Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

My only problem with the Xyson team

This is the same problem I have with big game devs, they knew exactly how many people pre-ordered, once you realize you are are selling more than you expected then you immediately take that into account and make sure you have the bandwidth to cover that number.

Common-sense issues always annoy me and this is an issue that happens time and time and time again in game launches so by now every game developer indie or not should know its an issue.

Technically they could have posted the download to tons of offsite sources for free. Gamershell, MMOsite, Fileplanet...

They chose not to, so really don't have much sympathy for the "oh so many people are downloading " excuse.

And if they sold a whole bunch of pre-orders within a day or two of the wipe as he stated, then what? There is not enough time at the end of a week to get extra servers up and running.

What's even worse they're now talking about wiping the whole thing again. I paid good money for your product: MAKE IT WORK

yea OBVIOUSLY its that easy. I mean look how well WoWs launch went, or Fallen Earth or Mortal Online, or... wait.. do i see a pattern here? nubs.

Quote Originally Posted by fishFUNK View Post
    yea OBVIOUSLY its that easy. I mean look how well WoWs launch went, or Fallen Earth or Mortal Online, or... wait.. do i see a pattern here? nubs.
    Not nubs, really. They could have been through them and knew what its like to be in a bad launch and are getting tired of it.

But yea. I mean, if a ton of people buy the game so soon, its not the week of time they'd need to switch over EVERYTHING from one server to another. It's 2 days. I mean, Xsyon just like exploded two days before prelude pre-launch. They don't even have a publisher I believe. Give them the benifit of the doubt.

They do see a pattern, thats why they are frustrated. There is no reason why MMOs should still be having the same exact problems every launch. There is no reason there shouldnt have been enough bandwidth. They knew how many preordered, yes he said there was an influx of preorders but thats no excuse either. If this small influx of preorders overloaded the servers it means they were not ready for launch(real launch) where there will be an even bigger amount of orders.

Then I hear (rumors) of the download server being the same as the game server? I really hope thats not the case because that would be the biggest screwup in the history of online gaming.

Actually fallen earth launch went pretty well. The server didn't even crash one single time and the lag was acceptable.

They already ordered the new servers the moment they saw a spike in pre-order sales happening close to launch. Really, if you can't deal with it..not really anything anyone can do about your lack of patience :P

My problem is jooky always passing the buck. Always blaming someone or something else. A year ago we were a few weeks away from release of course that wasn't a massive error of judgement or a scam it's the old dev teams fault. Problems with bandwidth - let down by server hosts out of control even thO he knew since November. And now it's our fault for buying the game or not updating at the right time.

Look these things should not just be out of control as "the boss" make them your responsibility and fix it .

As soon as we had a larger influx of players than expected I got on the phone and ordered new servers. Our server hosts did not take care of this efficiently enough and we are stuck until the new servers are ready.

The download server is not the same as the game server. They are limited by the same bandwidth because they are behind a single firewall at the same facility.

I am not 'passing the buck'. I am doing my best to fix things. Ultimately, yes it's my responsibility, but as the boss of a small team I do have to rely on others who have been a let down. I just report things as they are, and that's all.

In November we were moved to a new facility. This was supposed to be the high end facility and connectivity seemed great (which it is). There was no way of me knowing that we were not a the higher bandwidth facility as promised until I was told a week ago that we were at an 'interim' location. So, this is being remedied as quick as possible.