Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Xsyon, let's consider 2 server rulesets again

FFA PvP and the ability to lose your land needs to be implemented sooner than the later perhaps.

The world needs to shape in accordance to how people are going to play/expect the world to be. Or else it will form in a non-natural way.

For example, if FFA PvP were in place right now, the player base would react in a different way. We would all be fortifying our territories with walls, water (or some sort of security mechanism). And that's exactly what would happen if this were RL - the first thing to do would be security to protect yourself and your belongings.

FFA PvP would cause people to ban together, start cities, start government, start politics, declare wars, etc. It's just the way of things.

ATM I do not see how a random spawn of racoons or bears is going to do that.

In one of your updates, you mentioned 2 servers, the current ruleset and a "hardcore" ruleset. Perhaps with all the lag/leaks we experienced over the weekend, maybe it would not be such a bad idea to wipe with 2 servers, a FFA PvP (no safe zones) and a normal server (what we have now). That essentially is the only difference - the safe zone PvP toggle.

This way we have 2 worlds growing as they "should". Everyone is happy.

I can respect both the PvE'ers and the PvP'ers outlook on this, and in my 13 years experience in playing sandbox mmorpgs, I have found it next to impossible for developers to please both PvE'ers and PvP'ers. In the end one of the 2 groups leaves the game and over time the sandbox drys up and blows away because of it.

I do however realize this is more work/pressure on you. Since you would have to now maintain 2 servers.

Anyway, just something to consider/discuss.

-Big C

Its a really bad idea splitting up a already small community. Also there has been talks about a EU server if its needed, should we then split up into 4 different servers? No please keep this to one server, people who buy this game already know its a FFA PVP game.

Just FYI:

Just to stop this before this takes off... PvE server was not an option.

What I was considering was 1 server with PvP and ruleset as planned and a new 'War' server with safe zones gone as soon as possible and full on tribe take over and destruction like a segment of our population would like.

So
    server 1: Xsyon as planned, PvP with rules and consequences.
    server 2: War... total chaos server.
    Was posted by Xsyon, 1 day ago.

stick with one server, if EVE can do it then so can we.

What I was considering was 1 server with PvP and ruleset as planned and a new 'War' server with safe zones gone as soon as possible and full on tribe take over and destruction like a segment of our population would like.

So
    server 1: Xsyon as planned, PvP with rules and consequences.
    server 2: War... total chaos server.
    Server 1: Will still follow this:

Can architecture structures be damaged by other players at any time?
    As the game evolves yes. This won't be in for a while as towns are planned as safe zones in the Prelude, though I am considered tribes to allow to choose if they want to be warring tribes during the Prelude. Warring tribes will be able to attack each other.

When will we be able to raid other tribes? And what systems are you planning for that?
    Not for a while. This was planned for after the Prelude, which will last at least 6 months. When a raiding system is implemented I will first look at what other games do and what systems have had success.

After prelude- will tribes be able to conquer other tribe lands by destroying their totem?
    Yes. How this will work is not fully decided yet. Since we first started working on Xsyon, many games have come out with some good ideas for this type of warfare. We're going to spend some time checking these out before we implement what we think is the best solution.

Server 2 only difference is there are no consequences for killing another player and safe zones would be removed before prelude is over.

I'm in agreement there needs to be only 1 server.

There needs to be consequence for killing other players.

If that's not what he means- then I'm totally confused about what this game is supposed to be about.

-----------------------

I agree that there should be only 1 server- 2 if an EU is needed.

Also, safe zones should be removed ASAP if the plan is to remove after prelude anyway. (pvp with consequence)

A "War/Chaos" server would be really good for the game right now, at least reading over the forums that is what a lot of players want. Especially on the mmorpg.com forums. It would really promote the game.

And I would rather split up a community now, then wage war on forums all day over "safe zones" - and have it continue through out the life cycle of this game....

Both servers would do great. You have to realize that. This is not a selfish move, I truly believe it's best for the game in the long run. But it has to be a decision made before we start the game again.

It also buys Xyson develop time (to implement content such as tribal warfare, asset takeover etc). By simply removing safe zones, he gives the hard core PvP'ers plenty of content in that itself.

Personally I would prefer the following setup:

1. One server with FFA PvP ruleset (like it's now) and tribe warfare once it's implemented.
    2. One server with only tribe vs. tribe warfare once it's implemented.

On both servers structures can be destroyed during tribe warfare. Tribes and homesteads can be looted, etc.

I predict about 75% of the current playerbase will play on the 2nd server. The rest will play on server 1 initially but will rather sooner than later leave the game because there are not enough "carebears" on that server, i.e. not enough victims. This is also known as the "Felucca"-effect.

("Carebears" above is meant in an ironical sense, I would play on the second server.)

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbrtsn View Post
    absolutely not
    Why? This is not a poll, it's a suggestion/discussion.