201. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already know that!

174 86.57%
  • I did not know this!

14 6.97%
  • wtf! I'm quiting!

13 6.47%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    This is exploitable. My tribe could just start a bunch of close homesteads and we can be safe forever and acting like a tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Grushenko View Post
    This is exploitable. My tribe could just start a bunch of close homesteads and we can be safe forever and acting like a tribe.
    Yes you could, and your tribe wouldnt have any of the perks of being a tirbe then. Every member would only be safe on thier own homestead, if they wanted to go help a friend they would have to drop the rescourses outside thier land and thats as far as they could go. They wouldnt be safe there either. The scrap pile would have to be left outside homestead land other wise the other members in thier own homesteads would be encrouching on tribal lands when they attemped to take from it.

Sure you would have more safe zones, but you guys are thinking like a PvPer, you expect people to cheat becuase well, PvPers do. Any and all exploits which can be used to help you survive in a dog eat dog society is acceptable to a PvPer. Like plitting up to homesteads now so your tribe can drop homesteads ANYWHERE and dig pits and build indestrucable dirt walls only to pick the homestead up and move on. Yes, everything can be exploited, and given the chance every PvP player will use those exploits as part of thier game. This isnt' the way everyone plays though, thats where your getting it wrong. Thats just you, as a PvPer, how you would USE it to your advantage.

A tribe, non-evil that is, comes together for the social aspect, to work together on a common goal. To build the town, grow in size, see a sense of accomplishment. Get the chosing your own currancy, building a bank, and action house, sharing tools and recipes, and geear. Thats what the non-PvP people do. They would have NO NEED of splitting into homesteads just to have a safe zone thats 60m accross. It would defeat every purpose they have in playing in a tribe in the first place.

So dont go thinking just because it could be exploited by some, that it will be exploited by all. Chances are the ONLY people who would exploit this are PvP griefer/gankers. And that my friend is the Gods honest truth and you know it.
    \
    Oh and just to add ot this, an easy way to fix the exploit is simple, PvP flag. IF you have engaged in PvP, either attack or defend, then your safe zone will NOT work for you for the next 30 minutes, period. You can also use this flag for the drop on a tribal/homestead tote. too - if you have engaged in PvP combat, again, you can not place a totem for 30 minutes.

Maybe there's an even better way, though, one that would let tribes of >5 still have a chance to defend themselves against bigger tribes. Maybe a strength of that protection (whatever it is) that diminishes with both number of tribe members and size of territory. So a tribe of 30 would have less protection than a tribe of 8.

I'd be happy with a war totem myself. A ranking member of one tribe, given the priv for it, would be able to move into an enemy tribe territory and drop a war totem. The war totem would have the same radius as thier own tribe has and would negate the safe zone inside it until it is destroyed. Each tribe would only be able to drop say 3 war totems in a 24 hour period but could drop all 3 at once, or one after the other. Inside the warzone (created by the war totem) everything is fair game, destructive buildings, empty containers, open PK. Once the war totem is dropped howver the safe zone comes right back as normal.

You want some fun in PvP warfare, THIS would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by river111 View Post
    Yes you could, and your tribe wouldnt have any of the perks of being a tirbe then. Every member would only be safe on thier own homestead, if they wanted to go help a friend they would have to drop the rescourses outside thier land and thats as far as they could go. They wouldnt be safe there either. The scrap pile would have to be left outside homestead land other wise the other members in thier own homesteads would be encrouching on tribal lands when they attemped to take from it.

Sure you would have more safe zones, but you guys are thinking like a PvPer, you expect people to cheat becuase well, PvPers do. Any and all exploits which can be used to help you survive in a dog eat dog society is acceptable to a PvPer. Like plitting up to homesteads now so your tribe can drop homesteads ANYWHERE and dig pits and build indestrucable dirt walls only to pick the homestead up and move on. Yes, everything can be exploited, and given the chance every PvP player will use those exploits as part of thier game. This isnt' the way everyone plays though, thats where your getting it wrong. Thats just you, as a PvPer, how you would USE it to your advantage.

A tribe, non-evil that is, comes together for the social aspect, to work together on a common goal. To build the town, grow in size, see a sense of accomplishment. Get the chosing your own currancy, building a bank, and action house, sharing tools and recipes, and geear. Thats what the non-PvP people do. They would have NO NEED of splitting into homesteads just to have a safe zone thats 60m accross. It would defeat every purpose they have in playing in a tribe in the first place.

So dont go thinking just because it could be exploited by some, that it will be exploited by all. Chances are the ONLY people who would exploit this are PvP griefer/gankers. And that my friend is the Gods honest truth and you know it.
    \
    Oh and just to add ot this, an easy way to fix the exploit is simple, PvP flag. IF you have engaged in PvP, either attack or defend, then your safe zone will NOT work for you for the next 30 minutes, period. You can also use this flag for the drop on a tribal/homestead tote. too - if you have engaged in PvP combat, again, you can not place a totem for 30 minutes.

Well the way to fix this is even easyer: ban. But it would still remain an exploitable broken mechanic, and not an exploitable bug.

I played Df as my whole tribe/guild/whatever, and i know what an exploit can provide, also if just the 2% of the server abuse of it. Ask everyone about the power some clans had in the past due to exploits.
    The game will be wasted in 2 months. So i'm sorry but the devs can't let something pass just coz "hey, just few ***** abuse of it".
    Nothing about think as pvper, but only thinking about a fair game.

I'd be happy with a war totem myself. A ranking member of one tribe, given the priv for it, would be able to move into an enemy tribe territory and drop a war totem. The war totem would have the same radius as thier own tribe has and would negate the safe zone inside it until it is destroyed. Each tribe would only be able to drop say 3 war totems in a 24 hour period but could drop all 3 at once, or one after the other. Inside the warzone (created by the war totem) everything is fair game, destructive buildings, empty containers, open PK. Once the war totem is dropped howver the safe zone comes right back as normal.

Why so messy? Declare war = no more safe zones for both.

Quote Originally Posted by FabricSoftener View Post
    if there was a pve game that had deep crafting and allowed me and my 'clan' to build outposts, villages etc I wouldnt be playing this game

I have been playing video games for a very long time and to be frank if I never killed another anything for the rest of my gaming career that would be fine. Yeah its fun but after a few decades it really gets old.
    http://www.roma-victor.com/

"RedBedlam is currently focussed exclusively on developing projects for third parties. It is worth bearing in mind however that a great deal of work was put into the project codenamed 'Roma Victor 2', and we still have every intention of releasing a top quality historically authentic 'remake' at a later date."

That war totem idea is actually really cool. Maybe it wouldn't end up exactly as you describe it since that's kind of based off some assumptions about how things will work, but the concept of a war totem is neat.

Make a thread about that idea in the suggestions section. I think it's something Jooky should consider as he puts together the details for the tribal warfare system.

YAY we can kill people!

Without reading the thread... yeh, duh.