Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I would eventually like the ability to craft wheelbarrows, carts, sleds, barrels, etc. Give people ways to move more larger quantities of goods. At the same time it would make them a prime target to be killed and stolen from, so risk and reward would come into play.

It's Sandbox. If you think it is boring ask someone to carry it for you and reward him with armor/weapons whatever he needs ( good job for the many solo players i guess)

Quote Originally Posted by TheVampireSlayer View Post
    So I got the game last Friday and it seemed to ooze potential. However, I am not a huge fan of the crafting system. To me it seems more like a job than anything. What do you guys think? The major problem is that we can barely carry anything which makes carrying back one log at a time essential but also extremely tedious. I understand you are supposed to work with your tribe but it just seems to be more job-like than fun. I wouldn't mind saying that the Apocalypse granted every human with a small degree of supernatural strength and endurance. That would be much more fun, but thus far the game is far too realistic with regard to the tedium to build anything. Idk. What are your thoughts? I'm not flaming the game btw.
    When devs start to listen to posts like this, the game is in peril, happened to countless games...

You mean it happened in UO and then again in SWG. Where people complained the devs respond and the game gets far too easy, and people bail. Which seems counterintuitive. But...

People like it hard. The like to complain about how hard it is. THEY LIKE IT to be able to say I made this grass hat and it took like 10 minutes - it means something to the giver and the receiver. Meaning is hard to find in games. You find a game with meaning and you found something.

So some games will play to this crowd and we come for that reason. You change the tune and you will have a bunch of angry people. Figure you buy tickets to a Metallica concert, but guess who comes out to play -- Yes.

I guarantee that place will be thrashed, they will be mopping up band parts for weeks. So if you want easy -there is a lot of easy out there - whole genre of easy MMOs. If you want hard play this or Xyson or Wurm or ATITD. IN them lies depth and meaning as best as you can find in MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by tedrick View Post
    You mean it happened in UO and then again in SWG. Where people complained the devs respond and the game gets far too easy, and people bail. Which seems counterintuitive. But...

People like it hard. The like to complain about how hard it is. THEY LIKE IT to be able to say I made this grass hat and it took like 10 minutes - it means something to the giver and the receiver. Meaning is hard to find in games. You find a game with meaning and you found something.

So some games will play to this crowd and we come for that reason. You change the tune and you will have a bunch of angry people. Figure you buy tickets to a Metallica concert, but guess who comes out to play -- Yes.

I guarantee that place will be thrashed, they will be mopping up band parts for weeks. So if you want easy -there is a lot of easy out there - whole genre of easy MMOs. If you want hard play this or Xyson or Wurm or ATITD. IN them lies depth and meaning as best as you can find in MMOs.
    That grass hat needs to make some sort of difference. At the moment, nothing does. The novelty of "Mmm hmmm... It took me some hard ol' work to make that grass hat, son" will wear thin very, very soon.

I was sure I was getting some armor or some warmth for grass hat wearing. Or maybe I just look like the VC now.

Sorry to derail... but i though SWG was Lucas Art's fault and telling SOE people to do something or another?

ANYWAY...
    Vamp it seems like you are thinking in the "solo" box. How about crafting when you're in a 20 man or more guild and such? I find significant ease between 1 extra person... reducing the "tedium" will make 20 men building things so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by tedrick View Post

So some games will play to this crowd and we come for that reason. You change the tune and you will have a bunch of angry people.
    This. Keep it hard, keep it rewarding.

And ya, Orious I belive that's teh understood legend about the demise of SWG; some higher-ups that don't know shit about anything said, "we want this to be iconic and WoW, not the great game you've already built that is nothing like either of those." And it was forced to change, and there hasn't been a good game since :/

Quote Originally Posted by TheVampireSlayer View Post
    So I got the game last Friday and it seemed to ooze potential. However, I am not a huge fan of the crafting system. To me it seems more like a job than anything. What do you guys think? The major problem is that we can barely carry anything which makes carrying back one log at a time essential but also extremely tedious. I understand you are supposed to work with your tribe but it just seems to be more job-like than fun. I wouldn't mind saying that the Apocalypse granted every human with a small degree of supernatural strength and endurance. That would be much more fun, but thus far the game is far too realistic with regard to the tedium to build anything. Idk. What are your thoughts? I'm not flaming the game btw.
    The way I see it, if they make it to easy to build up our cities, then everyone will be doing it. The point I think is to have cities that are worth a damn, and only the most dedicated tribes will succeed and maintaining their cities.

During beta our tribe made 15k-20k bricks all 1 at a time plus the mortar, and I know there's one tribe that made more than that.

Alot of MMo's are very easy, without challenge, this has been bred into the playerbase, if anything humans are lazy by flaw, i.e. if theres an easier to do something, we'll do it that way (hence remotes for tvs etc).
    All MMo's are time consuming, this one its in the gathering, because there arent going to be dungeons and raids to take up your time.
    If your not enjoying the experience, then perhaps sandbox mmo's arent really your thing.