New player experience

I like the game, I do. But as with all MMORPGs it's inevitable that players leave the game for whatever reason and that new players need to join to keep the numbers up. Therefore it's necessary to think about the new player experience.

Now, with pre-launch it's less of a problem, there are huge tribes from beta and there are many pre-made guilds that come from other games, notably from Darkfall and Mortal Online (that in itself could also become a problem, but that's for another thread to discuss ). That part of the new player experience is no problem. The problem is when a new player joins the game in a few weeks or months. He/she doesn't know anyone in the game, knows no guild, has no friends in the game and has to figure out how to get things going.

He gets probably killed the moment he steps out from the (safe?) spawn point and there's a fat chance that he will start the game in his undies and will have lost his weapons too. I've never lost my starter crafting tools through a gank, thus I assume these are somehow safe from looting.

Suggestion No. 1: Make all starting equipment unlootable and untradable. Not that I think this will in any way cause the gankers not to gank but at least the new player doesn't have to immediately reroll his character after he spent 2 minutes in the game and it gives him a chance if he makes it past the gankers somehow.

Still not a very good new player experience.

Suggestion No. 2: Make a max-size tribe at all starting locations (leader of the tribe is a GM) and make a player autojoin this tribe when a new character is created. New players are free to leave this tribe whenever they want, additionally they get booted from this tribe after, say, 5 levels. That way a new character is safe within the land of the tribe and has a chance to get to know other new players via the tribe chat to organise themselves before they venture out.

Suggestion No. 3: Give this autotribe a small junk heap.

I agree with the 1st idea. Not sure about the second one. WAR instituted an 'auto guild' for new players. All that really did was fill chat with ppl asking how to drop it.

I've found the community pretty helpful to new players and there are plenty of solo players who will take them under their wing.

There are probably some things that can be done, I'm not sure what at the moment, but I am interested in some feedback.

Hallo! Guten Tag, Larsa! Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
    (German to English translation for those who can't speak German: "Hello! Good afternoon, Larsa! Do you speak German?")

I see that your location is Germany. I live in the United States; however, regardless, I am 100% German. It's always a pleasure to see on a forum that someone's location is listed as Germany, so I've decided to greet you in the language for absolutely no reason at all! (Lol.)

Anyway, now to my point.
    Your ideas are very meaningful and helpful, and I'd just like to thank you on behalf of Xsyon for posting them here. I agree with your first idea completely, so I will be sure to mention it to one of the members of the Xsyon administration, if they have not reviewed it already. Your second idea is very well thought, so don't get me wrong when I say this: your idea is so well thought out, that it seems like a blur when I read it. I've read it now four times, and even though I get the just of what it is trying to convey, and even though many of the broken-up concepts are well thought of, I'm afraid that I cannot completely understand the general idea that you are trying to give to us.

If you would be so kind as to explain your second idea further for me, I will gladly look it over further, or give you constructive criticism. I really appreciate your good effort in trying to help Xsyon grow. Thank you. I'm looking forward to reading your response to my feedback!

Danke, und auf wiedersehen!
    (German to English Translation: "Thank you, and goodbye!")

Just FYI after a few weeks the starting points are going to be going away once he gets the new spawn system in place. Tribes will be able to set there tribe as a spawn point and give players a better start in the. So players will be able to pick what Tribe / Point they want to spawn at.

This will let new players see what Tribes can do and also give Tribes a good way to recruit and help new players just starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom316 View Post
    Just FYI after a few weeks the starting points are going to be going away once he gets the new spawn system in place. Tribes will be able to set there tribe as a spawn point and give players a better start in the. So players will be able to pick what Tribe / Point they want to spawn at.

This will let new players see what Tribes can do and also give Tribes a good way to recruit and help new players just starting out.
    is this as cut and dry as it sounds..it sound great and horrible all wrapped into one :P
    great as we can start at our tribe totem, and not have to force the "master the coords system within the first 2 minutes ingame" on friends we talk into buying the game.

but also if they are a 'hidden hermit" tribe, they wouldn't want random people spawning at us, or even worse, the ganker/griefers being able to just reroll, pick a random tribe and chase its members around on spawn in. much less anyone and thier brother able to roll and "browse" around maybe a good off the beaten path area they took the time to find.