Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Make Starting Tools Bound and Non-lootable

For some reason, the game currently encourages people to reroll their characters. If you get killed early on and lose your starting tools, your best bet is to just reroll. If you want to start with all the tools, just reroll and store the items until you have them all. It's incredibly stupid that players are rewarded for deleting their character and making a new one.

So, two reasons starting tools should be bound:

1. They need to be un-lootable and untradable so that people don't exploit deleting and recreating characters.
    2. When a new player gets killed and loses their tools, they shouldn't be left with their only options being to start over or ragequit. Yes it's possible to get new tools, but if just starting over is the easiest option then that's a problem.

agree

this will give griefers less reason to kill starting players.

Agree, and it's not like the bound tools last forever, couldn't they degrade over a reasonable time period?

nah make nothing "bound", that word tastes too much of WoW.

first thing you should do when establishing yourself is try and get together with friends/neighbors and stockpile tools in a basket by your totem. this is called planning ahead, an important survival skill important in full loot games and real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Banok View Post
    nah make nothing "bound", that word tastes too much of WoW.

first thing you should do when establishing yourself is try and get together with friends/neighbors and stockpile tools in a basket by your totem. this is called planning ahead, an important survival skill important in full loot games and real life.
    Sure, sure, if you want to be in a tribe that's great. If you are solo, it is not great. Also, in real life we have something called perma-death, so please don't compare the two. This is a game, and as such, it has a ruleset. I see nothing wrong with starter tools being bound. It reduces griefing.

I vote no..this game wasnt intended to be safe for soloers to begin with...but even now consessions were made to give them homesteads...leave your tools on your homestead when venturing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I vote no..this game wasnt intended to be safe for soloers to begin with...but even now consessions were made to give them homesteads...leave your tools on your homestead when venturing out.
    I totally agree.

Agree with the OP. This has been suggested a few times before (though probably buried in the middle of another thread) as a solution to the "all tools" exploit with the added bonus of a little anti-griefing insurance.

I definitely agree that the game should be played with other people. The problem is that MOST people don't start playing a game with a group of people. They say "Hey, that game looks neat, I'll buy that" and then find people to play with once they're on. At least 90% of them will be killed and have their tools stolen before they manage to find a tribe they want to join, and I would say that most of those people will ragequit, because really their only other option is to completely start over. I would be fine with the starting tools being temporary, either by number of uses or a time thing, but since that's a little more complicated to implement, I'm just suggesting an easy 5 minute fix to a major major problem that will kill this game's new player retention.

Edit: Oh, and to all the people who think this would make the game easier to solo, you are absolutely wrong. Right now the game is super easy to solo since you can just reroll an endless supply of tools and you really don't need to rely on anyone else. What sounds more overpowered to start off with, a couple of unlootable tools or an unlimited number of lootable tools?