Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why Safe Zones are a good thing.

Quick note; I am not looking for a massive argument/debate, what I am trying to do [possibly foolishly] is convince some of you pvp nuts [said with love!] that having safe zones is not game killing.

I do not understand why some people do not like safe zones. They are, for all effects and purposes, harmless. They provide crafters with somewhere safe to make things, and in effect keep players playing the game.

A prediction; If complete freedom of pvp is enforced, no safe zones, most players will leave the game, pvp nuts complain that barely anyone plays, game dies....
    Keep optional safe zones and pvp is allowed in alot of places, plenty of targets to kill, few players leave because they don't like safe zones. Fun is had by the rest.

Even if you cannot attack their base right now.. you can still post a scout close to their base and have him alert you when a few players cross their boundry, charge in and slaughter their men. Perhaps they will get annoyed enough to attack you back, perhaps they will declare war.

To my mind, optional safe zones are the perfect way to maintain a high population, keep PvP alive and satisfy both groups [in general]. Loosing that 1-5% of killing area seems a small price to pay to keep a game with good ideas, great devs, and lots of promise [remember it is still not fully released] running, with a decent playerbase.

I'll stop here or it will be too long, and if you have read this far. Thank you, and i would appreciate it if you stop and think before charging in and claiming carebear or blindly claiming your opinion without acknowledging the other sides', but this being the internet.. I will compromise and not expect it

Quote Originally Posted by YamiOkami View Post
    Quick note; I am not looking for a massive argument/debate, what I am trying to do [possibly foolishly] is convince some of you pvp nuts [said with love!] that having safe zones is not game killing.

I do not understand why some people do not like safe zones. They are, for all effects and purposes, harmless. They provide crafters with somewhere safe to make things, and in effect keep players playing the game.

A prediction; If complete freedom of pvp is enforced, no safe zones, most players will leave the game, pvp nuts complain that barely anyone plays, game dies....
    Keep optional safe zones and pvp is allowed in alot of places, plenty of targets to kill, few players leave because they don't like safe zones. Fun is had by the rest.

Even if you cannot attack their base right now.. you can still post a scout close to their base and have him alert you when a few players cross their boundry, charge in and slaughter their men. Perhaps they will get annoyed enough to attack you back, perhaps they will declare war.

To my mind, optional safe zones are the perfect way to maintain a high population, keep PvP alive and satisfy both groups [in general]. Loosing that 1-5% of killing area seems a small price to pay to keep a game with good ideas, great devs, and lots of promise [remember it is still not fully released] running, with a decent playerbase.

I'll stop here or it will be too long, and if you have read this far. Thank you, and i would appreciate it if you stop and think before charging in and claiming carebear or blindly claiming your opinion without acknowledging the other sides', but this being the internet.. I will compromise and not expect it
    I do agree with small safe zones in the starter (around the lake) area. Not where there may be rare or 2nd generation (hopefully) resources though

With no safe zones everyone will be just rolling PK, non crafter characters with all points in STR and AGI.
    The game will be no fun at all.

Darkfall doesn't need safe zones.
    Xsyon does.

Quote Originally Posted by bruisie159 View Post
    I do agree with small safe zones in the starter (around the lake) area. Not where there may be rare or 2nd generation (hopefully) resources though

It has to be a bigger area than the edge of the lake, or only the big tribes will be safe, since there has been so much squabble over that flatland. I trucked my crafter out into the boonies and parked her far from the lake so I wouldn't have to deal with any drama (and it seemed like the right thing to do), so don't punish the small tribes and solo players who left the lake for the giant communes!

So what are you going to do in this utopia safe zone...craft things just to craft them?

You were aware this was a ffa full loot pvp game when you joined right?

Join an evil pvp tribe, use what normally would be your enemy as protection. They need your crafted goods, you need their protection. Win Win and the developers never have to step in.

However i still see no problem with making founders island as a safe zone, its not stategic, its limited, and theres really no reason for anyone to swim over there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fflhktsn View Post
    So what are you going to do in this utopia safe zone...craft things just to craft them?

Join an evil pvp tribe, use what normally would be your enemy as protection. They need your crafted goods, you need their protection. Win Win and the developers never have to step in.
    I leave my area and risk being killed all the time, once I have a place to stash what I can't replace without a week or two of doing nothing but combing junkpiles (no thanks!). And I have every intention of going out sometimes just to find someone to attack me, so I can defend myself, much to someone's dismay and hopefully demise. And hopefully they'll have nerfed the bare handed nakeds by then and I'll actually be able to kill entire packs of them, once I'm properly armed and armored.

