Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My PvP Idea

I agree completely on the why, just the how needs more tweaking to get it to happen. I'm all for PvP too, with meaning and within reason. A tribe of 30 running over 3 homesteads every day destroying what they have isnt' with meaning or within reason. However, if those 3 homesteads have players on them that are actively engaged in PvP then they should be at risk for PvP even on thier homestead as they have actively chosen to partake. Thats why I'm for a PvP flag with a timer on it. You engage in PvP your flagged for 30 mintues and noplaace is safe for you then, not your homestead, not your tribal lands. I feel the safe zone issue is a bit more complex as it helps the ones it intends to but harms the ones it doesn't not intend to harm. Thats also why I think to avoid exploits the flag should carry over to placing and abandoning a totem, if your flagged you should be prevented from doing both for that same 30 minutes.

A switch on the PvP flag could be done as well, actively on or actively off, but it has ot have its consiquences. Personally I think that switch should only be allowed once every 24 hours. You chose to PvP right now thats fine, but your gonna be flagged as chosing to PvP for a full 24 hours. You shouldn't be allowed to PvP one guy then switch back cause its no longer safe (since he went back for friends).

A choice should be there for both sides, but the choice should be set and not exploitable. It should carry the weight of the decission for some time.

Oh, was also thinking a bit more on the war totem idea. Reason I like this over a 'switch' for vulnerability is the spontenaety of it. A good tribe is not going to know when an evil one is going to pick a fight with them, they will be going about thier business until it occurs. What would be cool on it is if /s channel got used with this for announcements. Lets say those bastards from M2S got all uppity and decided the Hopibears needed to give up some of thier tools. They band together, run out over the hills and thru the woods and hide in the forest just outside Hopiland until the time is right. Then, just as the sun starts to set they make a mad dash for the firelight. Hopibears got no idea its coming until the see a red flash in thier /s channel saying:

***Menace 2 Society has declared WAR on the Hopi tribe!!***

The chaos begins. Hopi bears running around all panic'd looking for where those bastards are at. Where did they drop thier War Totem!! OMGZ where the hell are they!! But of course its dark and they just can't tell until BAMB!! Three M2S just ran them over, burning tents, killing chickens, kickin over babies!

Now of course in the same /s range there are those good for...well those Regulators. They like them Hopibears a LOT. They were chillin at the river cooking Brookies on the campfire when they seen the /s channel light up in red:

Now, this just can't stand! So they mount up on thier stick-ponies and ride off towards Hopiland, blood in thier eyes and screamin for blood! Of course by the time they get there, nothign but carnage everywhere, M2S thugs sitting around the Hopi-fire handing out Christmas presents to each other and laughin it up like fuzzballs. But, since thier War totem never got taken down its still free for all on that burned out plot of ground...so BAMB! Sticks, and golfclubs flying everywhere, M2S dropping like flies. Two for the Regulators find the War totem and make quick work of it and the /s channel rings out...

***Menace 2 Society has been repelled!!***

Safe zone pops back into place on the Hopiland and the survivors start to pick up the pieces. But its not over yet, oh no, cause those fine upstanding citizens the Templars, they heard the commotion on thier /s too, but they dont care much about the Hopibears at all. No, while the Regulators was riding to save the bears those Templars, they was a sneakin in for the M2S lands and when that M2S war totem fell the chat rang out almost instantly with...

***Templars have declared WAR on the Menace 2 Society tribe!!!***

Ahh such good times all around yes. And all this can happen WITH safe zones in place. Sure they wont be safe all the time, but most the time yes. And PK tribes and people wont be able to abuse it, they will have to pick and chose thier targets, and be ready when anyone in /s hears the chime come out. They wont be able to leave themselves open al the time.

This is why I like the War Totem idea better than a switch method. It adds flavor to the game, those that declare war alot will gain infamy, those that are hit alot and defend quickly will be feared for thier prowess in defense, and those that come to the rescue will gain notoriety for thier justice. Now sure, not every part is ironed out in the idea, but I kinda like it, maybe you guys got some ways to improve it, maybe it can't be worked or improved. But its worth a shot.

