Keys to surving solo?

Just curious now that homesteads have been implemented, as to how one would survive on their own. I think a solo population adds to the life of the world, what would it be like if we just had tribal "cities" with everyone living in the suburbs. I like the idea of coming across a humble farmer in the hills living off the land. But how is this going to be possible? The Rambo factor? I'm sure they will be easy prey to the evil of the world. More so seeing ass digital morals don't exist when some one gets in the mood to grief.
    Just a curiosity. What do you think?

Trying to solo a world like this in RL would be very tough.

Not saying its not possible, but it will not be forgiving and will be very challenging.

You will sorta have to be the jack of all trades, master of none.

Two words " Travel light and don't be too proud to run away"... Ok 10 words.

I think you could do it quite easily, if you pick your surroundings well, and build defensively.

Id also make good relations with your neighbours. Theres going to be a lot of times in a solo career that a few good contacts could be a lifesaver.

Get a rare ressource ( Basalt). You need def. fishing high for food. Some baskets and high toolcraft i guess for the basic tools. Tbh i have no clue how to do alone since i don't know how the character system works and how much you can skill

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiddy View Post
    Just curious now that homesteads have been implemented, as to how one would survive on their own. I think a solo population adds to the life of the world, what would it be like if we just had tribal "cities" with everyone living in the suburbs. I like the idea of coming across a humble farmer in the hills living off the land. But how is this going to be possible? The Rambo factor? I'm sure they will be easy prey to the evil of the world. More so seeing ass digital morals don't exist when some one gets in the mood to grief.
    Just a curiosity. What do you think?
    Good question, I want to try something comparable, not necessarily solo though. I would prefer a small tribe (just a few people) with a lore/RP vibe.

I currently have a 1-man tribe tucked away in the mountains and had fun setting up my little camp. Well, it only consists of a bunch of grass, a number of storage bins and a fireplace anyway. Plenty of resources and very few people out there, I have three scrapheaps for my personal entertainment and everything else I need is in short walking distance.

With this solo/small tribe setup I see mainly two problems:

1. Tools
    You will not have all the tools that you need for your buildings. Of course you can trade tools, but practically you have nothing that you can offer in exchange for a tool, the bigger tribes are all selfsufficient and don't need anything of the scraps you can offer in exchange.

2. Neighbours and strangers
    Your homestead/tribeland will never be big enough to cover all the resources you need. That means that you are very frequently outside of your safe zone. Everyone who likes to whack people can do so and there's little you can do to avoid that. Staying in your safe area is no option.

Even worse when an evil tribe decides to open shop close to your location. There's nothing you can do to avoid that and, practically, in that case you have lost. Time to pack your bags and try again somewhere else.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisermn View Post
    Two words " Travel light and don't be too proud to run away"... Ok 10 words.
    This man speaks many truths.