Couple Questions

I have a couple questions before I decide if I want to pre-order this game.

Does it have the same look/combat system that Fallen Earth and most "sand-box" games have. Example: You are always on combat but to interact with things you have to hit tab to switch to look and have to push tab again to do anything combat. I am mainly looking forward to a system that works much like Fallout has as in you always do combat but if you look at an item you can interact with the game knows to pick/use the item instead of trying to hit it.

I am sure this next one is how I think it will be but never know. Will this game have a set number of "skill points" that limit how much your character can know...much like the system Mortal Online has.

I heard there are no NPCs in the game and I think its a great idea but with that I am wondering how trading will happen. If its left up to players I have a bad feeling the game will end up like Diablo II did and certain items will act much like Diablos stone of jordan (sojs). This means that if the game has no real currency the trading between players will sooner or later be dictated by the rare items in the game and if you want to trade for something the odds are it would take just as long to find something people actually want then to just make the item for yourself. But with the food/water system in place I have high hopes that food types (if certain types of food last longer then others) might be a currency used or even base materials for crafting...but if the materials end up happening and each account can only have one character a lot of players will be left behind.

Two part question what is the current item/items being used as currency for trades or is it just nothing in particular at the moment and just minerals for crafting.

What does reputation within a tribe really do. I read the post "Conflict, Death, Consequences and Decisions" and a lot of really neat things in there that made me excited about the game. I understand that one alignment can't have that huge of an advantage over another for balance sake but if a player is to choose evil is there anything that they get over being able to loot/pillage other tribes or is that it and if so taking evil over neutral or good just to be able to loot/pillage seems like a fairly small thing to get over you being slaughtered by everyone in the game.

Umm that is about all the questions I can think of but if you have any information you would like to give please do. Also I did search for some of these questions before asking them but I got nothing that answered them or I simply didn't know how to phrase the question in a short format to search.

Quote Originally Posted by deathfromace View Post
    I have a couple questions before I decide if I want to pre-order this game.

Does it have the same look/combat system that Fallen Earth and most "sand-box" games have. Example: You are always on combat but to interact with things you have to hit tab to switch to look and have to push tab again to do anything combat. I am mainly looking forward to a system that works much like Fallout has as in you always do combat but if you look at an item you can interact with the game knows to pick/use the item instead of trying to hit it.

I am sure this next one is how I think it will be but never know. Will this game have a set number of "skill points" that limit how much your character can know...much like the system Mortal Online has.

I heard there are no NPCs in the game and I think its a great idea but with that I am wondering how trading will happen. If its left up to players I have a bad feeling the game will end up like Diablo II did and certain items will act much like Diablos stone of jordan (sojs). This means that if the game has no real currency the trading between players will sooner or later be dictated by the rare items in the game and if you want to trade for something the odds are it would take just as long to find something people actually want then to just make the item for yourself. But with the food/water system in place I have high hopes that food types (if certain types of food last longer then others) might be a currency used or even base materials for crafting...but if the materials end up happening and each account can only have one character a lot of players will be left behind.

Two part question what is the current item/items being used as currency for trades or is it just nothing in particular at the moment and just minerals for crafting.

What does reputation within a tribe really do. I read the post "Conflict, Death, Consequences and Decisions" and a lot of really neat things in there that made me excited about the game. I understand that one alignment can't have that huge of an advantage over another for balance sake but if a player is to choose evil is there anything that they get over being able to loot/pillage other tribes or is that it and if so taking evil over neutral or good just to be able to loot/pillage seems like a fairly small thing to get over you being slaughtered by everyone in the game.

Umm that is about all the questions I can think of but if you have any information you would like to give please do. Also I did search for some of these questions before asking them but I got nothing that answered them or I simply didn't know how to phrase the question in a short format to search.
    Does it have the same look/combat system that Fallen Earth and most "sand-box" games have.
    To your first question, I never played Fallen Earth. The combat is you press a button to engage your mouse to become your cross hairs and you engage with your left and right clicks *left hand swing, right hand swing*. You don't need to target your enemies as it is whomever's hitbox is within your reach, will be damaged *even tribemates when you go pvping together*.
    Will this game have a set number of "skill points" that limit how much your character can know...much like the system Mortal Online has.
    2nd question, I am unsure if you are referring to skill points or attribute points but...every tradecraft and every skill is do-able by everyone in the game. By chosing one when you create character you are "specialized" in that skill by starting with the appropriate tools as well as 25 starting skill *versus 5 normal start skill*.
    I heard there are no NPCs in the game and I think its a great idea but with that I am wondering how trading will happen.
    3rd question, there are no npcs that give quests in the game, but there are NPCs to kill such as bears, raccoons, deer, etc and these critters have bones and other stuff used in crafting armor. There is a form of quest but only obtainable from entering another player's village and interacting with a totem that grants quests that the homestead created! thats right, you make the quest, you give the reward, and you post what you want in trade for your reward.
    4th question, there are certain items that can be scavenged from the earth that are of high value *both in a crafting sense, and in a monetary sense*. These resources will likely be acceptable tender for items or tools you want from another tribe.
    What does reputation within a tribe really do.
    It plays a pretty major role actually. You can be Good, Neutral, or Evil tribe. Each carries its own consequences but as far as I have tested (I am evil) when you become evil you can no longer rez at your current death location as a ghost, and become resurrected at your homestead/tribe. I know if your neutral/good you get to spawn as a ghost where you died after your timer runs out and come back with some hp etc and might stand a chance of jumping the guy that jumped you.