What about this scenario:

We wait till you go to sleep, plant our war totem and destroy everything you have at our leisure time.

Question: why would anyone build anything in the first place? Just make all PvP characters and go around placing war totems. You havent build anything and dont have anything on your tribe land, so you dont give a damn if someone is there to raid you. Although, you can target some juicy crafting tribe and take all their stuff. While they sleep ofcourse.

I hate Vulnerable flags.

If you log in, you should be vulnerable.

MAYBE EVEN IF YOU DONT!

Agreed with MikaHR. I don't like systems that allow for a "surprise attack" style of raid. The surprise attacks for just plain old PvP is more then fine with the "vulnerability" stuff, on tribes that want to play vulnerable. But for looting/pillaging/destroying of structures, that idea is not sound. For those types of fight, there truly does need to be a timer. I hate timers that allow the "attacker" to decide when the fight is to take place, because they can just "adjust" the attack time based on their time zone, where as if the defenders are 8 to 12 hours different, well, 4 am is hard to anyone to wake up just to play a video game.

Is more of what I think should be, by letting the Defenders decide, within a set limit of time, when the fight will be, as it's their territory being attacked.

Yes, not all fights are "planned," but that's the point of the vulnerability system. PvP for clans that welcome it, at any time, sieges and tribal warfare for those that are interested it, but still leave those that don't want it, to play the game in their own way. Who is to decide on playstyle is "better" or "more right" then another? I think all playstyles are welcome, except those that which truly do damage the game.

Well as you have seen in the past on here 99% of the time I fight to defend against open PvP gankfest, but I can tell you this much, any system that lets the target chose when they would like to be attacked will most likely get a negative response from anyone who wants to PvP. Thats like the bank robber being told when he can rob the bank, by the cops, when they are ready for him to show up. I'm one of the guys planning on playing solo in the mountains on a homestead here, I have no desire to see months of my hard work destroyed by some roving band of fools. But come on, seriously, only be attacked when you say you can be attacked? I'd rather vote for no safe zones period than a 'please come and get me now' button. What are we playing hide and seek and the IT guy has to count to 10 to come find us??

Fine, you dont want surprise attacks because of which part, the destructable buildings? Ok, then ask to get rid of the destruction of buildings. Dont like it becuase of lootable containers, fine ask that containers can't be looted. But seriously, the best solution you can come up with is the defender gets to chose when they can be attacked??? Oh and not just when, but for only a limited time, then neener neener neener!! Really.

And as far as that tribe coming in after everyne goes to sleep, sure they could. But thats why you limit how many War Totems they can place in a certain time frame. To force them to chose thier targets. 3 in 24 hours too much for you, fine make it 3 in a week. 3 in a week to many, how about 1 a week. 1 a week to much for you, fine ask for 1 a month.

Sorry if you dont like me not agreeing with your system Will, but this is one carebear who things your way you want it done is just too carebear even for me, and thats sad since I'm the guy who has no problem spending 10 hours of game time sorting baskets.

I like the war totem idea, maybe with a twist. What about having to make a war totem? Takes quite a bit of mats and once it's done a message is put in area chat

*** Blah Blah Blah has constructed a War Totem ***

That would put everyone in the area on alert. The tribe that made the totem would have to transport it to the area they want to stick it, at a reduced rate of speed of course, and they have 24 hours to move it. That gives time to respond and time to build a defense, even make an effort to slow down or stop it. That way, no surprise attacks, and no early early morning sieges without effort from a good chunk of the whole tribe. I mean if you want to get your whole tribe up at 3am to start a siege, so be it, good luck!

I like the declaring war idea, but, declaring war and inflicting war is 2 different things. Declare all you want, you have just opened yourself up for attack, and you can't make a war totem or siege items without declaring war or being declared on. In short, you can't build weapons of war during peace. That reflects back to Will's idea of the more wars you fight, the better your skills get. The amount of mats needed to fund a war would make any tribe think twice about declaring without real effort.

Let the juices flow!!

