Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FPS while playing

My system is:

Windows Vista 64
    4 GB RAM DDR3
    Nvidia GTX 285 1GB
    Processor Intel i5 2,66 Ghz

With that, and all graphic settings at max in the game (I started at Round Hill ) I am getting between 25-40 fps (60 fps if I look at the water). Most of the time between 25-30 fps (all at night, couldnt see the day yet).

Playing Age of Conan with Directx10 and almost everything maxed I get 30-50FPS. PLaying Darkfall with everything high I get 60-200FPS.

So is it normal at this stage of the game that I have that performance? All my drivers are updated etc. Is there any plan on optimizing the game performance before release? I guess that when the game is at the day time, with shadows etc I will get less fps I will post when I test it.

Re:FPS while playing

As I thought, at day time when shadows are everywhere, FPS drop and I am always at 25-30 FPS. Maybe the problem is shadows are not well optimized? But when some time pass, FPS increase again to 40-50 at same spot.

I found that changing "Tree detail" distance made a huge increase in FPS. Looking at a point at 52 FPS with a tree detail of 490m changed to 36 FPS when I moved it to 960m.

Also the Shadow detail from Very high at the same spot changed from 51 fps to 64 FPs at low.

What made a huge increase in performance was turning off the Adv Shadows, from 52 fps to 100+ fps.

All this make me thing that shadows need to be optimized over all.

treyu wrote:
    I found that changing "Tree detail" distance made a huge increase in FPS. Looking at a point at 52 FPS with a tree detail of 490m changed to 36 FPS when I moved it to 960m.

Also the Shadow detail from Very high at the same spot changed from 51 fps to 64 FPs at low.

What made a huge increase in performance was turning off the Adv Shadows, from 52 fps to 100+ fps.

All this make me thing that shadows need to be optimized over all.
    Though I have not been in-game of Xsyon personally, shadows are always a FPS hog in almost any game, so it's not all that surprising.

They are the first thing I make changes to if suffering FPS issues.

Though a 50ish FPS change from changing Adv Shadows is .. interesting.

So with my middle of the line machine, I'll probably end up playing with minimal shadows if any. Shadows could end up being a detriment anyway, as in Darkfall (especially at night), with poor vision allowing others to get the jump on you in a pvp situation.

They are going to optimize this for sure, so not worry. Either way, performance is not that bad, just that sometimes you get 20 fps instead of 40-50 fps, which shouldnt happen with my system when compared to other games as I posted. So don't worry, shadows will be optimized.

Shadows normally cause FPS issues in games, however I found another culprit: Xfire.

In some games if you have Xfire in-game enabled, it throttles your fps.

Furthermore I am assuming you have vert sync off?

Also I have to state that there is very little difference between 16x and 2-4x anti-aliasing. If there is an option for anisotropic filtering, rather use that as it makes a bigger difference. The best settings would be 2x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic with shadows on medium.

It could also be that they are still tweaking the graphics system and optimizing everything yada yada

But i must say that you should take this recommendation with a grain of salt as I haven't gotten into the game yet >.> So once I do, I will post an update of the best settings I have found to work

i never understood the 60-200 fps claim... the human eye cannot see more than about 30 fps, which is what most video is recorded at, digital might be slightly higher, but not by much... so if you are getting a true 30 fps, then you are at video quality, and its probably not even noticible until 15 fps... can u count to 15 in 1 second? didnt think so.

First of all, never expect as high fps in a game like this as in a game like halo,farcry,AoC WoW ,EQ

theres a huge tech difference between static landscape and a landscape almost entirely build out of dynamic content. every tree,junk piles,rock,grass, log.. its all separate loaded and this puts the system under strain. the more items the less fps.

and besides that.. above 30fps your brain is not able to process the chance this is plain and simple science no mater what rumors say.

How are you getting FPS numbers in game? There doesn't seem to be a way to display this.