Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to select the right craft skill

In order to select your preferred craft and be good at it, you still need to make sure you put the right points into the right starting skills. (you have access to all craft skills, but you may want to focus on 1 or 2 so that you can be the best at those particular crafts)

Here's a list of what each Base Stat deals with:

Strength:
    Primary: Carrying Capacity, Combat Damage, Logging, Terraforming
    Secondary: Bone Craft

Fortitude:
    Primary: Energy, Stamana, Hit Points, Resistance

Agility:
    Primary: Combat Speed, Jumping, Swimming, Climbing

Dexterity:
    Primary: Basketry, ToolCraft, WeaponCraft, BoneCraft, LeatherCraft, WoodWork, Tailoring, Cooking, Firebuilding
    Secondary: Logging, Fishing

Intelligence:
    Primary: Poisoning, Healing, Architecture, Reading, Religion
    Secondary: Scavenging, Foraging, All Crafts, Stealing

Perception:
    Primary: Cooking, Fishing, Scavenging, Foraging, Hiding, Detection, Stealing, WoodWork, Fire Building

Charm:
    Primary: Animal Taming, Tribal Leadership, Religion, Fail, Luck
    Secondary: Hair Dressing

Spirit:
    Primary: Healing, Cooking, Animal Taming, Faith, Religion, Experience
    Secondary: Architecture, Basketry

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding points to the right base stats is going to be very important to be the best crafter in your chosen profession.

For Example:
    If you want to be a specialized Toolcrafter, you're not going to put all your stat points into Strength, Fortitude, and Agility because this would give you no points where you really need them. (you can see on the list where a toolcrafter would need more points)

Note:
    You can also subtract points from base stats to give you more points to put in something else.

I really want to do animal taming and healing but unfortunately they aren't implemented yet so it wouldn't be a smart move to invest in spirit/charm.

How do you increase these stats or are the permanently set when you create your character?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurpitsa View Post
    How do you increase these stats or are the permanently set when you create your character?
    your base stats do not increase above their max.

not sure how they increase but from my understanding the do increase, not drinking or eating will result in a stat loss as well as not doing things related to the stat (like not carrying heavy things for strength) however stats will naturally want to move back to their base, so if you fall below your base it will want to naturally grow up to base and the reverse is true as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FabricSoftener View Post
    not sure how they increase but from my understanding the do increase, not drinking or eating will result in a stat loss as well as not doing things related to the stat (like not carrying heavy things for strength) however stats will naturally want to move back to their base, so if you fall below your base it will want to naturally grow up to base and the reverse is true as well.
    i edited.

So, if a group of 8 wants to be as effective as possible, shouldn't they all just invest every single point to one attribute?

EDIT: Ah, you can't go over 90 points.

So, if a group of 8 wants to be as effective as possible, shouldn't they all just invest every single point to one attribute?
    in a sense yes, but if you look at the list some of those skills are covered in more than one attribute.

Fortunately everyone can max out almost 4 stats to begin with if you get rid of the useless ones that you don't really need, I.E. spirit/charm

KeithStone, would you mind clarifying exactly how primary and secondary stats affect skills? Nothing that I've read in the forums thus far has been very clear on this point.

Question #1: Does having higher primary and secondary stats for a particular skill impact only success rates or does it increase learning time as well (i.e. having higher stats would allow you to learn a skill faster given an equal amount of successful skill usages than if you had lower stats)?

Question #2: Will having lower primary and secondary stats make it impossible to craft the highest level recipes in each skill tree or simply increase potential failure rates?

Question #3: How much more of an impact do primary stats have on a skill than secondary ones? For example, will having a high base dexterity compensate for an abysmal spirit level when using a skill such as basketry or is it essential to have both at a high level for success?

I'm planning to sacrifice certain stats (mainly spirit and charm) during character creation in order to create a more well-rounded, combat capable character and have had difficulty determining exactly how stats work during my couple of days in game. If there is in fact no way to increase base stat levels then getting it right the first time is obviously a priority. Any help that you or anyone else could offer in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!