Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Way too much grind for this century

Hey !
    I know, this word is overused these days, but so far, i like the 'potential' of this game. At the Moment there is only one problem which really really bothers me, and will propably keep me from subbing when its going life, and thats this insane grind.
    Take scavanging for example - you can do 3 hours of walk, press 3 ( since 1 and 2 is not usable - wtf ?!), walk, press 3, walk, press 3 and get maybe 5 skillpoints and not even one bolt. This is just not right ...
    Or sneaking - i tried that for hours yesterday and i don't got one single freaking point for it.

It feels like a good old leveling game, but instead of having a char level from 1...x once, you have to level from 1 to 100 like 10 times, and each time you have to do another repetive and boring task for ages.
    This maybe is what some are looking for, but seriously, they should try anarchy online .. or lineage.

I for one see 2 problems with that: it leads to macroing and it centers the game around maXxoring skills.

Since there is a skill decay, terraforming, open pvp, tribes and loads of stuff ahead, there is really no need to have these traditional slow progressing skills - it should at the very very least be as fast as it is in Mortal Online, where you see almost immidiately a skillgain the first time you use it. Lets say it again: at the very very very least !

thx for reading

have you played darkfall?

the grind in this game is fine- it took about 15 hours of straight scavenging to get to 75 - it's not a bad grind.

and, if you are trying to be everything that is where you may find it a hard grind.

this game is about selecting the right starting points to build your character based on your chosen trade and craft skills.

See this simple guide I made about selecting your starting skills:

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...ht-craft-skill

You defend the grind by taking an example of another, even more insane grinder ?
    Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by dyneol View Post
    You defend the grind by taking an example of another, even more insane grinder ?
    Try again.
    Ok, how about this:

the grind in this game is fine- it took about 15 hours of straight scavenging to get to 75 - it's not a bad grind.

and, if you are trying to be everything that is where you may find it a hard grind.

this game is about selecting the right starting points to build your character based on your chosen trade and craft skills.

And you consider 15 hours of scavanging fun ? ( and what you have to do for that, i described in the op ) Personally, i think games should be about fun, no ? And what about the macro part ?
    Skill decay is here for you to hinder you from becoming a master-of-everything. Exponential slower skillgain and real knowledge/experience should separate the master from the average. It should take no longer than one or two hours to get to 75 scavanging, if you dont have many other skills.

So,

If you max out the skills in like 2 hours....what are you going to do then?
    Right...you complain about having nothing to do...or get ganked in pvp...

The skill gain is okay, if you don't like scavanging, then don't do it...do something useful like Toolcrafting or something else...most of the parts can be found by extracting Scrap stuff from the scrap yards...then sort it and *tadaa* you get mostly everything you want.

Some parts CAN only be found by using scavanging, like shovel heads, saw's and so on.

And the game is not for maxing out ALL skills, because you have the decay on it.

If you want to get Scavanging up to max fast, then do some terraforming (you get really good exp) and when you lvl up you can spend all the extra points on scavanging...

EDIT: about macroing: i think there will be bans for it....and when you scavange when ur afk you will get ganked

All mmorpg are grind
    but diference time consuming

ones is levelgrind others skills grind others resourcer grind others gear grind your chossen
    i forget moneygrind

i play lineage 2 and DF,Warhammer i know gap in grind
    for me Xsyon easy to skilling up

See, I think (my thoughts only) that you have the wrong mindset. You logged into the game, looked at the numbers besides your listed skills, found out what the max was, and set a goal to "get them numbers up". It's the same mentality that a friend of mine has. He plays WoW and constantly complains about the lack of content...yet he powerleveled 80-85 in two days doing dungeons...the same dungeons..over and over again.

PLAY THE GAME! The skills will come with the fun. It's not the game that "centers...around maXxoring skills"...it's the players.

Use skills when you need them and set some goals for yourself other than maxing out a bunch of spreadsheet numbers! The game will be a LOT more fun I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Malivius View Post
    See, I think (my thoughts only) that you have the wrong mindset. You logged into the game, looked at the numbers besides your listed skills, found out what the max was, and set a goal to "get them numbers up". It's the same mentality that a friend of mine has. He plays WoW and constantly complains about the lack of content...yet he powerleveled 80-85 in two days doing dungeons...the same dungeons..over and over again.

PLAY THE GAME! The skills will come with the fun. It's not the game that "centers...around maXxoring skills"...it's the players.

Use skills when you need them and set some goals for yourself other than maxing out a bunch of spreadsheet numbers! The game will be a LOT more fun I believe.
    !this
    give yourself the goal to build your own "house" or a special "weapon" or equipment...more fun than maxing out

Quote Originally Posted by Malivius View Post

Well, this is what i hoped i can do in xsyon, all i complain about is that i dont got one skillpoint for one evening of playtime. This evening was totally wasted. Another one was when i scavanged all the time while getting 5 sp and not even one bolt.

I never tried terraforming, but that gain sounds about right.