My Proposal For A Starter Tool Fix

It takes away from the game when players can just create new characters to get all their tools.... Here are my ideas.

Bound Items = Bad idea
    1. It's not realistic
    2. I can't let my tribe mates or friends borrow them
    3. Not storing takes away my inventory space

Timer = Not the best idea
    1. What if you aren't happy with something? Better to re-roll sooner than later.

My solution:
    Starter tools that are flagged "starter tool" for the first 24 hours of their existence.
    If the tool's original owner is deleted, then the flagged tool also gets deleted or degrades very quickly.
    It doesn't matter where the tool is or who has it, if the character goes, so does the tool.

One may argue that this does not solve the problem of people ganking new players to take their tools.
    Well, that problem is a seperate issue altogether, and should be left up to an alignment system or organized player governance to solve.
    Or you can view my idea fora solution here:
    http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...w-Palyer-Ganks

Also, I don't know what solution is best when compared to the reality of programming. I would assume a timer is easiest.

“Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.”

Hmm, so my title doesn't have "WoW" in it so no one views it? Interesting... I have a solid idea here, recognize my genius damn youuuus!

Eh, not really coming up with a solution that is workable really. Starter tools are already of really low durability and quality. It doesn't take much grinding by a Toolmaker to make better ones.

Secondly, have you ever programmed a game in your life? lol. Do you have any idea the mechanics of "tagging" different pieces of equipment to a player, so the database knows if the player doesn't exist, either can the object? Be glad it works for the 1 man totems, though that's an entirely different function. What you're asking for in that "red" part, is no small change to how the game operates at the moment. (Notice that the starter tools has no "made by" on them, has to do with the fact they aren't made, but generated by the game engine.)

Eh, personally, I'm fine the way starter tools are now. Low quality, low durability. What I'm not fine with is people making 3-5 characters so they can have all starter tools, that takes the point away from starting as a ToolCrafter. A simple 6 or 12 hour timer on deleting a character after creation would more easily fix the scenario you are asking for here to be changed.

Hear Hear Belight. I made a Dream catcher suggestion http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...Dream-Catchers and only 3 people posted on it. It deals with spawning and religion in game.

Your idea does sound like it could work. I was thinking maybe make them trade only and not loot able on death with a very harsh decaying penalty when traded.

Quote Originally Posted by willbonney View Post
    Eh, not really coming up with a solution that is workable really. Starter tools are already of really low durability and quality. It doesn't take much grinding by a Toolmaker to make better ones.

Secondly, have you ever programmed a game in your life? lol. Do you have any idea the mechanics of "tagging" different pieces of equipment to a player, so the database knows if the player doesn't exist, either can the object? Be glad it works for the 1 man totems, though that's an entirely different function. What you're asking for in that "red" part, is no small change to how the game operates at the moment. (Notice that the starter tools has no "made by" on them, has to do with the fact they aren't made, but generated by the game engine.)

Eh, personally, I'm fine the way starter tools are now. Low quality, low durability. What I'm not fine with is people making 3-5 characters so they can have all starter tools, that takes the point away from starting as a ToolCrafter. A simple 6 or 12 hour timer on deleting a character after creation would more easily fix the scenario you are asking for here to be changed.
    Only solution once again is the problem in this scenario. Campers will kill you take your items and you will be stuck for 6-12 hours now without any tools. You won't play.

Easiest solution is to make new players safe for a VERY short amount of time to clear the loading zone/ Many of them die before they are even done loading. If you give them a 5 minute timer,block all trading, and don't cause any stamina loss they should be able to put enough ground in between them and the griefers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    Easiest solution is to make new players safe for a VERY short amount of time to clear the loading zone/ Many of them die before they are even done loading. If you give them a 5 minute timer,block all trading, and don't cause any stamina loss they should be able to put enough ground in between them and the griefers.
    Well thet doesn't address the issue in this thread, which is people making new characters to get all tools.
    This responce would be a better fit in my other thread:
    http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...w-Palyer-Ganks

Sure I will Tehroth.

Just make a few friends, find some help, continue to play.

What the hell do we have toolcrafters for when people seem to be obviously avoiding the very idea of socializing and working / buying / stealing resources and tools.

Need a hammer? Ask someone for one in return that you work some resources for him like scrap.
    Need a screwdriver? Barter one of the items you dont need for one.
    Need a craft knife? Nobody will give you one? One option is to take it from someone else.

Theres a multitude of possibilities in between, easiest way is to barter for items. Every day i've been in the game i've seen people trading and working for tools, why is it that few of you spend more time writing posts about your shitty noobie tools instead of acquiring better ones in a sandbox game.

#1 !!!!!! FIX !!!!!!!

Starter tools need to be Really bad quality and in worn condition, but one should be able to craft them from the most basic of resources, like build a hammer with twigs branches rocks etc. Avoid people stealing the shitty tools and allow people to get the very basics themselves when they do occasionally lose their starting gear.