Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How is the Skill Cap?

I admit I was shot down in another thread cause i didn't know about the skill cap

How does it work? I only have DF (no cap) and fallen earth (max points in a given skill are determined by stats) to compare with, if somebody would enlighten me -

Is there a max amount of the sum of total skill points?

Tbh i think no one has a clue. Would also know how it works

jooky, virtus, gimme info plz

This is no skill caps says right in the FAQ's...just sayin. There is softcaps but no ceiling caps. Just once you get soooooo high it will take longer to increase per point. That is all. Hope this helps you.

5. 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM

There is only a softcap. However, you will only be able ot get a few skills very high since it will take a lot of work. As you stop using skills the points in those skills will slowly drop. If you try to skill up everything you will only be able to do them all to a normal level, but nothing spectacular.

From my understanding your stats can actually go down in less than a day if you do not keep food and water in your belly.
    that said, stats try to move toward their base. So if it falls below your base it will move slowly back up to base after you eat and drink. If you move above your base stat it becomes harder to maintain it because it wants to naturally move back down again.

Its an intresting system I am looking forward to. If I understand the approach well it will provide everyone with a sense of progress in your character but not give vets any overbearring advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtus View Post
    There is only a softcap. However, you will only be able ot get a few skills very high since it will take a lot of work. As you stop using skills the points in those skills will slowly drop. If you try to skill up everything you will only be able to do them all to a normal level, but nothing spectacular.
    Ah thanks that helps. So if iam right all the gather skills count only as light skills and you can probably max them all. The softcap will be interesting when you try to level crafting and combat stuff right. It would help really much if we know at which point it slows down. But sounds good only thing i fear are maxxed fighters with one crafting ability maxxed so a pure PVP clan can supply themself, which makes dedicated crafters kinda usless. Also i fear that hardcore players get much more promoted by spending more times in there skills

Yep.

The skills balance out because, if you want to get extremely high in one skill it will take a long time, during which your other skills will decay out of lack of use.

You will need dedicated crafters or should need them if you want very high quality weapons/armor You could be the best fighter in the world but you won't do much with a butter knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtus View Post
    You will need dedicated crafters or should need them if you want very high quality weapons/armor You could be the best fighter in the world but you won't do much with a butter knife.
    Just use the "Special" weapon bound to you...it about as good as they get. Not much need for weapon crafterss, as specials can oneshot you, and not worry about losing it.