However i still see no problem with making founders island as a safe zone, its not stategic, its limited, and theres really no reason for anyone to swim over there anyway.
    I see your point... if this was a pvp-centric game. Or an fps possibly... but this is not a solely pvp game, alot of the posts I see are either ; Pvpers asking for no safe zones, or complaining about safe zones, and crafter types asking for things to stay the same, possibly a few asking for more safe zones.. but i havent seen that yet...

Why can't you guys just accept the game the way it is? I like the game, and i may suggest some ways to improve the game.. but im not going to complain that i cant eat my cake because the devs are shovelling chocolate into my mouth. Appreciate a good game for what it is, and dont deny non pvp'ers a small area that is safe. Think about early uo... safe zones.. lots of pvp.

Edit; i realise that uo pvp was much better than xsyon, but a) that is a different topic. and b) the devs have already stated they are working on that

Quote Originally Posted by ifireallymust View Post
    I leave my area and risk being killed all the time, once I have a place to stash what I can't replace without a week or two of doing nothing but combing junkpiles (no thanks!). And I have every intention of going out sometimes just to find someone to attack me, so I can defend myself, much to someone's dismay and hopefully demise. And hopefully they'll have nerfed the bare handed nakeds by then and I'll actually be able to kill entire packs of them, once I'm properly armed and armored.
    Well unhanded is OP, and i dislike using it, however ill always be naked while in gank mode. The type of player you are are my favoriote to encounter, you fight back, and when people fight back i die...often, and thats what makes it fun.

Whats not fun is getting whispers full of curse words and insults before i even loot them. To me its asking me, no begging me to grief them, which ill do. I ofen make note of the area and person who is like this, and make it a habit of stopping by, and for these people i spare no items in their inventory.

However i have come across several people who found the encounter hilarious, despite losing. All they lost was their pants and i moved on, wishing them the best of luck. I remember these people too and dont go out of my way to harm them when i see them.

Guess its my way of self regulating people who fail to realize they play a game, a game where death is possible and means really nothing. Also these people often fail at adapting to the full loot pvp enviroment, as i find lots of valuables and tools on them, and i wonder...did they expect never to lose any item...why dont they bank their stuff more often...why do they need crafting tools while scavanging....its all fun for me, but there are good people out there that dont take a game as seriously as life itself, i enjoy these people more...however the tears of a crybaby are delicous and do sustain me.

Well unhanded is OP, and i dislike using it, however ill always be naked while in gank mode. The type of player you are are my favoriote to encounter, you fight back, and when people fight back i die...often, and thats what makes it fun.

Whats not fun is getting whispers full of curse words and insults before i even loot them. To me its asking me, no begging me to grief them, which ill do. I ofen make note of the area and person who is like this, and make it a habit of stopping by, and for these people i spare no items in their inventory.

However i have come across several people who found the encounter hilarious, despite losing. All they lost was their pants and i moved on, wishing them the best of luck. I remember these people too and dont go out of my way to harm them when i see them.

Guess its my way of self regulating people who fail to realize they play a game, a game where death is possible and means really nothing. Also these people often fail at adapting to the full loot pvp enviroment, as i find lots of valuables and tools on them, and i wonder...did they expect never to lose any item...why dont they bank their stuff more often...why do they need crafting tools while scavanging....its all fun for me, but there are good people out there that dont take a game as seriously as life itself, i enjoy these people more...however the tears of a crybaby are delicous and do sustain me.
    I have yet to swear at anyone for killing me in this game, not that I've been killed much, since my first encounter with Blackzilla taught me the value of, 'run away, run away now!' rather than, 'oh looky, a fire, I wonder if I can cook over it, right here by the edge of this great big lake, with all these other people wandering around!'

The thing that the ganker types fail to understand is that FFA PVP game does not equate to free for all deathmatch. They think it's basically an FPS style game with skills/levels (and then complain about how long it takes). And then they proceed to drive away everyone who was looking for an actual mmorpg that happened to allow ffa pvp. Yet the people leaving are the ones generating the sub numbers to keep a game healthy, not the small minority of ganker-types (aka "criminals").