View Poll Results: How many friends will you be playing with?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just myself

21 32.31%
  • Me and 2 or 3 others

7 10.77%
  • Me and 4 others, enough to start a tribe

11 16.92%
  • More than 10 of us.

26 40.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How many people will you be playing with?

There has been alot of talk about homesteads and tribes (large and small) etc... With a tribe being limited to more than 4 people, I was wondering how many players will be homesteaders and how many will have enough friends ingame to start a tribe.

this is a good poll idea.

Thank you. I noticed the other polls set the parameters between 1 player, then 2-9, then 9+. With the tribe minimum set to 5 it seemed like it would be a better way to analyze the player base.

umm... lol. It's only been 20 minutes. I set this poll to run for 10 days.

You are right about this poll being unweighted. It will actually not reflect the playerbase data, but only the data of the players that browse the forum and vote in this particular poll. Also, people in tribes that may tend to look at the forum more than casual single players (who may not necessarily check the forum evryday or at all) may tilt the data in that direction. Fortunately however, there are ways to analyze the data and get a good general idea what the population in game will look like re. homesteads, tribal areas and towns. IRL I work as an analyst at Cisco Systems and I find this type of stuff fascinating. And before you say it, yes, I am an ubernerd

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisermn View Post
    You are right about this poll being unweighted. It will actually not reflect the playerbase data, but only the data of the players that browse the forum and vote in this particular poll. Also, people in tribes that may tend to look at the forum more than casual single players (who may not necessarily check the forum evryday or at all) may tilt the data in that direction. Fortunately however, there are ways to analyze the data and get a good general idea what the population in game will look like re. homesteads, tribal areas and towns. IRL I work as an analyst at Cisco Systems and I find this type of stuff fascinating. And before you say it, yes, I am an ubernerd
    actually I think forums give a good sample of the population (given your stats background you clearly know I am explicting using those terms for a reason), granted the sample doesnt provide enough of the overall population to get a comfortable 90% but overtime I think it could get in tha 70%ish range.

many game features are decided by unique posts on forums pages!

Quote Originally Posted by FabricSoftener View Post
    actually I think forums give a good sample of the population (given your stats background you clearly know I am explicting using those terms for a reason), granted the sample doesnt provide enough of the overall population to get a comfortable 90% but overtime I think it could get in tha 70%ish range.

many game features are decided by unique posts on forums pages!
    Oh I absolutely agree with you on that the game definitely benefits from players' posts and that the posts are a great way for the developpers to guage what they are doing right or wrong to keep the player base happy. I'm only hoping to simplify the question of "What will the player base look like? will they live mostly in towns and villages? or mostly in homesteads?"

As far as % of the entire game population represented by the poll, I don't know that yet. But in 10 days when the poll closes, I will see how many people voted and try to find out what the number of people playing the game is.

90% of the player base in-game does not come on the forum and are mis-informed. a simple look in global chat shows that
    the only true poll a dev could do is a in-game one running for a week then you reach everyone (99%)

Polls on forums are silly snapshots of the current tough of the current forum visitors, not the game player base. only thing a forum is good for is for the collection of information and creating awareness of game-play issue's what then would require a in-game-poll to see if its really a issue or a vocal group not being happy.

Quote Originally Posted by tommybomb View Post
    Kaisermn...what metrics are you using to classify the solo players as casual? According to them, they are the real hardcore players!

You could just as easily say that the members of large tribes come to the forum less because the information here is disseminated via their own forums and voice chat by a few members who lurk here. Hopi has over 40 members, but I can only recall seeing posts from a handful of their members.
    To your first question: I am only basing this on my own opinion of what a casual player might be like in re. to forum participation. I am a casual player, I have a busy schedule and a kid that I am raising on my own. I will probably be in game less that 10 hours a week. But I browse the forum often from work. But is this the way it is with all casual players? I don't know.

Also, you make a good point re. large tribes where only one or two may browse the forum and deciminate the information via chat to the rest of the tribe members. Again, will this mean that they will be under represented? again, I don't know.

What I do know, is that I am sitting in my office at work and I am between projects atm, I will over the next few days think about a good way to figure out participation in the forums. How? maybe by looking at previous polls that deal with this subject.

If you have any ideas on how to figure out what the player base looks like, or if you know already, please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Chavoda View Post
    90% of the player base in-game does not come on the forum and are mis-informed. a simple look in global chat shows that
    the only true poll a dev could do is a in-game one running for a week then you reach everyone (99%)
    what I was refering to was the number of people in a sample based on overall population that can give you 90% accuracy of what the population is using a fairly common stastical forumla.
    That said, without knowing what the population actually is , getting the sample is guess work.