Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lazines

Wipe is always the best solution for a corrupted database, as long as it is possible. I agree that it would be catastrophic if that happened some months after launch, but loosing half a day of work isn't so painful. I'm happy Jooky chose to wipe, facing random bugs all over the game because of corrupted data would be much much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Celstra View Post
    So your saying instead of a quick wipe we should wait weeks? Or however long it takes to sort all the data out.. Guess that makes since o.o
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Yes, the 3 people making this game are real lazy. I mean Jooky could just stop time so he can go through the database and fix it so we don't lose what amounts to 2 hours of actual in game progress.
    If they have to go through every line of tribe and totem information they really did poorly design the DB.

Most modern DB have the ability to accept a single query to dump the entire tables of information. so you could do like an sql DB, DROP TABLE "Tribes". This then deletes all the information in those tables making them empty. One single line and the tribes were wiped.

Thats what I'm saying, if they design the schema or the structure of how the information is stored in a way that isn't going to be easy to just dump the tribes somethings wrong. If something like this happens during the live game do you think people are gonna put up with a wipe cause its the "easier" option?

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    DB isn't corupted, DATA is. There is a difference. DB is tables and refferences between them. There must be something in the code that was saving bad data into db and they are fixing it.

But at this point it's better to wipe and start over. Lots of tribes lost their lands to other tribes due to server rollback(saving corrupted data). How do you decide which tribe should get that land?

Sure it easier and probably can be fixed without wipe but is it fair?
    A table is both the data and the entries to which I identify them. so The table of tribes, would could field for index name players size, and this table would contain an bit that says, 1, Epic, 5. This right here the information IN that entry is whats corrupted, so instead of Epic having the right index of 1, might have some how saved as 5. While the totem referencing it might for some reason have referenced a different tribe.

DB's arn't as hard or complicated to understand guys. Seriously grow up and learn something, stop just sitting there assuming you know whats best but thats what you were told...

If the data would be dmg in 2 weeks than they would upload the last working backup. This was not possible yet because the server crashed over and over. Sorry if you have no clue you shouldn't make angry threads

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    DB isn't corupted, DATA is. There is a difference. DB is tables and refferences between them. There must be something in the code that was saving bad data into db and they are fixing it.

But at this point it's better to wipe and start over. Lots of tribes lost their lands to other tribes due to server rollback(saving corrupted data). How do you decide which tribe should get that land?

Sure it easier and probably can be fixed without wipe but is it fair?
    Yeah its likely there are a ton of data where the realtionships dont exist because it wasnt able to save the data nor rollback the transaction. Something this massive it really does make sense to wipe because it could take a lot of work to fix those realtionships. Clearly if something like this happend on month 2 it would be a different story but if we dont wipe it would take a long time before he could go live again. I would rather he wipe and spend that time on new features.

Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    If the data would be dmg in 2 weeks than they would upload the last working backup. This was not possible yet because the server crashed over and over. Sorry if you have no clue you shouldn't make angry threads
    And whats the promise on the back ups not being corrupted? What than? Man you cant just make a half assumption and jump on it. You have to plan these things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Metsuro View Post
    DB's arn't as hard or complicated to understand guys. Seriously grow up and learn something, stop just sitting there assuming you know whats best but thats what you were told...
    maybe you are the one who needs to stop assuming, as the devs have said it is not only corrupted data but data wasn't even saved at times due to the server lagging out during the save process, some claimed lands only to find out it didn't save and someone else got it afterwards so whether the db can or can't be fixed giving the situation of what went on the only fair thing to do is to wipe and go from scratch again.

as far as this happening a gain they also are already implmenting a secondary db save feature to rectify this. I'm sure they also back up the data daily if not hourly but that would not have helped this time since there was no good data to begin with to backup.

I know ,nobody is happy with this weekend.But to call the team lazy that's just wrong.You can call them understaffed,but not lazy.
    How many hours of sleep you think Jooky had since thursday,not many.What's going to happen when he tries to sleep tonight? he's going to see nothing but lines of code running by