The 2 Gather Skills when you create a character

What is the benefit of choosing them ? Only that you start with skill 25 ?

Well you also start with the applicable tool.

Quote Originally Posted by bodangly View Post
    Well you also start with the applicable tool.
    /this

Hiding, Foraging, Scavenging don't have tools.

Fishing starts with pole, Terraforming starts with shovel.

Not sure about Hunting as I always take Blades as my weapon.

I have noticed no difference in 5 and 25 Hunting. Animals give me the same skinning menu. Is that by design or just not implemented yet?

Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
    I have noticed no difference in 5 and 25 Hunting. Animals give me the same skinning menu. Is that by design or just not implemented yet?
    I hadn't noticed any difference either before last night (decided to do some exploration so restarted character) and with only 5 in Hunting I was failing quite a bit when going after the different items. For example, failed three times to skin, twice to get small bones, and once to get head. No idea if it was just bad luck or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvie View Post
    I hadn't noticed any difference either before last night (decided to do some exploration so restarted character) and with only 5 in Hunting I was failing quite a bit when going after the different items. For example, failed three times to skin, twice to get small bones, and once to get head. No idea if it was just bad luck or not though.
    I tested this a couple of times and there was definitely a difference. With 5 skill some of the bones I just couldn't harvest because of fails. Maybe some hide too.