Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the basic tenets of society since the dawn of recorded history apply.

If you can't protect it, don't build it, lest it be taken away

If you can't protect yourself, join with someone stronger that can

In the end, ideals and ideology are only as strong as the sword that protects them

hoping and praying that the big bad wolf outside your door will go away, is highly unlikely to motivate said wolf to go in search of another meal. Solution: shove a spear down his throat, make a coat, a hat, AND get a big pot of wolf stew for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    the basic tenets of society since the dawn of recorded history apply.

If you can't protect it, don't build it, lest it be taken away

If you can't protect yourself, join with someone stronger that can

In the end, ideals and ideology are only as strong as the sword that protects them

hoping and praying that the big bad wolf outside your door will go away, is highly unlikely to motivate said wolf to go in search of another meal. Solution: shove a spear down his throat, make a coat, a hat, AND get a big pot of wolf stew for supper.
    Excuse me a moment, my Irish, Scottish, and Welsh ancestors are trolling me for forgetting their tribal societies.

Okay, they're quiet in their graves again.

Fact is, the Native American tribes had no horses, so a lot of the mobility and industry necessary to widespread conquest wasn't there, and Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and for that matter Mongolia are so mountainous, cold, or isolated that long-standing conquest was impossible in those places until technology advanced beyond the knight with his horse and his sword.

In any case, forcing a game to fit Dubanka's (correct) historical summation is not necessarily a good idea, since what kept nation states from rising and spreading in the past are things a game cannot or probably should not incorporate. Real consequences for death is of course the primary one, but there is also terrain, language barriers, and I'm sure other obstacles I'm not thinking of. Without the obstacles to the 'march of history', consolidation and conquest will happen swiftly. Numbers mean everything, and a lot of the players in these games seem to have that 'will to power' personality. It doesn't take much fortune telling skill to know how that will end up. Just look at a different history. The history of ffa, full loot mmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudder View Post
    I was never interested in pvp nor pvp games. I have seen too much killing in REAL LIFE.
    Lol too much killing in real life.
    You should have read up on this game before playing. They started pvp ffa loot and territory control would happen, but not be the main focus.

See, here's the difference between real life and MMOs. In real life, people can be dedicated 100% to keeping the peace, guarding the gates, and generally doing the grunt work of maintaining a civilization. In MMOs, people (one would hope) will logout eventually to sleep, eat, and earn a living. Also most players don't want to spend their precious free time standing around guarding stuff, and won't pay a monthly subscription fee to do so. So a certain level of abstraction is useful in an MMO, in terms of small safe zones, hired NPC guards, et cetera.