Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I'm kind of happy with how the early start began. It simply means that the game is way more popular / hyped than what everyone on both sides was expecting it to be.

For all you people complaining about them not getting enough capacity in advance do you even have any idea how badly the numbers spiked in the last week in the lead up to launch?

A LOT of people didn't pre-order until a day or two before and there was a LOT of people following the threads over on mmorpg.com and the forum activity there has increased by well over several hundred % in the past week or so.

As far as Jordi knew he was on a lot higher bandwidth than he actually was, the hosting company didnt tell him until it was already too late. That coupled with the fact the game got a lot of additional players at the very last minute is just something he can't plan for. Of course we don't have exact numbers but im guessing the amount of people buying and downloading the entire game at the very last minute form a significant number of the current population.

[EDIT]

Myself, and many others, during beta testing have spoken with Jordi before about issues with the game and helping him nail down the cause of various bugs. He knows what he is doing and he has a lot of constraints placed upon him due to the size of the team and the resources they have at their disposal. You just need to give him a bit of time, not everything can be planned for and not everything can be fixed instantly.

vysara +1 I am willing to give the guides my patience and understanding. I have been around for many mmorpg launches and id say 1 in 4 has a smooth launch....like look at final fantasy 14 that was one of the biggest screw ups in history. I think they will have things under control soon as they can get the new server, like a guide posted they are not Blizzard. This is a company in its infancy, their first MMO launch; I wish them the best of luck getting things resolved

Rant Rant Rant - ok now I feel better. Was actually making some progress last night when my own machine decided it needed a nap. Get on this morning and we're back in download lag.

No idea how to fix this, I know Jooky and team are doing the best they can. Honestly folks what did we expect when the game hit #3 at mmorpg? I know me and many others have been hunting for a good game to play for quite a while. This is a good game going through major growing pains at just the wrong time.

I've been through bad launches before, it's hard to not want to jump in there and try to play but it's best to find something else to do to save yourself the frustration. I've also been through good launches where surprisingly enough the game collapses due to some weird technical problems a month in. Or in the case of EQ2 has major power (as in electricity) problems like three weeks into the game. Stuff happens.

At least everything is getting stress tested now before the official launch, and some of the hype will go down to much more reasonable levels.

Quote Originally Posted by psiic View Post
    This is the same problem I have with big game devs, they knew exactly how many people pre-ordered, once you realize you are are selling more than you expected then you immediately take that into account and make sure you have the bandwidth to cover that number.

Common-sense issues always annoy me and this is an issue that happens time and time and time again in game launches so by now every game developer indie or not should know its an issue.

Technically they could have posted the download to tons of offsite sources for free. Gamershell, MMOsite, Fileplanet...

They chose not to, so really don't have much sympathy for the "oh so many people are downloading " excuse.
    I can't see the point in creating a thread just to beef about it to be honest.. it won't change or improve the situation. You handed over cash in the full knowledge of what the early ride was pretty much guaranteed to be like.

regardless of the volume of rants, apologies and detailed explanations each gamer is left with a few options (details and an amount of money vary but the long term option is basically the same) whic is be paitent and wait for this game to work out, or go play RIFT or some other McMMO.

I tend to look at the 'meta-picture' and what I see is a many large development companies who should have created a game like this many years ago but instead continued to produce crap. Here we have a guy who when told 'dont like it? create your own ass wipe!' actually did create his own and it contains great features. For that I can wait, besides, I really dont have a choice because I am not going to play RIFT or DC Universe to be honest.

i was there for the launch of fallen earth. this is much better

You guys serious? Global chat eating resources? Sure few bytes every five seconds to everyone, now compare that to position updates for every moving player and the updates to the clients that can see the other players and update all of them about it simultaneously. But i do agree, shut down global chat (say give guides power to disable/enable so they can ask us questions) but for the sole fact that there are lot of ignorants misinforming others by silly babble and a lot of annoying bitching, it also moves more important chats quickly from the screen like tribe chat.

memory leak, network code is broke somewhere.

could take awhile to find it and fix it.

sucks. these guys are probably exhausted. a human can only code 8-9 hours a day and then their brain goes to mush, trust me. hehe

it is not a memory leak, it is a bandwidth problem. The download server and game server run off the same connection.