Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Breeding?

Re:Breeding?

Zarma wrote:
    Wurm has it, we've even got human breeding... Well, half human breeding, we've got to improvise a little, the guy has to be a zombie. But disregard that, it works out quite nicely (the animal breeding more then human breeding... Consequence to breeding with zombies is that your baby comes out with eight legs and looks a lot like a spider. It's normally killed by some one.)
    Next time you kill something, remember it was once some mother's baby...

Kitsume wrote:
    Zarma wrote:
    Wurm has it, we've even got human breeding... Well, half human breeding, we've got to improvise a little, the guy has to be a zombie. But disregard that, it works out quite nicely (the animal breeding more then human breeding... Consequence to breeding with zombies is that your baby comes out with eight legs and looks a lot like a spider. It's normally killed by some one.)
    Next time you kill something, remember it was once some mother's baby...
    I saw a dead fetus today at work. Was neat.

Animal breeding and pets.

It's on the features page under Evolution.

KamenMoore wrote:
    Animal breeding and pets.

It's on the features page under Evolution.
    I don't think it's going to be in until after prelude. Not sure though.

Yep.Evolution is evolution, probably means either later in prelude, or after prelude. Don't worry though, there will be plenty of other things you can do.

Hi,

Im fairly new to the forum (and game). Ive been lurking around, and just reading up.

The topic of breeding caught my attention, as I devved an Ultima Online emulated server back in the day, and made a breeding system that I think would work very well with Xsyon as well, and thought Id drop it here as well.

Im pasting a rough edited version of the system :

How the breeding system works.

The player needs to have the two tamed creatures (critA, and critB) under his control, ie, tamed. An action or item starts the breeding process. The system then does the following checks :

Are both creatures under the player's control?
    Are the creatures of the same type, or, is the critB in critA's
    Are the creatures of different sexes?
    Are both creatures Fertile?
    Has the female's LastMatingAttemptTimer expired?
    Has the female's LastBreedingTimer expired?
    Does the creatures meet the BreedingRequirements?

The two creatures then attempt to mate. A skillcheck is done here on the player on X skills.
    The LastMatingAttempt property gets set to the current timestamp.

The two creatures then mate.
    The LastMatingTime gets set to the current timestamp

A new egg is created. For every property on a creature, the procedure occurs :

Each creature has a MutationChance property. A random number is rolled. If the number is smaller than the creature's MutationChance property, it mutates. It then takes another random property of the creature (health, armor, etc). It then randomly decreases, or increases this property.

The propeties gets added to the egg, and the eggs Generation is set to 1 more than the highest of either critA or critB's generation.

The egg than randomly chooses either critA or critB's type. This comes into play if the creatures are not of the same breed. For instance, a cow and a bull mates, then the child will be randomly chosen. Or, if we decide to implement crossbreeding, a bear and a frog's child will be chosen randomly. (Imho, the crossbeeding thing just over complicates things)

If the creature's LaysEggs property is true, it sets the eggsize according to the following tier :

if (str < 15) : small
    if (str < 50) :Average
    if (str < 150) : Large
    Else : Giant;
    }
    the egg-item then gets named to "<creature name> egg".
    The egg is moved to the player's backpack.

However, if the LaysEgg property is not true, the egg's Phoetus property gets set to true, and is added to the mother's backpack. Some crits, like a cow, are not spawned with a backpack. If this happens, the system creates a backpack to the crit, and moves the phoetus there.

Upon egg creation, a timer starts for the egg to hatch, the time depending on the eggs HatchingTime property, inherited from the parents.

When the timer expires, a creature is spawned, and the phoetus/egg is destroyed. The creature is then set to an infant state, with decreased stats. For instance, if a creature is in his Youth, his properties will change to a random (higher than or equal to 2, but lower than 5)'th of his adult properties.

Once spawned, the creatures aging process will be started.
    The lifestage-lengths are as follows
    Infant-> Child : 10th of LifeLength property
    Child-> Youth : 5th of LifeLength property
    Youth-> Adult : half of LifeLength property
    Adult : LifeLength property

Im certain that Ive omitted some details to this, but, you should get the general idea of how its works.

How about breeding as part of crafting? Such as breeding for better leather from animal type. More food from plant type. Tougher pet type. And so on. I'm not sure of the programming complexity, but it could make the game much deeper.

I like the breeding as part of crating idea, myself. Perhaps I'll have a farm

How about breeding for better colors of dyes? Stronger drugs? More potent herbs for healing? Tougher sharper spines on a hedge for defense. Lots of possibilities here.

I think animal breeding would be a great type of profession, it would just need to take a long amount of time but have a high yield reward if you do it properly.