechanic in a manner it wasn't intended to give themself an unfair advantage over others (the definition of an exploit), then they should be tracked down and banned from the game, period. Changing game mechanics, and forcing undue restrictions on the entire populace in order to stop a select few from cheating is good and fine if you have no other choice. But ultimately, a cheater is a cheater and should be shown the door at the first occurance in my honest opinion.

how much smaller a homestead will be is unknown (atleast to me) but you as a solo player do not need 5 buildings or egual size land as a starting tribe.
    you can build and destroy to grind architect if thats your goal, but nobody needs a real lot of buildings.

how homestead to tribe is going to be handled im not sure about, but it could be that you need to claim a new area whit your friends as a tribe and not as a homestead. a homestead is a home.. not a piece of land were suppose to start tribes on. cant realy wait for a group of players to join the game at some later point and say to the current player base ..well sorry but they want that spot in a month or two.

I will build a homestead fully realizing that if i want join a tribe or create a tribe at some point I probably will have to move and leave my old home behind. thats the choice we make by choosing to be solo players.

Now see, your assuming because I am solo all I want in life is a house and a fire to cook my fish on. I want to build a trading post and trading posts take buildings and land. I dont need 30 people to run my trading post, just me and a couple of helpers to make it work. Under these new homestead/tribal rules that means my trading post is automatically reduced to be the same as someone who wants a single small cabin with his old tick hound out front. Then you talk about farming, how many 30 man farms you know of from the pioneer days? They plan on implimenting farming function, growing crops, raising livestock. What, am I supposed to raise my 20 chickens in my kitchen? My 5 cows on my front porch? And how much land can I farm if I only have enough to build 3 buildings on fromt he start? Now I'm realistic though, I know I can't do what I want down on the coast where all the big tribes want to be at, but if I'm 2 miles out in the woods with no neighbor for half a mile, why again am I going to be forced into a 0.5 acre plot?

I can go with the idea of homesteads, if you actually want a homestead, but just because I dont have 10 people with me doesn't me I'm a homestead. Personally I have no issue with reucing the outside, unused footprint that was reserved for later growth. Thats fine with me, if I outgrow my loand available I can move. But thats if I outgrow it. Make my initial footprint small yes, and allow it to grow IF the new size doesn't impact another tribe closeby. But if I'm in need of growth, and still dont have a neighbor in a half a mile, let my footprint grow. Not seeing why that concpet is such a bugger to understand.

Oh and the comment there about just claim a new area with your friends as a tribe, well thats my issue on top. I have 3 real life friends plannign on coming over in a month to play. 3 + 1 doesn't meet the requirements for a tribal totem. 3 + 1 meets ONLY the requirements for a homestead. We will still be FORCED onto a smaller homestead plot intented for a single player.

You'd be a gank target if people actually wanted to gank.

They really don't. I know my tribe won't be looking for a fight until we're nice and geared up in scary armor XD That's going to be about 5-7 days in.

Quote Originally Posted by river111 View Post
    Now see, your assuming because I am solo all I want in life is a house and a fire to cook my fish on. I want to build a trading post and trading posts take buildings and land. I dont need 30 people to run my trading post, just me and a couple of helpers to make it work. Under these new homestead/tribal rules that means my trading post is automatically reduced to be the same as someone who wants a single small cabin with his old tick hound out front. Then you talk about farming, how many 30 man farms you know of from the pioneer days? They plan on implimenting farming function, growing crops, raising livestock. What, am I supposed to raise my 20 chickens in my kitchen? My 5 cows on my front porch? And how much land can I farm if I only have enough to build 3 buildings on fromt he start? Now I'm realistic though, I know I can't do what I want down on the coast where all the big tribes want to be at, but if I'm 2 miles out in the woods with no neighbor for half a mile, why again am I going to be forced into a 0.5 acre plot?

I can go with the idea of homesteads, if you actually want a homestead, but just because I dont have 10 people with me doesn't me I'm a homestead. Personally I have no issue with reucing the outside, unused footprint that was reserved for later growth. Thats fine with me, if I outgrow my loand available I can move. But thats if I outgrow it. Make my initial footprint small yes, and allow it to grow IF the new size doesn't impact another tribe closeby. But if I'm in need of growth, and still dont have a neighbor in a half a mile, let my footprint grow. Not seeing why that concpet is such a bugger to understand.

Oh and the comment there about just claim a new area with your friends as a tribe, well thats my issue on top. I have 3 real life friends plannign on coming over in a month to play. 3 + 1 doesn't meet the requirements for a tribal totem. 3 + 1 meets ONLY the requirements for a homestead. We will still be FORCED onto a smaller homestead plot intented for a single player.
    Nope , you read that wrong, only at start of the game you be forced to have x amoud of members to start a tribe. alter on this will be lower or automatic depending on how they gona do stuff. basicly anyone whit a friend can claim a tribe in a few days -afther- the main big boy tribes have claimed thier spots. ( someting a lot of ppl find unfair..but not the point here)

So lets let the mind run..
    In a month your friends come in the game, look at your cute little homestead and say yea! we wana join lets become Tradeoutpost 101 west hills tribe!!
    when they try to join and bah!! they cant , shitty homestead.. you needs a tribe , ok so you disband your totem, and try to place a tribe totem instead..shit..a other tribe is to close message.. , means you gota move to a unclaimed area , plant a tribe totem and make your two friends join, tadaaa Tradeoutpost 101 east hills tribe is born!

it could be that homesteads can be upgraded..we dont know, but I would advice everyoen to asume the worst possible senario so you know what you get into and wont be mad after a few weeks when you ( who ever you is ) desite to start a tribe.

the whole , small,big,solo claim land messup is just for launchday(s) at the 18th, beyond that small groups have no problem creatign a tribe other then finding a piece of land to claim.

Ahh ok cool then, not much to worry about in the long run I hope. Just concerned because of the little information leaves much on the assumption. Not knowning I think is the big issue. Hopefully they read these threads and take note of our concerns when coming up with how they are doing it.

It doesn't matter what size the tribe is when it starts. Enough area needs to be reserved so that it can grow if more people join. If another tribe is placed to close and one grows, you will have problems.