Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question in regards to Wipe and download servers

I just have a quick question in regards to all that is going to take place now that the database is corrupted and the server is going to be wiped. It was stated that when the download servers were shut down, that the lag issue was completely eliminated. So what is stopping from locking down the download servers and forcing those that still need to download the game to do so through torrents? Is it not possible to do this, and then do the wipe and allow all of us to play the game now instead of having to wait several weeks, since the downloaders were the apparent issue? Afterward, when the servers transition takes place you can just migrate and then reactivate the raw download server.

I'm just curious about possibilities here, I think I speak for a very large base that had set aside time this weekend to play and are a little saddened about not being able to. In the end do what must be done, just thought I would throw this out there for consideration.

Hello Skylock,

There are a few problems with this.

First problem is that while most here know how to run torrents etc there are others that are not or do not want to have such a program on their computer for one reason or another. Because of this Xsyon has to supply the download.

Second, The download/patch server not only updates files but checks them for errors and legitimacy. Without the patcher checking the files people could upload their own mods/scripts/bots/wall hacks etc. So it acts as a security measure.

/sign

or at least give us a date of the move as your previous update had stated the "server relocation" would happen before the originall 3/1/11 launch and if that was true then what day next week can we expect "Beta" to end?

I think a lot community should follow Skylock's example. He posts a clear message of dissatisfaction with questions and suggestions on how the problem can be fixed all without losing his head.

And what happens?

Feedback happens...

Props to the both of you.

I presume the download issue is due to people downloading the full ~3.7Gig client. That would be perfect to have as a torrent. Once they have the full game, THEN use the download server when people log in, when file analysis needs to take place, and they only need to download the 10Meg patch files in order to be up to date. That's a 370 times difference in download requirement per person. Just a thought.

Edit: I think the majority of the people on here would know how to obtain files by torrent. Most people would already have a torrent downloader installed. Those that don't could be directed to a fileserver site like Rapidshare or similar site to get the download without having to install a program.

I would dearly love to be able to play sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Straylight View Post
    I presume the download issue is due to people downloading the full ~3.7Gig client. That would be perfect to have as a torrent. Once they have the full game, THEN use the download server when people log in, when file analysis needs to take place, and they only need to download the 10Meg patch files in order to be up to date. That's a 370 times difference in download requirement per person. Just a thought.

Edit: I think the majority of the people on here would know how to obtain files by torrent. Most people would already have a torrent downloader installed. Those that don't could be directed to a fileserver site like Rapidshare or similar site to get the download without having to install a program.

I would dearly love to be able to play sooner rather than later.
    this is what should be realy done. there like 10 billion sites like rapidshare and megaupload u could use for download till u get the bandwidth fixed. this is my suggestion on how it should be done.

1. direct download moved to a file site temp till seprate download bandwidth can be gotten for it
    2. wipe server. dont worry about the tribes the data is corruped from server crash anyway no use wasting manpower and money on something that will cause more problems than gain.
    3. have the whoever is doing the servers setup the new servers and have them ready for data transfer before retail.

this way u satisfy your needs to get game up and keep people happy without having to spend to much money and manpower and also dont lose to many people to the ones that do charge backs due to how server started out.
    and a question shouldnt the download and update server be on differnt parts anyway?

u need only to set the launcher for don't download update if it need more than XX mb ...
    if is more redirect to other sources (direct download/torrent) they are faster too ^^
    and btw if i remember well the wow updater was with a bit torrent client (i don't remember what game was :P)
    btw if u wanna do a cool thing u can implement a torrent client inside the launcher and u solved all the problems :P

if we were go towards a plan like Trigun suggests the problem right now is not enough seeders. Also, from what we looked at most file hosters required you to login to get premium download speeds. We didn't want to force people to do that.

I understand what you're stating Virtus. Not enough seeders is an issue which is reliant on each and every one of us contributing. I will say this, though, if it was officiated that the servers were going to wipe and be back up for legitimate, permanent play you would see me lining up to seed the files for other players. I want to play this game, as do many other people lurking in the shadows wishing for the answer to appear and tapping their feet waiting patiently (or not so patiently as some are wont to do). In regards to the other issue, I've seen stated many times throughout the forums that the devs "Do not wish to force" any of the players to do this or that. At this current time, the state of the game is forcing ALL of us to not get to play. Which is the greater evil? Again, I want to emphasize here that this is all said in good faith and only for the purpose of adding possibilities and thoughts. I am not mad at the developers, they have made a game that I have longed for years to play. In the end I just do not really see unsolvable issues, just statements of potential drawbacks that are experiencing an unwillingness to be overcome. As always, the devs will do what they feel is best in the spirit of their game. I will wait as patiently as I can, but I will not restrict myself from making suggestions to try to speed the process. Best of luck!

Just like to say, keeping the players informed and admin responses on the forums have been wonderful.
    Good job guys. Getting ready for round 2