Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by river111 View Post
    Well you have to understand, the original plan was to let tribes place for the first 2 days and then homesteads after. This got argued and changed ot allow everyone to place at the exact same time. The problem came in with the change in the mechanics behind the tribes. It wasn't a requirement originally to have 5+ in your tirbe in order to place a tribe totem. So when we all discussed it the first time around it wasn't a consideration or a concern. However, now that you look at it, is it really fair to the tribes if the homesteaders can place instantly and they can't? Now its the shoe on the other foot type deal. I'm a homesteader myself, but I'm willing to see it from the other side of the ailse here. What I argued the first time around, to be able to place at the same time, is now an unfair advantage for me and my kind. The same thing we faught to stop ourselves the first time around. In my opinion there needs to be some system that gives everyone equal footing on placing. A small window up front seems the most 'equitable' option for both sides. Both get to place the same day, but no headsteader can place before the tribes can get thier tribe memebers invited first (a requirement for them to place which the homesteaders do not have).
    Oh I didn't take that into consideration. You're right about the homestead being able to place instantly. Ok what about a 1hour delay for homesteads? Just for homesteads? Or if it delays 1 hr for all make homesteads a 2hr delay. Jeez I'm waffleing so much...well what can I say when faced with an argument that makes more logical since than mine, I cave lol.

honestly I don't think there should be any delay.

tribes are just going to rush to the spot they want, and then stand there for an hour and slaughter each other until you can place the totem.

As for settletments, i still think they should have to wait conisdering they only need 1 person to get an instant spot.

Quote Originally Posted by river111 View Post
    If you ask me, instead of saving totem placement, what he should be saving is tribal membership data. So when you log in on landgrab day your tribe is already saved. ...
    You've put your finger squarely on the mechanic that is making this 'game' versus 'real world.'

Might an alternative be: one person can place either a tribe or a homestead totem. If you place a homestead totem, fine. Nothing more happens. You've got your homestead as usual.

On the other hand, if you're one person and you place a tribe totem, you then have [x] amount of time to actually form a tribe. If you fail to form a tribe w/i the alloted time, the totem gets erased and the usual timer for re-placing your totem kicks in. The land is now once again up for grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post

tribes are just going to rush to the spot they want, and then stand there for an hour and slaughter each other until you can place the totem.
    Exactly. I think this is just as it should be. If you're not strong enough to hold onto a patch of land, you don't get to keep it.

(As an aside: see? I'm not so much of a carebear after all. I'm all for PvP ... when it serves a purpose.)

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post

<snip>
    And amidst the confusion of battle, a homesteader sneaks in and drops his totem ? Perfect !

Just a warning for OP suggestion, If you allowed a 1 hour where no totems are place, a tribe like Hopi would go to their perfect place by the river where the birds fly and yadda yadda, then have to sit there for 1 hour. Meanwhile all the Hopi haters run circles around them waiting for the hour to be up so they can place it there first(alternatively they could kill Hopi and not have to spam the butan). Hypothetical of course we all know the Hopi tribe totem is the only standing man made object to survive the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    Exactly. I think this is just as it should be. If you're not strong enough to hold onto a patch of land, you don't get to keep it.

(As an aside: see? I'm not so much of a carebear after all. I'm all for PvP ... when it serves a purpose.)
    Has nothing to do with strength. You can drop a totem INSTANTLY. How do you defend against something that happens instantly? You can't. Even if you have 20 guys there defending the spot all one homesteader would have to do is make a mad dash into the area and click place totem.

Yes I realize if you have 20 guys there you could start 4 tribes, but my point being that no amount of defending is going to stop a homesteader.

The tribal timer idea so far sounds like the best one. You send your scout out to secure the area and everyone gets there as fast as they can behind him.

I agree that the ability to place a totem and have it take instant effect is a game mechanic that needs to be re-examined in light of all the above. But the fix seems fairly simple: for the first [x] minutes after its creation, a totem is vulnerable to attack and destruction.

I say everyone starts out on a level playing field. Its what will make the land grab exciting. If a homesteader gets there first, so be it. There is plenty of precedent in real life where homesteaders got in the way of big corporations, or cities, or whatnot. However, there are ways of dealing with them in the long run. Let the homesteader beware, his actions may have consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbrtsn View Post
    I say everyone starts out on a level playing field. Its what will make the land grab exciting. If a homesteader gets there first, so be it. There is plenty of precedent in real life where homesteaders got in the way of big corporations, or cities, or whatnot. However, there are ways of dealing with them in the long run. Let the homesteader beware, his actions may have consequences.
    Agreed. PVP is more than just killing each other - it's learning to negotiate, barter, and deal with all kinds of player made obstacles.