Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World Economy: Ideas

I'm trying to see what everyone thinks about the world economy. Currently I believe the following:

Most tribes will be able to be self sufficient since all skills are available to each member. This will really discourage a world economy in my opinion. I think this could be solved in a couple of ways that I can think of:

- With a barter system, there really won't be much of an economy (IMO)

- Make some resources regional. This way it will encourage travelling to various parts of the world and having to actually trade with others. This will allow for trade routes, exploration, an element of danger, etc.

- I think there should be a money system. This will allow with for store fronts, easy trade, regional or local auction houses (If we want these), and opens up a whole new level of commerce.

With these two suggestions, I think there will be a thriving economy. Also, I think it will encourage alliances for resources. Like I said, this thread is just my ideas, all others will be very good to hear. I think if we can get a consensus, the devs will probably consider it, since they seem to be fairly responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbrtsn View Post

- Make some resources regional. This way it will encourage travelling to various parts of the world and having to actually trade with others. This will allow for trade routes, exploration, an element of danger, etc.

- I think there should be a money system. This will allow with for store fronts, easy trade, regional or local auction houses (If we want these), and opens up a whole new level of commerce.

Done and Done

I'm trying to see what everyone thinks about the world economy. Currently I believe the following:

Most tribes will be able to be self sufficient since all skills are available to each member. This will really discourage a world economy in my opinion. I think this could be solved in a couple of ways that I can think of:

- With a barter system, there really won't be much of an economy (IMO)

With these two suggestions, I think there will be a thriving economy. Also, I think it will encourage alliances for resources. Like I said, this thread is just my ideas, all others will be very good to hear. I think if we can get a consensus, the devs will probably consider it, since they seem to be fairly responsive.
    bar·ter (bärtr)
    v. bar·tered, bar·ter·ing, bar·ters
    v.intr.
    To trade goods or services without the exchange of money

Oh god! Please put this in! We definitely need SOME a way to converse with people and trade goods! -.-

Really only resources we have are trees, sand, rocks, and scrap yards. Kinda hard to make those regional as they should be quite abundant.

Money? For real? You mean like nickels, quarters, and dollar bills? Already in game, try using the scavenging skill on a scrap pile.

Something has to be done to encourage travel to other regions. Since tribes will be 100% self sufficient the only reason for them to travel is pvp raids really. Homesteaders will travel because they must trade with each other in order to survive but only in a small area around them I would assume. There is absolutely no reason I would ever need to travel from my home in the south the hills in the north, unless they had some resource or technology I can not obtain where I come from. Hence I would make a journey through perilous territories in the hopes to forge a new weapon or obtain a new item like a torch to light my camp area. This game is going to become boring really quickly if they don't keep making us want to explore. Trade in the short run is all wonderful and everything but what if JoeBlow in the North DOES have a new technology that allows him to make torches that only the North people can make , well what would I trade to them that they can't already get in their own area?

5. 02-15-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Tehralph View Post
    bar·ter (bärtr)
    v. bar·tered, bar·ter·ing, bar·ters
    v.intr.
    To trade goods or services without the exchange of money

Oh god! Please put this in! We definitely need SOME a way to converse with people and trade goods! -.-

Really only resources we have are trees, sand, rocks, and scrap yards. Kinda hard to make those regional as they should be quite abundant.

Money? For real? You mean like nickels, quarters, and dollar bills? Already in game, try using the scavenging skill on a scrap pile.
    I understand what bartering is, but currently there is no real need for it, since most tribes will be able to produce everything they need. It will be useful for players who are solo or part of 2 or 3 man tribes. But then again, large tribes won't need anything they have so they are still out of luck.

Money, just dollars, or Euros would be fine, no need to get sarcastic with talking about nickels, and quarters and such.

You do have a good point with the current resources being very basic and regionalization wouldn't work, but when they eventually introduce mining, this may change.

Also you would need to make money useful somehow. I.E. something you could only get with money. No idea what, but thats why the discussion.

Money, just dollars, or Euros would be fine, no need to get sarcastic with talking about nickels, and quarters and such.
    Euros on American soil?

Quote Originally Posted by fishFUNK View Post
    Euros on American soil?
    lol, who's to say what currency will be valued the most. If current world trends continue, we'll all be using chinese currency and speaking mandarin.

Also you would need to make money useful somehow. I.E. something you could only get with money. No idea what, but thats why the discussion.
    I WASNT BEING SARCASTIC THERE ARE ACTUALLY NICKELS AND PENNIES AND DOLLAR BILLS IN GAME OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!@!@!#!$

And the "preference" for money will come in at a later date, when mass trading is to be done, because the money doesnt have a weight, and will eventually (long time from now) just become a representative for material items.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehralph View Post
    I WASNT BEING SARCASTIC THERE ARE ACTUALLY NICKELS AND PENNIES AND DOLLAR BILLS IN GAME OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!@!@!#!$

And the "preference" for money will come in at a later date, when mass trading is to be done, because the money doesnt have a weight, and will eventually (long time from now) just become a representative for material items.
    ok, my apologies

There was actually a nice little (read: long) thread on economics issues. Money is nice, but if it doesn't do anything, and isn't programmed as a hard currency, then few would bother to use it. There's also problems with inflation and deflation. I think regional resources and high rates of item decay (like when stuff goes boom in Eve) would do wonders to help develop a real economy where people and certain, small groups couldn't be self-sufficient.