89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Global Standard Currency?

30 33.71%
  • Item for Item Barter System?

46 51.69%
  • Don't care either way?

13 14.61%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Question Global Currency or Item for Item Barter?

This discussion has gone on long enough. Time to put it to a vote.

Please View the Discussion Before you Vote. Make well informed decisions each of these options have pros and cons.

I voted for Global, but not as an 'active' currency so much as a 'passive' one. As a passive currency, it would be based on perceived item value (which is just as exploitable in real life as it would be in-game).

Even though I would prefer this, I do not see it as needed for release. I'm looking at the long-term, here.

My decision is based on my view of tribes as potential nations.

imo without a global currency long distance trading will be pointless- trade routes will not work as well as they do in EVE and eventually the trading will become stale and boring.

I like the barter system myself...

"Hey, I have X of item Y, what will you give me for it?" Could get some good stuff, as long as what you're being offered in return has value to you, it doesn't matter if it's an item(s) or currency really. I haven't played Eve (other than barely tried it when it released) so I can't really comment on how well it'll work or not. But I do like not having a "gold counter" on the bottom of my inventory window.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkan View Post
    I haven't played Eve (other than barely tried it when it released) so I can't really comment on how well it'll work or not. But I do like not having a "gold counter" on the bottom of my inventory window.
    In EVE it works like this:

There are many solar systems and in each solar system there are multiple stations, anywhere from 1-10+ stations in each solar system. Each station has a local trade hub where you can list items for sale and or you can list buy orders. You can purchase from any of the stations within the solar system from 1 station, however you have to travel to the actual station you purchased it from. If your trade skill is higher then you can purchase from stations further out, and you can place your sell or buy orders as well, but you still have to travel to the station that you bought it from to pick it up.

All stations charge a tax, however player (corporation aka guild) run stations are able to set the tax rate and the corp gets the tax. All the market hubs are local and independent of each other- this creates some very unique trade routes where corporations are forced to either higher mercenaries or use their own corp members to help protect very large shipments of goods being taken to market. These markets are not done as an auction, meaning you don't bid on items for sell- you just have to look for the best price.

In EVE players are also able to list transport quests, where you put up the items you want transported and where you want them taken and then you pay a fee that is refunded after you ship the items to the correct place successfully- if you are killed and lose the shipment then you don't get the fee back. The fee you pay to do the quest is always worth at least the amount of the items you are being asked to ship or more, so it's not beneficial to keep the items after paying the fee- the reward for successfully shiping the items is why you do it. (the fee you paid to do the quest is refunded as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkan View Post
    I like the barter system myself...

"Hey, I have X of item Y, what will you give me for it?" Could get some good stuff, as long as what you're being offered in return has value to you, it doesn't matter if it's an item(s) or currency really. I haven't played Eve (other than barely tried it when it released) so I can't really comment on how well it'll work or not. But I do like not having a "gold counter" on the bottom of my inventory window.
    As far as I know Eve do have a currency.

I played a game with barter system, and its nothing but a headache. If you need something rare, its almost impossible to set up a correct price for it. And since its rare, not many player will have it...and its very likely that you won't have the stuff that he wants in return.

For example you want to buy a metal decoration...someone has it, you offer 100 logs for it. He is like "no no I bought if for 1000 nails ! I want 20 purple feathers for it!" Now you can go out to try to find someone with 20 purple feathers and hope he will ask for something you do have....

I was in this situation before, was trying to buy a rare stuffs, the owner asked another rare stuff in return, and so on. Since there are no set prices, its very hard to make a deal. I gave up on it.

I'd have to say that I personally like the barter system.

With the Barter system, most people have been assuming they would be working a one on one deal. "I have this, what will you give me for it."
    That is for sure the hardest way to maintain an economy.
    The system I suggested in the "You can BANK on it" thread was this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybalt View Post
    I like where this thread was going...

Set up Tribal Markets instead of banks.
    The Leader of that tribe or someone he appoints then goes through a list of items or resources and assigns point values to them.

Long Log: 5.00 vp
    Short Log: 2.50 vp
    Mountain Whitefish: 3.75 vp
    Leather: 2.50 vp
    Leather scrap: 1.00 vp
    Screw: 0.25 vp

and so on.
    When a player comes to a tribe, he can check the value placed on certain items and then knows what to bring to the tribe for trade.

If he needs Screws and happens to have brought some Mt.whitefish with him. He could sell his fish for 15 screws if that amount is available.

You would not have to assign value to all items in the game. just those your tribe needs/wants. all other items would not be accepted for trade until you assigned them a value.

This system would fully implement supply and demand. And would negate the need for a global standard currency.
    With this system, you would not have to go find the certain item(s) a player wants in return. You would simply need to bring items with enough value to that tribe to Exchange for the Item you are after.

This would not phase out the one on one trades. I feel those are better left to the "Tribal Questing System". If a Player has a very rare item and is willing to exchange it for resources or crafting Tools/Recipes or whatever. They can Post it at the totem. "Gather X Screws to obtain Ultra Rare Hat Recipe" whatever.

The system I am pitching will only cover a Tribe's Collective Efforts. Mainly allowing a tribe to sell off potentially unneeded items or to obtain items in high demand. Not for a single member to attempt to profit off his tribe.

Of course this system would have to be altered at later stages of our technological advancement to of course implement a Global or Regional Currency *Shudders*
    Sadly, as we progress we will eventually have to move to currency. But that will not be so bad because this system can be modified to accommodate that eventual shift. instead of Balancing your trade by value. You would be able to exchange items for Tribal/Regional Credits/Currency. At that stage Tribes or Nations/Alliances would just have to set their Exchange rates for other Currencies. This would just mimic the Economic Evolution of the World.

I will say again, this is not a design for personal trade. This designed to facilitate Foreign Trade on the Tribal scale.

Trade on the tribal scale can be done without the use of a type of currency. Different items will have different worths to different tribes. One tribe might need fish and have an abundance of metal, so they would trade x amount of metal for y amount of fish. To me, this works.

I see what you mean about currency, I think a good example of a post apocalyptic world in which this works is the fallout series, where caps are used as a form of currency.

After seeing what you have wrote, I would not openly object to having a currency system, should it be implemented, but I would much rather prefer a bartering system,

Personally, I prefer a global currency in the way Eve does it. Actually, I love everything about Eve's economy. From the way buying and trading is handled, to extent that harvested materials are used in the crafting process, and the way the ship destruction aspect promotes economic stability.

The only issue I see with having a global currency is where the money comes from. In Eve, money is introduced into the game by NPC quests and it's taken out of the game by NPC taxes. It's okay that these aren't equal since there is a large player-base and there is a constant need to replace items. So there is constant trade and money is constantly changing hands. The most important aspect of this is that a global currency streamlines the trading process and allows for trading to be done without the physical presence of both parties.

In an item-to-item trading system all items might have a value, but it'd more of a relative value. What I mean by this is that if I'm trying to trade my axe, and the only thing you have to trade to me is logs, but I already have enough logs and I want iron ore, then I'm not going to want to trade as easily. Sure I could try to barter those logs that you traded me for ore, but it's an inconvience and I'd likely favor someone else that has what I need, or, I wouldn't want to even bother. I'm still not saying it's bad, but it shouldn't be the only method to trading. Can you imagine the chat log? Brings back horrorible memories of lobby chat in Diablo 2.