View Poll Results: Should players be allowed to build anywhere?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

54 46.96%
  • No

61 53.04%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    You can theoretically build anywhere as long as it's in the radius of your tribe/homestead. Fine by me, would be stupid to have random abandoned shacks all over the place.

I've voted a strong no.

Sometimes it's necessary to limit player freedom because too many people can't handle freedom. If you allow this it won't take long until someone has the bright idea to terraform the words <expletive> into the landscape or gets some other equally disturbing idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMoe View Post
    I think it was said that the plan is to remove safe zones after the Prelude.
    Last i heard ingame from Xyson was that there was no plans to remove tribal safe zones, before, during or after Prelude. Alot of people seem to be confusing Tribal Warfare meaning you can capture other peoples main tribal areas. It has ONLY been stated that Tribal Warfare will revolve around EXPANSION Tribal Totems. In-game Xyson seemed fairly strong on the point that he doesnt want peoples main basis to be attacked and destroyable. He seemed really clear that the game revolves around rebuilding and building up a world with pvp being second to that and not interfering with that goal.

Of course that may change but I have a feeling that alot of people coming in here wanting a true FFA pvp world where they can destroy others work and so on, is going to be severally disabled. Rather now or later once Tribal Warfare is put in.

As far as being able to build everywhere. I doesnt really fit into the current setup of the game. If the game was built from the ground up with that in mind like Wurm Online then yeah. But thats not exactly the case here. With Tribes and Homesteads the ideal seems more to be of rebuilding a community style world then a bunch of indivial houses tossed all around the land.

Not to mention in order to allow houses to be built anywhere you would need to allow terraforming anywhere. And sadly with todays gamers thats only going to lead to alot of greifing and people building large pits around others lands and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom316 View Post
    Not to mention in order to allow houses to be built anywhere you would need to allow terraforming anywhere. And sadly with todays gamers thats only going to lead to alot of greifing and people building large pits around others lands and such.
    You have a problem with our mighty ancestral Great Penis Lake? :P

I vote no, it will change later.

I voted yes, I like the idea of a free-form world like WURM. Sure, you get some DBs doing stuff like digging pits near your home, dropping sand on your fields, or carving rude words into the landscape, but (a) you can undo these, usually faster and easier than it took to create them, and (b) if left alone, natural processes should slowly return these things to a "natural state."

So it would be disappointing if we can't build anywhere, but I could live with it. How about this for a compromise: make a "mini-totem" available for people who just want their own homestead or maybe to build a small bolt-hole off in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    I can see where you are coming from, but I don't agree with it. It's the whole, "we have ours so you can't have yours" mentality. I think that if you want to have a village you should also have to defend it. I don't think that buildings should be easily destroyed though. It should take a good bit of effort.
    sorry its not about we have and you don't, it's more about of we want this and if you don't like it go elsewhere and did it your way.
    I am fine with destruction of tribal constructions after someone declares war to us and we will have time to prepare to defend.
    Otherwise i see no challenge nor for attackers neither for defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
    I've voted a strong no.
    Sometimes it's necessary to limit player freedom because too many people can't handle freedom. If you allow this it won't take long until someone has the bright idea to terraform the words <expletive> into the landscape or gets some other equally disturbing idea.
    this

I refrained from voting. While I hate limitations, I know that no matter what most say, there'd be the jerks who just want to run around and destroy everything in sight or mess it up to be a pain in the ass to others. Remember, when you give unlimited freedom to those who just wish for a quaity game, you also give it to those whose only thrill in life is being an ass-hat.

Not understanding the issue here at all. You can build anything anywhere now as long as it isnt on someone elses land. If you want, you can set your totem up on the edge of a river, build a log cabin for your fishing and hunting hut, pick up your totem and move it to where you want to be later on. The building will stay behind and work just like any other building does currently, just on now public land. I understand what you want though, you want to build anything anywhere without limitations, and no I dont agree with that. There has to be some downside to being able to do it (wasting 6 hours to move your totem) otherwise people will build crap everywhere and make the place look like hell in a month.

Even Jooky pointed out he cant allow this because people could build walls around your plot without you being able to stop them. And thats just bad anyway you think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    How about this for a compromise: make a "mini-totem" available for people who just want their own homestead or maybe to build a small bolt-hole off in the woods.
    And really, are you guys even playing this game? We already have homestead totems in game. You know its very difficult to discuss topics with people who dont even read the update notes for the game let alone when they dont even play. Come on, at least try and become a part of the community before you start trying to change it.