Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unarmed Combat Character Creation Nonsensical

So, you create a character and pick "Unarmed Combat" as your first drop-down choice. Then, you second drop-down asks what type of weapon you want to specialize in... ummm... none because I'm unarmed? Shouldn't we be able to pick Dodging or Parrying as our second drop-down choice if we pick Unarmed Combat as our first?

Thoughts on starting as unarmed combat?

Hadn't really thought of it, but seems to make sense.

That weapon is worth picking even if you fight unarmed because it's also a tool.

choose axes and unless you use your hands to chop down trees

The second choice more means, "what weapon do you want to start with in your off hand?"

I choose blades so that I can skin critters. I suppose you could pick Picks so you can smash rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by YamiOkami View Post
    choose axes and unless you use your hands to chop down trees
    our converstation as cut short wasn't it lol

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaldren View Post
    So, you create a character and pick "Unarmed Combat" as your first drop-down choice. Then, you second drop-down asks what type of weapon you want to specialize in... ummm... none because I'm unarmed? Shouldn't we be able to pick Dodging or Parrying as our second drop-down choice if we pick Unarmed Combat as our first?

Thoughts on starting as unarmed combat?
    Its much more than this. The lack of starting options is a bit confusing.

If im going combat, shouldnt i be able to choose more combat realted skills? Do i need to choose 3 crafting realted skill to boost? At the very least let me choose foraging to go with the logging skill i wont use and the basket weaving skill ill use once to make one basket.

I think just just simply need more options all around. If i want combat, i should be able to choose not just armed combat or unarmed. I should be able to choose two weapon skills perhaps unarmed as a backup and clubs...or whatever. In fact, we should be able to choose both armed and anarmed at the expense of forgoing a boost to crafting and resource skills....what if my combat character loses his weapons, now im on par with a crafter in unarmed combat?

The crafting realted skills are overwhelming....do i need logging/fishing/hunting/terraforming options? Nope...but i got to pick at least one right? After hiding that is, since its one of the few combat related skills in these options.

I like the dodging/parry/unarmed/armed selection tab, however lets put a few of these skills in with the craft related options. So i can go armed/dodge/hiding/clubs something of that sort.

Just an idea...right now i feel like a good portion of these starter skills dont really apply to a combat character. Even on the crafting characters i make, it seems theres not may good choices to combine with the one actual craft we get to pick....backetweaving and hunting and logging? add foraging since its usefull no matter who you are, scavanging is good for all crafters, but lets add some defensive options from the combat tab into these categories. I know crafters will at some point use dodge or parry....or at least need to use.

Anyway, being forced to choose skills you dont use or wont use often is quite a waste...thse skills decay with inactivity i am to understand....so lets give more options so people can pick skill they will actually use. I dont see why we cant choose a combination of ANY skills in game to boost along with a craft...

I'm okay with starting with a crappy combination of both Combat and Crafting skills.

In time you'll only have the ones you use. Makes sense you can't start as really good in either.

Fine the way it is imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot View Post
    I'm okay with starting with a crappy combination of both Combat and Crafting skills.

In time you'll only have the ones you use. Makes sense you can't start as really good in either.

Fine the way it is imo.
    Well they could go two routes that would work just fine...no skill choices just a craft, and what i described in my post above...leave no skill out across the 3 choice boxes.

Theres no point to choosing a skill you wont use if its going to decay from inactivity anyway. Just adds confusion for new players.

From a storyline point of view, one could say that the only people who were able to survive this long were those who had a mix of combat skills and crafting skills. Purely-combat people starved or froze to death, but not before killing off all the pure crafters.