Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKrueak View Post
    I guess you were never at the age of conan launched, they did a rollback also after the first few hours. you also seem to think it was easy for them to decide on a wipe, again people are assuming. i'm sure if a wipe wasn't needed there would not be one and being a guy myself in IT that runs DB's for a living i can understand their hassle especially when they had no good data to begin with.
    We are talking here about data, which has been saved for days(from friday to actual wipe after n days). Saying, that there is no good data is odd in situation, where character progression is saved, tribes are bit more messy, but even there is something to save as most tribes have settled down somewhere.
    Also.. if you work with DBs for living, then you probably know also, that wiping the data is basically not an option. About Conan I don't remember the rollback, but if you do, I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtus View Post
    ...I will also add that on these forums and on MMORPG forums there were lots of viewable posts stating that there was lag and that the early access did not go as well as planned. Now, however, the team is working thier asses off to fix the current problems....
    Problems were expected, anyone who thought that there would be no problems were naive. And you guys are doing great job, can't argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by rixk View Post
    We are talking here about data, which has been saved for days(from friday to actual wipe after n days). Saying, that there is no good data is odd in situation, where character progression is saved, tribes are bit more messy, but even there is something to save as most tribes have settled down somewhere.
    Also.. if you work with DBs for living, then you probably know also, that wiping the data is basically not an option.
    Theres no good data spot to backup to because it started off as being fucked up. What do you suggest they do, fix the problem and rollback to the last spot that the DB was working fine? Because that was about 1 second before the server came up and everyone started creating characters and logging in. Seems to be exactly what theyre doing. =D

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    Remember Mortal online they were like this. They told us dumb shit like "Oh we didn't know people would download and play the game"
    LOL
    Boy who's your momma? Someone needs to slap that biatch for raising a fool like you!

See!! This is what happens when you let people PvP too long. This should be a lesson to every one. PvP is BAD for da brain!! Just say NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Tehralph View Post
    Theres no good data spot to backup to because it started off as being fucked up. What do you suggest they do, fix the problem and rollback to the last spot that the DB was working fine? Because that was about 1 second before the server came up and everyone started creating characters and logging in. Seems to be exactly what theyre doing. =D
    Database is accessible and queries can be done to that. Majority of its content seems to be good data, otherwise we wouldn't be able to save our progress(from my experience part of my bags content and weared equipment isn't being saved currently, maybe there is something else too, but this is what I have encountered). My thoughts were going along this line, that it is possible to export "good parts" of the database and import it to new database later.

Well look at it from a business standpoint, have your small dev team spend hours salvaging the database of less then half a day worth of playtime, or spend 5 minutes wiping it to spend the rest of the time working on stabilizing the game to prevent it from happening again. Personally I would have wiped as well, if the game had been live for more then several days it would be a different story.

An awful lot of people seem to know how much bad data, good data, old data, data backups, no data backups, when the backups were made or not made. I begin to wonder how many of these posters work for the company since they seem to be in the know. If you don't work for the company and have no idea on what is or isn't, then I would suggest a little less of 'you need to do this, or you should have done this'. IMO

it may have been saved for days, but as soon as the servers went line there was data NOT being saved at all due to lag, this is my point in saying there was no good data to start with, things may be saving correctly now but at the beggining it wasn't for everyone so the fair thing to do is to wipe and have everyone start on fair ground again from scratch once these issues are resolved. but again we all have our opinions and the are speculating on the issues. The only ones that truly know what went on our the devs and if they say they need to wipe i believe them. like another posted why wast days of time trying to piece a db together when they can wipe and spend the rest of the time actually fixing the issue. I know some are ticked off by it but remember it hasn't launched we were given another 2 weeks of headstart bascially since the launch is effectively pushed back to the 15th.

Also.. if you work with DBs for living, then you probably know also, that wiping the data is basically not an option. About Conan I don't remember the rollback, but if you do, I stand corrected.

Problems were expected, anyone who thought that there would be no problems were naive. And you guys are doing great job, can't argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbrtsn View Post
    An awful lot of people seem to know how much bad data, good data, old data, data backups, no data backups, when the backups were made or not made. I begin to wonder how many of these posters work for the company since they seem to be in the know. If you don't work for the company and have no idea on what is or isn't, then I would suggest a little less of 'you need to do this, or you should have done this'. IMO
    THIS

Quote Originally Posted by MrKrueak View Post
    it may have been saved for days, but as soon as the servers went line there was data NOT being saved at all due to lag, this is my point in saying there was no good data to start with, things may be saving correctly now but at the beggining it wasn't for everyone so the fair thing to do is to wipe and have everyone start on fair ground again from scratch once these issues are resolved. but again we all have our opinions and the are speculating on the issues. The only ones that truly know what went on our the devs and if they say they need to wipe i believe them. like another posted why wast days of time trying to piece a db together when they can wipe and spend the rest of the time actually fixing the issue. I know some are ticked off by it but remember it hasn't launched we were given another 2 weeks of headstart bascially since the launch is effectively pushed back to the 15th.
    And that brings us back to the original concern of "....I like the game, but now I'm wary of there being more screw ups and I'm wondering when the next wipe will be after next weeks since the devs would rather wipe then fix the issues."
    The problems pop out daily as we can read from Jordi's reports, we can never be sure, that our chars won't be wiped again, but that is certain by now, that our characters are expendable.

And that brings us back to the original concern of "....I like the game, but now I'm wary of there being more screw ups and I'm wondering when the next wipe will be after next weeks since the devs would rather wipe then fix the issues."
    The problems pop out daily as we can read from Jordi's reports, we can never be sure, that our chars won't be wiped again, but that is certain by now, that our characters are expendable.
    yes that could possibly be an issue if they were not going to fix it, but as is they have already implemented features to keep this from happening again. of course they can't 100% say it won't happen again but with what they already have done there will be redundant ways to save the db info, not counting the fact they the would have the DB back up constantly and keeping an archive of them so if they have to rollback it wouldn't be a complete wipe but simply a couple hours or a day rollback depending on what their backup schedule is. I'm sure the devs are taking as many precautions and fixes as possible to assure this doesn't happen again. I believe this was the stated reason why they wanted the lag to continue, and delaying the wipe until the new servers are up so they can monitor and fix.

I usually worry as you do as i've been burned myself by pass MMO's such as the DNL disaster, Vanguard, Conan etc but with this team the short time i've been around seems to have passion for their game and is not all about making as much money as possible but put out a enjoyable game at the same time.