One lonely guy up in the mountains above five tribes is lucky enough to have a valuable resource on his tiny strip of land. The five tribes living by the lake below decide trading for that resource is getting old, and besides, it will be cheaper if they just declare war on the poor guy, one after another, in turn, day after day, pillage, destroy, and kill him, until the guy gives up and moves. Then one of the tribe members puts an alt (people do own second accounts, you know) on the newly vacant spot, and that's the end of that trading relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooflung View Post
    I like the war totem idea, maybe with a twist. What about having to make a war totem? Takes quite a bit of mats and once it's done a message is put in area chat

*** Blah Blah Blah has constructed a War Totem ***

That would put everyone in the area on alert. The tribe that made the totem would have to transport it to the area they want to stick it, at a reduced rate of speed of course, and they have 24 hours to move it. That gives time to respond and time to build a defense, even make an effort to slow down or stop it. That way, no surprise attacks, and no early early morning sieges without effort from a good chunk of the whole tribe. I mean if you want to get your whole tribe up at 3am to start a siege, so be it, good luck!

I like the declaring war idea, but, declaring war and inflicting war is 2 different things. Declare all you want, you have just opened yourself up for attack, and you can't make a war totem or siege items without declaring war or being declared on. In short, you can't build weapons of war during peace. That reflects back to Will's idea of the more wars you fight, the better your skills get. The amount of mats needed to fund a war would make any tribe think twice about declaring without real effort.

Let the juices flow!!
    I like this, maybe not have to carry the War Totem to your enemy, maybe make that the switch Will was thinking about. A tribe has to build the War Totem, and once its built, that is the switch that turns on thier ability to go to war. I would think having to maintain it a good idea as well to simulate the cost of war, not sure how to do that one, but that makes sense. This would bring the fight to the attacker too, which is a good thing if you ask me. If so and so tribe has a War Totem up, and the surrounding tribes dont want to be attacked they would have to band together and attack the War Totem thats located on so and so's land. Until they do, so and so tribe can be at war with anyone.

Yeah that would definately work, allows for proactive and reactive content. Gives incentive to cooperate together politically as well as financially on both sides. Also makes the PvP guys have to do at least a little crafting to get what they want, just like it makes the PvE guys do a little PvP so it balances that argument out some.

Well, theres few things that needs to be considered:

1. If you allow random pillaging, tribes wont keep anything valuable on their territory, you have to make tribes pretty much required that their stuff is kept whitin tribe territory

2. if you make tribes keep all their stuff in tribe territory, you get very negative effect if you allow random pillaging

3. You have to make tribes want to keep their territory (not because of resources) but for safety, and have fully functional defences provided by game mechanics. Just digging deep ditch should in no way be considered any real and meaningful defence, but fully functional fort

4. Attacker that wishes to pillage someone elses fort must also be required to have fully funtinal fort that would protect their "war totem" construction, if they dont build sufficient defences their efforts are easily interrupted by, well, anyone that wishes to do so

5. There are interesing mechanics that can be related to "gods", such as, to deploy war totem tribe must make a "war tribute to the gods" that they lose to defending tribe if they fail

6. Defending tribe is required to match attackers "tribute", if they fail to do so whitin certain time frame their land gets automatically open to pillage by attackers (this is in conjuction to no. 2). Defenders tribute goes to attackers if defenders fail

7. Only tribes that have "paid a tribute" can participate in "pillage war". Mehanic that prevents people leaving/joining tribes must be put in place to prevent abuse

8. In no way can tribes that hadnt built anything, put any effort into securing their lannds even get a chance to have a shot at tribes that did, by games mechanic they are considered barbarians that havent advanced enough to have any menaingful impact on those that did advance - "naked barbarian" have pretty much no effect on fortified city walls, although they are free to roam open world. Jordi is an architect so i guess he has good insight in development of city/forts through history

9. This is drawn from ancient Rome and later "city states". If Romans managed to put up their palisades/forts, barbarians were pretty much helpless about it. If you want to have a shot at Romans, you have to advance to their level, and no Rome didnt fail because they didnt have means to defend themselves, but because of their inner crap. Byzant managed to more/less survive to 15th century, conquered finally by their match.