Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    You expected the game to be fully stable at pre-launch? I can understand that, I guess. Was it realistic? maybe. Would it be fair to say that there was a fairly significant chance that there would be some issues? definately. This game has a lot of features that just have not been done before and to jump down the throats of the guys trying to get it fixed and out the door seems more than a little unproductive.

You could use the following template to talk about almost every mmo launch:

I played _______ in the Open Beta test for about a week and it was great fun with only a little bit of lag and a few bugs that were mostly annoyances.

Overall I would say that if _______ can eliminate the unexplainable server lag, _____ will be just as great as it looked to be in the Open Beta. I must say I'm a bit disappointed in the number of lag problems on the retail servers, but hopefully they will be fixed soon.

When the game is running smoothly it is polished with a well-designed concept.

______ has high standards, but they were a bit too anxious with ______, so their launch has the usually problems I've seen in MMORPGs. However it still will probably be the best MMORPGS.

ps. i ripped this from a post in Nov 2004. What happened in 2004.

I hear Rift is unbelievably stable. Yeah, it's a lot like WoW and you'll probably be bored within a week but at least then you will have something to do for the next few days before this one gives launch another go. Or hell for a couple bucks you can have FFXI which is just as good as Rift.

you also have to remember, that if the game goes badly..and flops there is 2 situations that happen:

1. you (the player) are out $40, cant play that game..feel it was a waste of money and angry about it. and go "man that sucked" and happily move onto a new MMO/game as xsyon faded from your memory.

2. them (the dev team) have lost TONS of money, lots of sleepless nights fixing bugs and eating antacids stressing over the health of the game and the issues unforeseen to you, having your game die, quite possibly out of a job and source of income for your family, have large amounts of end users on top of it that you tried to please with by handling the problems that came the best you could, and be known as a dev that your first major release was a bomb..

granted buying a game and having it flop and you spent $40 on it is bad, and you have every right to feel the way you do about it.
    but in the big scope of the picture where everyone involved is seen, you (the player) got a pretty good deal compared to the devs

Im in NO way saying xsyon is dying, going to die, or is "spiraling around the drain".
    just merely pointing out in a general sense of how each side in a bad situation like that is going to be at the end of the day...and to me, my $40 gamble on an indy game that may or may not go badly..doesn't seem that big a deal on my end.

Just something to chew on:

Xsyon Development programmers. There are 12 main developers.
    Jordi Grau Davis
    Aleksey Egoshin
    Dmitriy Chernov
    Evgeniy Myasnikov
    Filipp Pavlov
    Ilia Pantyhov
    Jamie Eckmier
    Julio Rincon
    Ekaterina Andreeva
    Maurici Grau Ribes
    Pepe Davis
    Yuri Vinokurov

Additional Developers

Aleksey Serbyakov : programmer
    Evgeniy Yurjev: artist
    Iulian Cebotari: artist
    Mauricio Rivera: artist
    Rich Bates: website
    Sloan Venables: programmer
    Yulia Khavkunova: asset organization

A quote for you.
    We’ve got over 140 developers on World of Warcraft, but each individual team, we usually try to be like 5 people...
    edit. no reason I used Blizzard, but it was the most handy info I had at the time on dev team sizes.

Personaly I don't complain I just decided not to play before the final wipe. I plan what I'll do, and I understood the game. Xsyon is a game that we'll need months and years to do what we want. So playing now is just useless.

I think the game population is starting to take damage now. Over the past few days, I've seen fewer and fewer people log back in after the latest crash, to the point that our Tribe is barely functioning at all. We were all so eager on launch day, with our plans to run to the camp, set it up, etc. Now that we've done it 10 times, hardly anybody does it anymore. Probably 75% of our players don't even bother anymore.

This kind of continuous dashing of hopes is detrimental to the game's population.

Of course I understand that the devs are working as hard as possible, and they are doing a great job. Nothing we say on the forums can affect that.

But there seems to be no internal QA for the game. It comes back up, and is completely unplayable (cannot even create a character). Didn't anyone check this before subjecting the whole community to it? I would suggest that Xsyon tell the public that the game is on hold, while they do a bunch of internal testing, rather than subject us all to 25 crashes a day.

Quote Originally Posted by tommybomb View Post
    It was a good try and I understand the spirit behind your post. The logic is just a bit off.
    oh I was never trying to state that they was some force of endless selfless asperation..just stating I always sort of see the "the game is dying..I was totally robbed, raped, and betrayed" type posts as the selfish "me" mentality of sorts..the feelings they have are justified, but the approach of how they represent them to everyone else is of a bad light.

as when the games dies, they have no concern for the people that tried to do all they could, and failed, and lost everything..they only have concern for "WTF i cant play the game anymore? you devs SUCK EPIC FAIL on your part, thats $40 ill never see again...thanks dev team >".

maybe its just my nature...Id walk away saying I experinced the rise and fall of said game, tell the devs they did what they could, hope they learn from mistakes and pick up thier ashes and try again..and if I thought they had good intentions, just bad rookie mistakes that Id offer to take a gamble again with them if they try a venture into making another game.

Show me the post where they PROMISED to have the game launch on time.

" ...and just not logged in while the tests were happening."

That is my point. That is what a lot of people are doing, not logging in anymore. That kind of ruins the testing, with many fewer people playing, and also tends to discourage people from playing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    Show me the post where they PROMISED to have the game launch on time.
    lol im a bit neutral in this debate but come on they dont need to say "i promise" to make it real. this isnt school playtime is it? If you advertise a launch date and fail to meet it, especially if u sell pre orders on that basis you have to take some crap for it. It would be no good just saying " well we had our fingers crossed and we didnt say promise"