Tooltip Feedback

With the new tooltip, it's extremely buggy and looks horrible. Sometimes it doesn't show up and other times it pops out at a random area on my screen. Guess that's obvious since it's in its beta stage. Take this by example as it improves...

Like it or not, World of Warcraft probably has the best tooltips out there. They are very clear even though they contain tons of information. While ignoring the "binds when picked up" feature, this tooltip gives you the damage that a weapon outputs, the type of weapon it is, how it's used, and it even gives the attack speed. What some games don't even do, is give the damage per second calculation which is a requirement in my opinion.

In addition, you notice that the text have different colors and there is even a background. You need a background. The colored text gives information beyond regular stats, usually give to weapons that are difficult to obtain and find. The durability feature gives a better estimation on damaged items rather than having text explain it for you. This is a better feature than what we currently have. Obviously numbers are more accurate than words.

Armors have very similar tooltips as weapons. Instead of giving you damage statistics, they show you how much armor it gives you. Rather than showing you the weapon type, they show you the armor type. They even tell you where the item should be placed on your body. For example, legs, back, chest, ect. Notice, the color of the items name is white, which means it is common, therefore it receives no stats or other benefits. Weight could be an addition stat to this tooltip system. Hate World of Warcraft all you want, as I do. However, I've been waiting for a sandbox MMO to have some of the most successful features found in MMORPGs. Tooltips being one of them...

after spending a lot of time playing wow and as much as i hate it i have to agree with you on this one i would like to see this sort of tooltip in xsyon or at least add the weapon type and damage.

While the current tooltips need some work, they don't need to be as chocked full as WoW's tooltips. I think the KISS principle should be in place for this game. No need to know that a knife does this much damage with an X speed and carries these other related stats. I don't remember my pocketknife increasing my stamina in RL. Leave the WoW stats and tooltips to the themeparks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooflung View Post
    While the current tooltips need some work, they don't need to be as chocked full as WoW's tooltips. I think the KISS principle should be in place for this game. No need to know that a knife does this much damage with an X speed and carries these other related stats. I don't remember my pocketknife increasing my stamina in RL. Leave the WoW stats and tooltips to the themeparks.
    This wouldn't be anything new. We already have stats in the game such as fortitude, strength, and even agility. If items increase these stats, why make us go through the trouble to determine what items give what? That's like removing the ability to see our skill levels. I don't remember knowing my exact level in experience of doing certain tasks in real life. Also, how we will be able to figure out the item's worth? How would I know if what I'm trading for is better than what I already have? There are just various of issues that are waiting to happen. I'm just saying, the community should spend less time figuring out what something does and more time finding something new. The game is about discovering the unknown not identifying the unknown. To each his own I guess...

Hehe, I'm playing since a few days and, basically, I have no idea what any item does and I just select it for the looks anyway.

When I read about introducing tooltips I thought that the tooltips would give me some information about the item, well, it looks like they don't.

Also, they don't seem to work very well for me. When I close the window (for example the backpack) the tooltip text stays on my screen although the window with the item is long closed. Also, for me, the tooltip text overlays the "Eat" button when it's an item I can consume. Instead the "Eat" button is drawn under the inventory window and thus cannot be clicked.

The tool tip does need an overhaul, but really all thats required is

Quality
    Durability as in xx/xx

Dont need min or max damage, or dps because its more twitch based than damage based, as in people who are better at dodging and hitting are going to do more damage that people who arent, it wont matter what the stats are on the weapons, its more your skills of movement.

People might disagree, but this game already has so many things to be added and tweaked, have to be realistic about changes, especially when this game has a small group of devs, maybe less than a handful, Whereas Blizzard has has alot more devs.

PS: The current bug with tooltips is that when you put the cursor over an object and you close the window, the tooltip of the item is still where it was even though the item isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by pluzoid View Post
    Dont need min or max damage, or dps because its more twitch based than damage based, as in people who are better at dodging and hitting are going to do more damage that people who arent, it wont matter what the stats are on the weapons, its more your skills of movement.
    I definitely disagree, I'm almost positive that each weapon will have a different damage base. If it wouldn't, then there would be no real progression in combat and weaponcrafters would be rather pointless. Like Larsa mentioned, it would be more about the looks rather than what the weapon is good for. Why waste time building a higher tier weapon when you can just use a basic one? I don't see why a hatchet should do the same amount of damage as a two handed battle axe. I mean, dodging and parrying should still remain, but weapons should matter too. I'm just saying, I've seen the new tooltips and text for durability wasn't the best way to go. Just trying to make everyone take note of highly successful game that has amazing tooltips. The devs shouldn't copy it, but take it by example.

I fully agree that tool tips need to be overhauled. What I would like to see:

- The actual tip further way from the cursor. To me it looks cluttered and sometimes the cursor is on top of the actual tip.

- I would like the tool tip to give a bit more information. I think that damage would be a good thing. Right now I have no idea what is a good weapon or bad weapon. Does weapon quality affect damage or just durability?

- Obviously I want the tool tip to close once I close the window

Having said this, IMHO its a rather minor issue at the start of the game. Focus on the bigger issues and once those are resolved, correct this.