Hope that is enough to wet your appetite for now, there really is everything explained on the forums etc or IRC chat room which you can join without an account etc. Good luck Deathfromace

-Rambo

Quote Originally Posted by jeru View Post
    To your first question, I never played Fallen Earth. The combat is you press a button to engage your mouse to become your cross hairs and you engage with your left and right clicks *left hand swing, right hand swing*. You don't need to target your enemies as it is whomever's hitbox is within your reach, will be damaged *even tribemates when you go pvping together*.
    Well lets say I am looking at a totem with my weapon out. Can I just right-click on it normally or would I have to go into a sort of "look-mode" to do so. In Fallen Earth (and I believe Mortal) they have combat and interact with separated.

2nd question, I am unsure if you are referring to skill points or attribute points but...every tradecraft and every skill is do-able by everyone in the game. By chosing one when you create character you are "specialized" in that skill by starting with the appropriate tools as well as 25 starting skill *versus 5 normal start skill*.
    I understand how the general system works but could one character become a master in all the skills or is there a limit on how many points go into each one. As in can one character become maxed out in swords, bows, and axes.

3rd question, there are no npcs that give quests in the game, but there are NPCs to kill such as bears, raccoons, deer, etc and these critters have bones and other stuff used in crafting armor. There is a form of quest but only obtainable from entering another player's village and interacting with a totem that grants quests that the homestead created! thats right, you make the quest, you give the reward, and you post what you want in trade for your reward.
    Not what I was asking but its nice information.

4th question, there are certain items that can be scavenged from the earth that are of high value *both in a crafting sense, and in a monetary sense*. These resources will likely be acceptable tender for items or tools you want from another tribe.
    A bit more towards what I wanted to know.

It plays a pretty major role actually. You can be Good, Neutral, or Evil tribe. Each carries its own consequences but as far as I have tested (I am evil) when you become evil you can no longer rez at your current death location as a ghost, and become resurrected at your homestead/tribe. I know if your neutral/good you get to spawn as a ghost where you died after your timer runs out and come back with some hp etc and might stand a chance of jumping the guy that jumped you.
    Sadly this reads as another negative towards being evil along with the whole people can kill you at any time thing. So that means so far evil can pillage/loot but have to deal with getting killed a good amount and running all the way back to their tribe.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by deathfromace View Post
    Like Fallen Earth, you have a “combat mode”, click a button and your character changes stance and a small reticle kicks in. Right and left mouse clicks are assigned to attacks (also block and dodge by pressing an additional key, not in FE).

Unlike Fallen Earth, there are not 50+ combat related skills to use that require an insane number of hotkeys or switching out of combat mode to initiate skills with mouse clicks.

At the moment, combat is not very polished and I will not try to predict or spin the “potential propaganda” machine. If combat is really important to you, chances are you will be disappointed at its current state.

Then again, as former FE player (myself included), you should okay with an antiquated combat system.

As for skills, there is a soft cap, skills decay just as stats and anyting else in the game. if you do nto upkeep your skill but using that skill you start loosing skill
    points in that skill. this makes sure you wont be able to master it all, and as the game grows you will need to make more critical choices what skills to maintain/use.

Combat is not a huge deal to me but I would like it to actually look nice. I have heard that a overhaul to the combat system is coming but not sure what that will bring as I have seen the current system in videos and it looks like it just needs a bit of polish and more animations...so i'm sure whatever is done to it will be enough.

I did end up coming across the whole skill decay thing and that sounds great but the main thing I am trying to find out is if a person would potentially take a day or two a week to use all the skills and keep them up. Or is there going to be something that makes it (other then decay) impossible to master everything. For clarification I want it so no one can master everything and for all I know soft cap can mean yes someone can mastery everything if they continue to use all the different skills but as i'm not positive on the meaning I want to make sure.

The only variables I can think of that would limit you from being a master of all (excluding decay) are time and resources. It would be rather difficult to grind up woodwork when you don’t have easy access to wood. Keep in mind, while you’re focusing on one you are neglecting others.

You would have to carefully cycle through those skills which would be challenging because we don’t know the skill increase formula (yet). In addition, if two players put in the same amount of game time, obviously the one who focused on a primary skill would be further along than the one who tried to cycle through them all.