Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackzilla View Post
    Risk is when you see "Crafting failed" trust me the heart pounds when it takes forever to get some components and only watch them vanish. Just sayin...
    as a combat character, i can loose all those items i cant make quite quickly. also if the death penalty is implimented, not only will i lose my stuff but my hard earned stats, stats that a crafter will never lose, especially if they stay inside of their safzone, and move it when needed.

how is it as little risk as you state?
    we dont have unlimited trees inside out ring, after an hour..we need to leave to get trees.
    and nothing more vulnerable than a crafter with low strength and stamina, trying to drag a full log to his camp at snail speed...its like going downtown at midnight with money taped to your pants and wearing handcuffs trying to fight people off of you.
    we don't have fish in our ring usually, we are defenseless of sort while fishing(nothing in one hand fishing pole in the other..which doesn't do much for damage)

even if we DO manage to see you right before the first swing, we have to stop fishing, try to switch to a combat weapon, and fight you back
    by that time the combat PvP player has hit us twice, for massive damage due to the 90str/90agility...us fighting back usually is useless mostly, as we have more stats in crafting related, compared to HP, combat speed, and damage.

so we try to run..with out non-90 agility, we are easy slow targets just giving you free back slaps until we die.

so granted the 'active" risks we have that we purposely put ourselves into are low 9as compared to a PvP that goes in knowing its a fight)
    but our 'passive' risks of what CAN happen isn't as low as your vision of the impenetrable bubble of safety makes it seem

Quote Originally Posted by MrCarrier View Post
    So?

Looks to me you're singling out the solo player. That player better be able to keep everything he owns in his backpack and pouches. Because if I come strolling across a bunch of baskets in a recently stripped area of ground, you know what I'm gonna do?

Communicate to my tribe that I just found a lot of stuff. Temp leave my tribe, place my own homestead totem right next to all them goodies. Then they belong to me. (Yes, it works. Me and my tribe-mates tested it) I take everything I can, take down my totem, and sit safely in my tribe area for the 30 minute timer to tick away so I can get invited back to my original tribe.

And if that solo crafter is able to carry all his stuff in his backpack and pouches, chances are he is moving pretty darn slow. This makes for an easy kill. All his stuff will get looted anyway.

Sounds like a risk to me...
    Im talking about in a tribe, the crafter stay at home in safety, harvesting and terriforming insides the safe zone, all while progressing....me as the tribe defender must venture out and skill my cobat skills while risking my loot and possibly my stats. see the diffrence?

Quote Originally Posted by dxwarlock View Post
    how is it as little risk as you state?
    we dont have unlimited trees inside out ring, after an hour..we need to leave to get trees.
    and nothing more vulnerable than a crafter with low strength and stamina, trying to drag a full log to his camp at snail speed...its like going downtown at midnight with money taped to your pants and wearing handcuffs trying to fight people off of you.
    we don't have fish in our ring usually, we are defenseless of sort while fishing(nothing in one hand fishing pole in the other..which doesn't do much for damage)

even if we DO manage to see you right before the first swing, we have to stop fishing, try to switch to a combat weapon, and fight you back
    by that time the combat PvP player has hit us twice, for massive damge due to the 90str/90agility...which usually is useless mostly, as we have more stats in crafting related, compared to HP, combat speed, and damage.

so we try to run..with out non-90 agility, we are easy slow targets just giving you free back slaps until we die.

so granted the 'active" risks we have that we purposely put ourselves into are low 9as compared to a PvP that goes in knowing its a fight)
    but our 'passive' risks of what CAN happen isn't as low as your vision of the impenetrable bubble of safety makes it seem
    How many trees do you need? Trees can grow back. The problem is the junk piles and mobil safezones. Depleted your resources? Just abandon the totem, log off for a while, return and place it near a new resource heavy location. You really dont need to be building defenses anyway if you got a magical safe zone.

Quote Originally Posted by fflhktsn View Post
    How many trees do you need? Trees can grow back. The problem is the junk piles and mobil safezones. Depleted your resources? Just abandon the totem, log off for a while, return and place it near a new resource heavy location. You really dont need to be building defenses anyway if you got a magical safe zone.
    you ever waited for a tree to grow back? or made a wall? they need 10 logs each..so the 5 trees we have makes 3 walls secrions and 1/2 a tent..
    6 of us cleared out the entire junk pile inside our ring in 4 days..
    you really think crafters want to build a village, waste that time getting baskets, buildings to put them in, walls, etc..to go
    'lets move, abandon all this we did, and start over..because we have no junk within 50m of us"
    no we dont..

Civilizations even in especially dangerous eras have never been able to muster the resources to have more than a fraction of their population dedicated to combat (or for that matter to religion, science, or anything else beyond food, clothing, and shelter). The more intricate the combat gear, the more non-combat labor was required to make and maintain it. It took the labor of many farmers and artisans to support one knight and a warhorse. It took far more labor to construct and maintain defense fortifications. Although Xsyon isn't identical to medieval Europe, I still don't see why a tribe of 20 with more than half of them crafters is unrealistic. It seems very realistic to me, and if mining, farming, and the keeping of livestock are implemented, more crafters will be necessary.

Im talking about in a tribe, the crafter stay at home in safety, harvesting and terriforming insides the safe zone, all while progressing....me as the tribe defender must venture out and skill my cobat skills while risking my loot and possibly my stats. see the diffrence?
    No. IMO, if that's the life a crafter wants to lead, then let them go for it. Sounds boring to me, but to each his own. The 'sandbox' game allows them this privilege.

Want an easier way to skill up your combat? Have one tribe-mate volunteer to leave the tribe for 30 minutes. Beat on each other for 30 minutes. Little risk of losing your stuff since you guys are friends, right? Skill up, rinse, repeat.

Those magical safe zones are only temporary. =P

I came out of Eve where MANY players were happy with the near total security of guarded systems. Rapid gains were to be had in low/nul security space, and reflected a proper risk/reward ratio.

If some people are happy crafting grass baskets all day, leave them be (tribal land warfare will address this after prelude). You'll have plenty of chances to gank hunters and scavengers who are more likely to be ready for your antics for the time being.

A lot of you should also come to realize that your way of playing does not reflect everyone else's. If you're so starved for blood and recognition, go have a shot at some 0.0 sec space in Eve or some Battlefield 2.

The role of the crafter is to supply others with what they need. They're not combat speced so why would they engage combat if they can't win, they have people to protect them.

If crafters would loose stats on fail craft they would loose all their stats in one day. It's in combat speced person interest to have highly skilled crafter on their side when your weapon dmg and durability depends on crafting skill. It's the same with armor. If there is no one to build you a house, your comfort will drop affecting your combat skills.
    You can do it yourself but it'll be low quality and break after few days or faster(combat decreases item durability further).

If you think you'll be able to loot every thing you need, than you'll probably wrong couse crafters won't be carrying anything and others will be PvP players.